Home Dead by Daylight Forums Feedback

Block User Posts, Notifications, & Messages

VisionmakerVisionmaker Member Posts: 2,051
edited July 2018 in Forum Feedback

I think it would be helpful if we could block ourselves from seeing selected users' posts, @mentions/quotes, and messages.

This will help quell uncivil conversation and behavior, and give more control to the users' in terms of what they want to read. Rather than having to report every post for violations and wait for moderator action, it would be infinitely more helpful just to snip toxicity at the bud.

I think this is more needed than ever, given that the whole Steam Review bombing events and the recent patch feedback has brought out nasty sides out of many of the players.

Comments

• Gay Myers (Luzi)Gay Myers (Luzi) Member Posts: 4,526

I had to delete, but @Visionmaker , you made laugh out loud literally with your response to the previous post.

Anyways, I would like to ask you to elobrate a bit more. Is it basically a system where you can block someone and their posts won't be shown to you anymore even if they post in the same thread as you do?

• VisionmakerVisionmaker Member Posts: 2,051

@Gay Myers (Luzi) said:
    I had to delete, but @Visionmaker , you made laugh out loud literally with your response to the previous post.

Anyways, I would like to ask you to elobrate a bit more. Is it basically a system where you can block someone and their posts won't be shown to you anymore even if they post in the same thread as you do?

;)

Yes, basically. Say I had some uncivil disagreements with some individual and I wish to stop the conversation from souring even further. Right now, he/she can @Visionmaker me and I'll be forced to see it on my notifications (unless I turn it off completely), or they're writing rude comments in a thread I am reading, among other things.

When I block that forum user, I will no longer be able to see their posts, their threads, their replies to my posts, their @mentions toward me, or their comments on my profile. They can still see my posts, and are still able to reply/comment/whatever, but I will no longer be able to see them and I will not be notified. Maybe it can even extend to posts that quote or @mention the blocked user too.

As an off-shoot, this may help with forum bots too. Like if some advertisement bot comes around in the middle of the night, we'll be able to effectively cull their posts from our own view before moderator action occurs.

• Jack11803Jack11803 Member Posts: 3,930

@Visionmaker said:

@Gay Myers (Luzi) said:

;)

Yes, basically. Say I had some uncivil disagreements with some individual and I wish to stop the conversation from souring even further. Right now, he/she can @Visionmaker me and I'll be forced to see it on my notifications (unless I turn it off completely), or they're writing rude comments in a thread I am reading, among other things.

When I block that forum user, I will no longer be able to see their posts, their threads, their replies to my posts, their @mentions toward me, or their comments on my profile. They can still see my posts, and are still able to reply/comment/whatever, but I will no longer be able to see them and I will not be notified. Maybe it can even extend to posts that quote or @mention the blocked user too.

As an off-shoot, this may help with forum bots too. Like if some advertisement bot comes around in the middle of the night, we'll be able to effectively cull their posts from our own view before moderator action occurs.

A safe space without me in it shouldn’t exist. I’m too good for this world

@Jack11803 said:

@Visionmaker said:

@Gay Myers (Luzi) said:

;)

A safe space without me in it shouldn’t exist. I’m too good for this world

Clearly an exception should be placed on certain users. Like community managers, developers, forum staff, and Jack. :)

• Maj33yMaj33y Member Posts: 236
    Why are my new threads never showing up and set to be approved and never gets approved ? What did i do wrong ? Lol 
  • Maj33yMaj33y Member Posts: 236
    Why are my new threads never showing up and set to be approved and never gets approved ? What did i do wrong ? Lol 
  • NMCKENMCKE Member Posts: 8,050

I think it would be helpful if we could block ourselves from seeing selected users' posts, @mentions/quotes, and messages.

This will help quell uncivil conversation and behavior, and give more control to the users' in terms of what they want to read. Rather than having to report every post for violations and wait for moderator action, it would be infinitely more helpful just to snip toxicity at the bud.

I think this is more needed than ever, given that the whole Steam Review bombing events and the recent patch feedback has brought out nasty sides out of many of the players.

I'm gonna bump this thread! I get attacked on every thread I make by X user, definitely would want to block people who are just plain out rude! :)
  • powerbatspowerbats Member Posts: 7,068

@Nickenzie said:

I'm gonna bump this thread! I get attacked on every thread I make by X user, definitely would want to block people who are just plain out rude! :)

I think I know who your talking about and the very obvious flamers I just don't respond too. Some on here however want to block anyone that disagrees with them or point out flaws in their arguments.

edited September 2018

@powerbats said:

@Nickenzie said:

I think I know who your talking about and the very obvious flamers I just don't respond too. Some on here however want to block anyone that disagrees with them or point out flaws in their arguments.

I think it's fair given that a lot of fervent discussions eventually boil down to personal attacks. We are already expected to be civil and endure toxic behavior. If we are able to literally ignore another person's posts, there should be less opportunity for verbal brawls.

• ceridwen309ceridwen309 Member Posts: 499

It sounds like a decent system in theory. The idea of no longer being forced to deal with harassment, trolling, or overall uncivil disagreements sounds like a nice thing for a lot of people.

I personally couldn't use it, or want it forced on me or others in any way. Not being able to see negativity and disagreements about the forum does not fix or remove said issues.

"You must see with eyes unclouded by hate." ~Princess Mononoke

• NMCKENMCKE Member Posts: 8,050
    powerbats said:

@Nickenzie said:

Yeah and I haven't been harassed by him in a while! :)

Yes, there should be a block option where you literally never see their name again.