The 3.4.2 hotfix is starting to roll out on PC and consoles. For the release schedule and patch notes, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/112060/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

The rift is still too grindy

StainsStains Member Posts: 49

So I'm back after I took a break for a month and see that nothing has been done to the rift fragment grind. You can see my previous post about the rift if you want the details but in short after you complete ALL the challenges in ALL the levels of the tome (some of the challenges are total bs but that's a topic for another day) you still need to play around 7 games (maybe more, depending on how much exp in a match you get) A DAY to unlock tier 70 in the rift (for me it averages around 4 hours a day and maybe more depending on the que times, that is if I consistently play every day which I know it won't happen since I took a longer break and probably will take more breaks in the future) assuming you play both killer and survivor for the first wins and the challenges. It is baffling to me that the devs think that this is a good idea even tho they said previously that to complete the rift you will only need to play for about an hour a day(that is a blatant lie).

As it stands right now it's only catered to the whales who can buy rift tiers (1 tier = 100 auric cells), nolifers and streamers who can sink an ungodly amount of time a day in this game which the average players can't do since they have jobs and family.

Overall I'm very disappointed how Behaviour has handled their battlepass, it's deseptive ,scummy, cash grabby and it lures us with the promise of getting our cells back but what's the point if we can't reach the end tier.

I don't hate the devs nor the game as a matter of fact I love the game and devs that made and are making it. I have spent a lot of money on the game more often to support the devs then to buy a skin that I really like and because of that it saddens me that they are willing to sacrifice good will for some money even tho this can be changed with a few tweaks.

Possible tweaks:

Half the amount of exp needed for a rift fragment.

Put more challenges in the tome for possibly more fragments.

Comments

• FibijeanFibijean Member, Trusted Posts: 3,166

The Rift is even more grindy now than it was, and it's a direct consequence of player complaints.

The devs even warned us of that when they changed the challenges to make them easier.

Originally, the challenges were designed at a certain difficulty level such that they would take a certain amount of time to complete, meaning that between the challenges and the passive XP gained while playing the game in pursuit of challenges, most people should be able to complete the Rift without having to grind extra games in between.

But because people complained that the challenges were too difficult, they've been made easier, so now the Rift is overall even more grindy than it was before.

The original 70-80 hour estimate does seem to be pretty far off, admittedly, but a significant proportion of players seem to be on track to complete the Rift all the same. Remember we're not even halfway through, and we won't know the full story until it's over. Also remember that "completable for the average player" is not the same as "completable for every player". Mathematically, it means that probably 40% of players will not be able to complete the Rift without buying progress.

• LordGlintLordGlint Member Posts: 3,383

Im currently at rift lvl 40 with tome lvl 3 barely touched yet. Figured by the time lvl 3 and 4 is done, I should be pretty much finished. I have a family including a 8 month old I have to keep an ear out for while playing, as well as a full time job. Im pretty confident I'll be able to finish up just fine considering the time for rift is ALMOST half over.

• GodDamn_AngelaGodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 838
    edited December 3

I'm at Tier 60 right now and I never paid for any levels. I still have a few Challenges in tome 3 to do too.

😶

I don't really play nonstop but I dunno.

Its not even that grindy. Stop exaggerating.

And if you don't play for a month and then don't even want to play 7 games a day for the next month, why should you be able to unlock everything in the rift?

• The_Bootie_GorgonThe_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 355

I'm under casual...I probably avg 3-4 games a night. I can't do survivor challenges because of my lousy queue times mixed with my high rank. There's no way I'll get to level 70 unless I start playing like an addict 😂 at this point.

• The_Bootie_GorgonThe_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 355

I'm under casual...I probably avg 3-4 games a night. I can't do survivor challenges because of my lousy queue times mixed with my high rank. There's no way I'll get to level 70 unless I start playing like an addict 😂 at this point.

• ElegantElegant Member Posts: 364

People have already finished the rift. It's not super hard. If I didn't have finals coming up I would be a lot further along into it than I already am. There's also still an entire month to keep grinding ranks. It's not that bad

• DelsKibaraDelsKibara Member Posts: 455

I'd like to mention that you have taken a month's long break, so of course the Rift will feel grindier than it is. You haven't played for a whole month.

This is basically why the rift is even here, besides(obviously) to make some money. They want people to play their game, and by doing so you unlock things for the game so it creates an incentive to keep playing and thus keeps the game going.

I don't understand why people think they should be able to unlock these things by not playing, without paying for it. Its confusing to say the least.

• StainsStains Member Posts: 49

The point of battlepasses be a side reward for playing every day, it's supposed to be something more for your average playtime and not having to play and grind like a mindless robot for 4 hours every day just to reach the end.

There is no satisfaction in grinding the tiers it's either commit and grind every day or don't buy it.

• TheHourManTheHourMan Member Posts: 980
    edited December 3

Oh my god it is not grindy. I did ALL of the challenges of Tomes 1 and 2 in less than a day each. 1 took me around 3 hours and 2 took me around 5. Tome 3 takes around 8 hours after the changes from what I have seen, previously taking around 10. You have 37 days left to do 8 + (tome 4 time) hours of work. That is not bad at all if you play DbD regularly.

If you are a player puts in less than 10 hours per week, then don't buy a battle pass in a game.

For me it looses the feel of just playing the game as I normally do knowing that I have to play at least 7 games if I'm to be able get the next tier for that day

• TheHourManTheHourMan Member Posts: 980

Do you realize there were people complaining that they were completing the rift too quickly? I saw people with the nectar charm in the third week of the rift.

You don't have to grind every day. There are plenty of days I haven't played or have played little and i'm still around rank 40 on the rift pass. If you don't feel satisfaction from buying the rift pass because you don't play enough, then don't buy it. It's not that grindy and it can be pretty easily accomplished within the time frame. Other games have way grindier battle passes like LoL's. You also said that you didn't play for a month. That's your fault. You chose to take the break and not play the game for 30 days. That's 30 days worth of time you could have spent trying to complete some of the challenges or leveling up the pass. If people can just take month long breaks in the middle of a pass and still finish it, it would be incredibly boring like LoL's pass is. d

My point is before the rift...someone who played 10 rounds did it because they wanted to. Now if that same person plays 10 rounds, they look at it as a grind and not the same game they were JUST playing.

It's not that I don't want to play 7 games a day, the problem is that sometimes I don't have time to be playing a game for that long

edited December 3

Yea. Its crazy. Though a lot of them seem to be the kind of people who have a "fear of missing out" and make that the most important fact.

I think, for some people, they just haven't realized nothing is different except for the fact they get more out of playing now.

I've taken a break out of frustration to see if the devs would adjust the rift, even a month ago I've made a post saying the rift is grindy and how it shouldn't be

Darn you devs for giving me free stuff for doing what I would be doing anyways!!!-shakes angry fist-

Some of these challenges though I know SOME people really had to struggle with...like fixing a gen.

Like I said it's either commit and grind every day or don't buy the pass. Not buying the pass means not getting all the cosmetics and accessories which I would be fine if after the pass they would put them in the store for auric cells

• DelsKibaraDelsKibara Member Posts: 455

They did mention they might add the items in the Rift into the Store at some point, the only thing you will be missing out are Charms. They are Rift Exclusive.

If they ever do that I definitely won't buy a pass again. That defeats the point for me

The thing is that you not getting stuff for free, having the reward be gated a huge grind means that the devs don't respect your time or your money, and it also incentivises people to spend even more on the tiers since they already made the commitment and that feel and that is a terrible and scummy way to milk your playerbase.

If the rift was free I wouldn't give a damn about it

The whole point of the pass for me is grinding for exclusive items. Most of the cosmetics items aren't that amazing. The value in them is never being able to get them again. If they take away that aspect they might as well get rid of the pass because people won't buy it. Especially if the only exclusive is the charms, which so far are extremely underwhelming and pretty irrelevant cosmetics.

• KirakuxKirakux Member Posts: 36

Personally I haven't had to much issues with it. I kinda like something that makes me work for it. I mean you're playing the game anyways...

the only quest I had an issue with was the stupid EGC unhooks. One is doable but two in one game was brutal.

tbh I was fine with all the other ones, heck I even finished all the killer ones for tome 3.

I'm also one the idiots that bought the battlepass cause I wanted the little charm at tier 70, which I finally got today. Sad about the recolors though lol.

I didnt buy any tiers though, just the battle pass and I got all my auric shards back so I'm kinda indifferent about it.

I'm probably one of the very few that's alright with all this.