Home PTB Feedback Archives 3.4.0 PTB Gameplay Feedback
The 4.6.0 PTB is now available on Steam. For full details, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/231267

Balanced landing is AWFUL.

ZumzZumz Member Posts: 66
edited November 2019 in 3.4.0 PTB Gameplay Feedback

Honestly, playing with Balanced Landing is just a pain in the butt now. Your grunts are only inaudible when you're not exhausted? What? Then at least make them inaudible while exhausted as well. The stagger was much better, expect no one to use Balanced Landing anymore. It's so terrible. Please, BHVR, do not change it. Infinites can still be abused. For the love of whatever, change the infinites, not the perk.

Edit: If there's a change I'd suggest, I have two

1: Reduce the stagger to a 55-60%. I'm not sure what the current stagger is, but perhaps just reducing it.

2: Make it silent all the time. Remove stagger, but make it silent during landing, exhausted or not.

Post edited by Zumz on

Comments

• FairP1ayerFairP1ayer Member Posts: 451
    edited November 2019

The change makes it a stealth perk, not something to help with chases. If BL is so OP right now, reduce the stagger to 50% when not exhausted.

Post edited by FairP1ayer on
  • Its_Vigo_HereIts_Vigo_Here Member Posts: 118

As someone who plays in high ranks on both killer and survivor I understand why the change needed to happen. This perk enabled a few new infinite loops, As a killer if a survivor can loop you for 3 minutes, (Keep in mind that Balanced landing is used in conjunction with other exhaustion perks so people don't have to deal with the downside of balanced landing) then thats three gens getting rushed in the start of the game with no real say so from the killers perspective. As a survivor there is literally no reason not to take it, this is a perk that makes many maps 10 times easier to loop. Ontop of this killers because they move faster get launched forward when they run out a window, so BL Allows you to fall straight down while the killer falls in an arch which is an added line of sight blocker every time you jump from a high place. This is a perk that enables you to get away with so many problematic looping locations that its just why not take it. This ontop of the fact that its taken with other exhaustion perks that are top Teir like Dead hard means that in higher ranks Balanced landing is overly represented.

making it so that Balanced landing allows you to play more stealthfully instead of it being just an perk that upgrades chases to god teir levels of frustrations is far more understandable. I can see how this perk can be used but in all honestly the changes made to it will see this perk going from a must have to a... almost sees no play. I would likely change it so that the perk can actually always give you silent falls even if exhausted because silent falling is not that much of a benfit unless its able to be used quite a bit.

I am not sure how I would fix this either, Its something that could really ONLY be fixed with a change to map design on other maps to make this perk more viable. In general if you vault a window and fall a great distance your not only getting a line of sight break but your also getting a speed boost and no stagger. This unlike ANY other exhaustion perk is extremely powerful and right now its just too much, however this might be a swing in the other direction with this change... Quite honestly I am just tired of seeing it stacked upon dead hard and other exhaustion perks, not for its own ability but so we can enable loops that make this game feel tedious to play as killer. I am glad its being changed I just wish we could find a better balance for balanced landing.

• ZumzZumz Member Posts: 66

It doesn't prog if there is exhaustion. You make noise even if exhausted, so no, it isn't a stealth perk.

I agree this is a huge problem, I think if you wanna make it a stealth perk you have to remove noise on all falls even if exhausted.

• JejuneJejune Member Posts: 510

They wont do it because that's the reason they removed stagger so it doesnt have a passive

That makes this difficult, I don't like the idea of stacking exhaustion perks because I feel its just frustrating to deal with. That said yes this is a change that needs to happen, I think balanced landing is just going to have to take it on the chin and make room for lithe and SB and Dead Hard

• DecarcassorDecarcassor Member Posts: 537

It should still reduce the noises when you are exhausted. If it doesn't its a bug.

Read the description in game.

It basically says *Balanced landing doesnt work while exhausted*

Also I checked it myself you make noise while exhausted

As someone who plays in high ranks on both killer and survivor I understand why the change needed to happen. This perk enabled a few new infinite loops, and made chases extend way past when they should of. As a killer if a survivor can loop you for 3 minutes, which is why BL is used in the first place then thats three gens getting rushed in the start of the game. As a survivor there is literally no reason not to take it. This is a perk that enables you to get away with so many problematic looping locations that its just why not take it. This ontop of the fact that its taken with other exhaustion perks that are top Teir like Dead hard means that in higher ranks Balanced landing is overly represented.

In my humble opinion making it so that Balanced landing allows you to play more stealthfully instead of it being just an perk that upgrades chases to god teir levels of frustrations is far more understandable. I can see how this perk can be used but in all honestly the changes made to it will see this perk going from a must have to a... almost sees no play.

I am not sure how I would fix this either, Its something that could really ONLY be fixed with a change to map design on other maps to make this perk more viable. In general if you vault a window and fall a great distance your not only getting a line of sight break but your also getting a speed boost and no stagger. This unlike ANY other exhaustion perk is extremely powerful and right now its just too much, however this might be a swing in the other direction with this change... Quite honestly I am just tired of seeing it stacked upon dead hard and other exhaustion perks, not for its own ability but so we can enable loops that make this game feel tedious to play as killer. I am glad its being changed I just wish we could find a better balance for balanced landing.

People will just stop using just like they didnt use it before they buffed it in 2.0.0.

Right now it's high risk high reward kinda perk, because of scarcity of elevation points on most maps.

3.4.0 BL is high risk low reward aka just like before 2.0.0. There are better choices. Hell even head on is better and more reliable.

• HakuHaku Member Posts: 568
    edited November 2019

The fact people take both dead hard and BL is the fact they need the stagger - it is that obvious. And the reason is the map design - NOT the perk. The devs make all these maps with loop in high places - ofc everyone will want to bring stagger. Look at the last map they made - Hawkins. Literally almost all the loops on the first floor are in high places and you need stagger reduction to make these loops work. Many people keep saying the word infinite which is such bullshit. Most of the time there is a way to prevent that but people are just bad at this game and start screaming infiniteee infiniteee because tey have not much knowledge how to counter things. I had to fight over a guy on reddit who said Hawkins has an infinite with BL in the room with the 2 pallets and the stairs up with 2 loops on the second floor. I literally explained to him why that is not infinite with video, that he has no map awareness and how he is supposed to counter it properly. And all he had to say back was "oh f y, it happened to me so it is true " in short, I can even link you the conversation. So if we can please drop that without any proof.

Currently the perk is just needed for some maps that are just made this way while it was useless for many other. That is what made it a balanced perk. If it had uses on every single map on many places then that would be a problem. But that is not true currently, never will be. And also Haddonfield from survivor sided with BL suddenly will become killer sided because nobody will have stagger anymore while the map will stay the same - how is that even fair ? Like the killers don't have now Lery's, Hawkins, The Game, Shelter, some Autohaven maps and other bullshit maps

What they should've done and what everyone asked about is fix the loops that are way too long whereever they are. Or make the BL to be just a stagger perk permament like now + sound reduction on CD like Q&Q when u fall, no exhausting anymore

• PolarBearPolarBear Member Posts: 1,899

Stagger reduction is too powerful. Because people used both BL and Dead Hard in the same loadout proves it. If they keep stagger reduction in the game it limits the devs map design choices because they need to juggle balancing a tile between BL and non-BL users.

Fixing the abuseable loops is not a viable option because that just means now those loops become useless for non-BL users. It's better for the longevity of the game to remove the stagger reduction.

edited November 2019

Actually it is quite the oppoisite. I am not sure if you even put much thought in what you just said ? How fixing the current loops make them useless for non BL users. They ARE currently useless for them, the fix is to make them not so useful for the BL users ... Helloo ? We are talking here about loops that are a jump from high places and can be used few times cause they are for example 2 windows very close to each other open but not a door for a shortcut for example for the killer /which usually is there on Haddonfield but killers don't really pay attention to that and that is how an infinite is born for new players but that is another story/

And I don't see how that limits them when they make maps like Hawkins. As I said all these loops are very unsafe for any non BL user if played properly by the killer and yet they are the majority of the loops on that map on the first floor. Tell me one loop on the first floor besides the one next to the basement /and above it/ that is not with a fall. I really can't think of any ... Been there few times only - I may be missing something. Just show me where are these loops for non BL users on the first floor. Cause it seems to me they on purpose make loops with stagger instead

• HargsbyHargsby Member Posts: 1
    Balanced landing is fine as it is without touching anything, the killers cry because with that perk in x situations they fail to catch the survivors ... it is simple not to follow that survivor if you know what he is going to do. in the end the murderers have to kill the survivors if or if well ... this is simple, if they change balanced landing no one will play with it so another advantage that will be useless otherwise I say, if they reduce 75 percent then to other killer perks who also do the same.

• Aven_FallenAven_Fallen Member Posts: 7,766

Of course the Change to BL is bad. It is lazy of BHVR to not care for the Maps (Haddonfield will still be awful for Killer, even without BL) and just change a Perk so it does not work anymore.

There are only a few Perks used by Survivors in High Ranks, because a) new Perks are never good enough, you can play the game with the Basegame and Halloween-DLC and you are fine as Survivor and b) other Perks get nerfed.

Just run Dead Hard. So that every Survivor in High Ranks only uses Dead Hard. Because apparently it is fun to have only like 4 Perks which are worth using.

Hawkins is a terrible map and not representative of all of Dead by Daylight. Your correct BL makes 99% of those loops take way longer and viable but it also makes the map really unfun to play. I mean there are a few loops that are just a square with a vault point. You run around a small room in a circle till the survivor decides to Jump down and BL Away. Loops in Hawkins take far to long to finish and in my opinion its a very survivor sided map. That said if you take away BL's stagger reduction then your going to find that it turns into a very killer sided map. Or maybe not I don't know I have never played hawkins where everyone was not running BL.

The problem with BL Is its over representation in high rank meta, the fact that many people consider this perk to be essential and run it with other exhaustion perks is kinda disgusting. It opens up so many different loops, it extends loop times by a ungodly amount and there is literally no reason not to take this over any other perk.

I agree that this will make balanced landing a mostly unused perk, It used to be a Low Risk High Reward kinda perk, now its a High Risk Low Reward perk. Thats a problem I agree but the degree BL is relied upon, what it enables, and how it breaks so many different maps and how it's passive effect alone extends so many different chases. Its over represented in the high ranks and for good reason, thats why I think a nerf is needed or we are going to continue fighting the same builds due to the consistency and viability BL Provides from its passive effect alone. People don't use BL For the sprint, they use it for the stagger reduction, and this stagger reduction adds too much time to the average chase on most maps. Thats why it needs a nerf.

BL Has serious problems but you do raise a valid point. Many survivor perks don't add too much to the game. So when you have a game changing perk like BL its hard to really let that go. Perks with interesting effects are few and far between on survivors. This does need to change for sure not sure how but it does. I just think we can do that with out making perks that extend the chase by actual minutes.

• PolarBearPolarBear Member Posts: 1,899

And why are those loops useless for non BL users? Because the devs had to make a choice to not make them as powerful because of the possibility of abuse by BL users.

There are a lot of vertical loops on Hawkins. There are multiple rooms with 2 floors with the railings and drops and there is the room with 2 pallets. It makes it significantly easier and less dangerous to loop in those rooms if you are using BL.

My point is that balancing vertical loops for both non-BL users and BL users is not feasible and it's better to just remove the possibility of abuse by changing BL.

edited November 2019

Hawkins is their last map which in my eyes is HUGE representative what they want to do in the future. It is huge cause they said they want to follow a direction before that map was made which means that map follows that direction for sure ....

Also I am tired of players who say inside maps are survivor sided. Just stop... It is embarrassing at this point. Literally all the similar maps where at the end of the graph the devs gave us months ago for successful escapes - at the bottom. They are killer sided big time. The survivors have so many disatvantages compared to open maps it is digusting. From simple - I can't find the last gens to a way harder where is the ruin/the last totem for noed/DL, or just the general where is the killer - left, right, up , down. But thanks that you agred atleast that most loops there are BL dependant and it will make the map even more horrible

I also diasgree about these exaggerations about how many maps can use BL to an extend where is it is way too strong. It is just a pure lie. Everyone was only against the Haddonfield loops with BL. That is just one map, not many maps ... There are many other maps like the 5 Corn maps, the 5 new Preschool maps, 5 Autohaven maps all of which have normal/or small/ use to no use at all for BL. That is 15 maps. Actually the Macmillan maps have also just a normal jump for the speed boost only interaction in few places. So these are 20 maps without getting in depth with the other.... Sure thing BL is for every map ... Meanwhile Dead Hard can be used anywhere u can run. Lithe anywhere u can vault once/even thought its still a garbo perk for other reasons/, Head on in any locker on any map

I've seen BL extend many loops in Coal Tower, Hadden Field, Bedham Preschool, Hawkins for sure, Coldwin, Blackwater, and Meat Packing Factory. The fact is its possible to finish a gen in 45 seconds - 2 minutes. If a killer spends more than a minute in a chase they will lose 3-4 gens, I don't think you realize how much BL Can extend a chase on most maps past the 2 minute threshold. 3 Gens, 1 Hook just won't win games.

edited November 2019

I dont know dude. For me it seems you just dont have much experience on these maps or just blame a the perk for map design. I don't really have time to explain every map to you but Ill try with just one to make a point and tell me what do you think. Coal tower - there is just one place where you can use BL and it is a simple jump not a loop. So you use the speed up which the new perk will still have btw and that extend your loop for too long how exactly ? If we assume the guy goes back to the building for that downstairs juicy loop is that the perk or the building allowing him ? Because I can tell you he would make that loop regardless - he just needs to be faster with the jump but if he runs lithe now he will gain exactly the same distance again on the killer after the loop and he would be able to use it twice more probably. It that place upstairs was a loop that would be an another story but it is not. That is one of the actually normal uses but as u see SUPER limited on that map. It is only in that place on that map

I hate to say it, but if someone is looping you that bad on Badham with BL, you aren’t playing it right. Autohaven and Coldwind are more of LOS and mind game loops, as long as you can read how they’ll loop the vehicles, they aren’t a problem. Although I’ll admit removing the Harvester tech made that stronger for Survivors but that’s being fixed shortly.

• Luigifan64Luigifan64 Member Posts: 1,052

Lol wut no it isn’t, bad map design is what makes it seem like it’s over powered when it really isn’t. It’s THE most situation exhaustion perk in the game and this nerf is just going to make it worthless.

I agree with what you said 100%, which is why I personally don’t think it should be touched, but if bE feels like it’s a problem and hinders map development like some people are saying in here, I’d rather BL be nerfed than reworked. The way BL functions is totally different in the PTB than on live servers right now.

• thesuicidefoxthesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,227
    edited November 2019

It would have been wiser to fix the spots where Balanced Landing become too powerful, since, you know, those spots are still powerful even without it.

Haddonfield house shouldn't have windows going to the balconies, it should just be an opening.

Ward main structure needs a LOT of work. No simple fix, that place is a mess.

Game wouldn't be a problem if they just fix all the super safe pallets.

Remove certain window spawns on Mother's Dwelling. Have one of the normally closed doors open all the time on Temple (random which one).

Fix the main structure on Pantry (swamp), particularly the lower window. Add more junk around the edge of the boat (Pale Rose, swamp) so that it's harder to drop down from the vault locations and loop back into the boat.

Fix tractors.

If anything is to be done to Balanced Landing just reduce the stagger to 50% instead of 75% and increase the exhaustion timer to 80/70/60.

Gutting a good perk because SOME spots in the game were too strong isn't the way to go. Those spots are still strong either way, why not fix them instead?

Post edited by thesuicidefox on
    edited November 2019

This man gets it, finally someone gets it! I also want to add that alot of the OG maps still have god loops that need to be addressed, but to stay on topic I will only mention Coal Tower, which BL admittedly helps make it to the toxic window around The Tower much easier.

• WuhelmWuhelm Member Posts: 260

Its being changed and there os nothing you are going to do about it. It was an op perk that was abused. You must have not put much thought into your post seeing as you do not see this problem.

edited November 2019

Oh yea ? Last time I checked it is up to the devs and not ... you. That is why we have the PTB and I can tell you 100% some things will change soon. Only time will tell if BL will be one of them. There were some pretty good suggestions how they can actually change it if its really so important to be done now .... and not after some map changes first

Also I just don't understand people like you who have nothing really esle to say but this is op, an infinite etc... I had a couple of these in the past days I never got a real argument why actually and believe me I even tried to look at your comments and find something for BL so I can read it and comment on this but ... there is nothing/looked real fast/. Sorry but you can't really say that and then expect people to take it serioosly I guess - like yea right I support you because ... you said it man !