The 3.4.2 hotfix is starting to roll out on PC and consoles. For the release schedule and patch notes, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/112060/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Dear devs, What is the reason...

Behind the 2 kill 2 escape balance focus?

Many people like myself believe that it's a very ineffective philosophy in that it gives experienced players too much power which in turn creates very frustrating experiences.

We don't have to look any further than Mcote's match in Korea. The frustration was obvious and while the issue was resolved, many aspects of the game continue to create unfun frustrating situations.

I can go on quite awhile about this, but I'm genuinely curious as to why this is where balance is focused and what the overall goal is behind it.

Giving us some insight might also help those of us who have concerns voice them in a way that you can understand and give us an opportunity to provide useful feedback regarding the many issues that still exist.

Comments

• immortalls96immortalls96 Member Posts: 1,865

Consider that the current philosophy sounds like killers should never truley win in an "even" fight..because two kills is at best a for them and a win for whomever escapes, therefore technically the killer still loses in that case ...seems like a rather distasteful idea to think about

• Andreyu44Andreyu44 Member Posts: 1,529

I think we should balance around hooks

• Mr_KMr_K Member Posts: 2,440

Balancing around two escape two kills is meaningless when surviving isn't a requirement. There are plenty of survivors who would rather die trying to save one survivor off a hook than leaving them and escaping. I've seen too many times where a three escape turns into a three kill. The difference between underperforming and overperforming by the Devs standards.

If there were a greater emphasis on surviving we would see 5 minute matches with 3 or 4 escapes become more common.

• OshiOshi Member Posts: 110
    edited December 3

Two escape two kills this is -0 or almost depip for killer

• NMCKENMCKE Member, Trusted Posts: 6,086

I feel like games should be balanced around a feast or famine playstyle, which means lots of 0Ks and 4Ks that balance out to a 2K.

Therefore, 50% of games are 4Ks and 50% of games are 0Ks. 😁

Why do I want this?

Mainly player satisfaction.

The killer player can feel like they are a true beast sometimes, but the survivor players can have moments where their teamwork is what pulled them all to a victory.

If you're on the receiving end, you know that there's always room for improvement and will keep trying until you get the win you worked for. 🤗😁

• DudeDeliciousDudeDelicious Member Posts: 4,843

That depends on how many hooks/hits either 4 survivors received, thus also intertwined with how many times each survivor was found and engaged in a chase.

• DWolfAlphaDWolfAlpha Member Posts: 209

I think people need to reevaluate what a victory is in this game. I sometimes have 0k matches that I enjoyed. Especially if I still make out with the most BP in the end. Same goes for matches as survivor where I don't make it out. I think the bp for escaping should be lower, with other scoring events in the survival category being higher. With a 5k bp reward for escaping, of course that makes it feel like a victory, and a loss if you miss out on it.

In most scenarios evenly matched opponents will eventually result in a victory of 1 side or the other..but in this case the implication is that in an ideal scenario of the same type the killer at max could not achieve more than a 2k in that same scenario..therefore..that automatically puts the game in survivor hands at all times..1 little mistake and the killer will flat out be demolished because said killer only has the strength to prevent 2 from escaping in an evenly matches scenario..The games current balance has proven that this is indeed the case and the whole system is flawed severely

• snozersnozer Member Posts: 260

This would only be true if the games own rank system reflected it. a 2k is usually a depip or black pip. even a 3k is a black pip most of the time

The game is literally telling you that you did bad when you meet the expected goal of 2-2

I’m glad we have people like you on these forums.

• PurrPurr Member Posts: 66

personaly victory is alrdy defined by the game

for killer: killing the survivors of which their are 4

for survivor: escape (not powering 5 gens but powering 5 gens AND getting out of the exit gates back to the campfire)

i mean its not that hard to understand in my opinion

• snozersnozer Member Posts: 260

so the win condition for survivor is that you escape, while the win condition for killer is that you participated and had "fun"?

• FibijeanFibijean Member, Trusted Posts: 3,173
    edited December 3

Um... no. I didn't say anything like that. The win condition for killer is killing the majority of the survivors. In both cases, as you yourself implied, the clue is in the name. And in the in-game rules.

Only one issue..most killers are considered underpowered despite apparently every single one breaking that average....so that throws that theory to the wayside

How so?

Are you implying that one side is assured 100% total dominance from the very beginning of every match?

• Dr_doom_j2Dr_doom_j2 Member Posts: 359

This guy gets it. Survivors aren't actually supposed to survive 50% of the time, like most of the classic horror movies that inspire this game, as well as all the horror games that came before, their should be a Max of one survivor...

Well this would work in theory if the game were fun enough on it's own, but gen repair sim does not make for an engaging game... So basically if the framework for a fun horror game from the outset existed, and it was just exciting/fun enough to exist in this game as survivor, then you could potentially make the higher death rate work as surviving wouldn't matter quite as much as the quality of time you spent in the matches...

Think about Call of Duty black ops zombies mode, you know you'll never survive, you'll have to die at some point, but you still attempt the Easter eggs and see how far you can go and have fun doing just that.

• FibijeanFibijean Member, Trusted Posts: 3,173

DBD isn't an endless wave game, though. That kind of thing works if you're just trying to see how long you'll last against an AI, but I doubt there are many people out there who are interested in competing against another player knowing they'll lose every time.