The 3.5.0 update is starting to roll out today! For more info, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/121902/
Please be sure to check here before reporting any new issues: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/122269/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Make the grind easier this rift

Please make the rift grind not so extreme this time. I played almost everyday in tome 1 and still wasn't able to reach tier 70.

Comments

• John_DoeJohn_Doe Member Posts: 223

100% pretty sure every other game that has a battlepass does that

• FibijeanFibijean Member, Trusted Posts: 4,823

I would be very much against that. One of my favourite things about the DBD battlepass is the fact that it encourages sensible financial decision-making by not putting players at a disadvantage who wait to buy the pass.

• CookieBawsCookieBaws Member Posts: 121
    edited January 8

Well, content in Battle Passes or say RIft is cosmetic, so don't see any reason putting Freemium and Premium on the same ground.

Makes no sense really.

• TheOneElricTheOneElric Member Posts: 19
    edited January 9

Be that as it may, rift progress with just playing regular games is just WAY too slow.

WAY.

Just let us earn rift currency faster with regular games, without a pass. That'd help lots with the grind.

• Aven_FallenAven_Fallen Member Posts: 2,982

You are not entiteld to get your 1000 Auric Cells back. Even if you dont complete the Rift, you will most likely have more than the 1000 Auric Cells worth (or 10 Euros, or whichever currency).

Also, it looks like they are already reducing the grind, because there are more challenges in Tome 2 Level 1 than before (at least on PTB).

• Its_Vigo_HereIts_Vigo_Here Member Posts: 32

I agree! However the challenges themselves are a bit too much. When you implement challenges that just cannot be done through regular play encourages behavior that will see you losing more games than you win. For example get 4 kills in the basement in a single match, its due-able but if you wanna get that done before the week is up your gonna have to spam matches with Agitation and iron grasp hoping you get bad enough survivors who will let you do it. Not to mention if survivors think your doing a challenges you got a 9/10 shot of them sabotaging you. I almost had the 4k challenge 3 times however it won't count if someone DC's on shoulder. Even if your right in front of the hook. Challenges that are in "1 game" Should have a optional but more time consuming option like "kill 4 survivors in the basement in 1 game OR Kill 20 survivors on the basement hook" Because at least then you feel like your making progress even if it is honestly a more time consuming option.

I had an idea to reduce the frustration of challenge progression which was basically that people should be able to gain progress in all challenges at once, but at the end of the game they need to choose which challenge to count progress towards. So they can't rush through the Tome in a few matches, but if they happen to complete the basement challenge, for example, without trying for it, there's not that frustrated sense of "dammit, if only I'd had that challenge activated!"

• PlaquerPlaquer Member Posts: 146

I'm very confused, personally I played nearly every day and finished the Rift in about 40ish days, just over half the time given, I'm not sure if I just have no life or if something is off about the xp gains

• PlaquerPlaquer Member Posts: 146

Not really sure, weekends probably 5 or 6, most days 2-4

edited January 9

I played pretty much the same amount of time, sometimes a little more sometimes a little less and when I had ALL challenges done I was left with 6 ranks left to grind with only regular matches.

I'd say just increase the rift currency gain with regular matches. The grind once you're out of challenges is insane. I was honestly fine with the amount of challenges but the regular play rift gain was just... extremely slow. Painful.

• EsheonEsheon Member Posts: 558

I think the problem for a lot of people was the wait time between matches. I played 20 to 30 hours a week, but I was waiting up to 10 minutes in between matches. It's 10 minutes is a long match then at least half of that 20 to 30 hours was wasted time.

Yup, one more reason to up the rewards for playing regular matches.

• PyroGLPyroGL Member Posts: 81
    edited January 9

Just throwing some ideas out to help with the grind:

1) Creating Auris webs big enough that the Rift can be completed only through fragments earned through challenges. This would likely mean you'd finish the Rift before you finish the last Tome page, since you'd be gaining fragments though Xp as well.

2) Give us a "head start" similar to what we got for the first Rift and track XP earned for 2 weeks before the Rift goes live and have the XP count towards fragments, but this time actually tell us it's happening.

3) At the start of a new Rift, give us 1 fragment per level earned in the previous Rift (i.e. if you completed the Rift , you'd earn 70 fragments and therefore start the next Rift at Tier 7, or if you only got to lvl 48 in Rift 1, you'd start the next Rift at Level 4, with 8 fragments).

• yermomyermom Member Posts: 136
    edited January 10

Its pretty balanced if you ask me. The rift is open roughly 70 days?

When they released we all started at tier 6 or 7 which was nice. On top of this, you have a nice xp bonus every day for killer and survivor, which nets you 2.25 rift fragments every day from xp alone. Which leaves you with 8 fragments to earn per day. If you rely on trials alone, that's about 10 trials or 200 minutes a day with an average trial duration of 15 minutes and a 5 minute lobby. If you complete challenges, things get a lot easier. Especially if you prioritize master challenges over regular ones, assuming you can complete them without much issue.

Personally I finished early, and actually wasn't able to take advantage of 50 or so rift fragments from completed challenges. I'm not trying to brag, but expressing that from personal experience it's very doable and I only play moderately. Beyond playing a few times a day, it's also important to use a strategy, which I assume you did? Like, use legion for the challenge where you need to hit survivors 25 times. Or, use object of obsession for stunning the killer with a pallet 4 times in a single trial. Granted, to do this you must have a lot of characters leveled. Without leveled characters I imagine the archives would be really challenging.

The longest challenge for me, unhook someone during EGC, took 38 trials which I did over the course of a few days. I started to collect data after I failed to complete the challenge 4-5 times. There were only 6 times someone was hooked during EGC in those 38 trials. I died trying to unhook three of those times; 2 were on their last hook, and the last one I got it. I actually unhooked two people during that EGC, too. So, the devs making the challenge easier didn't seem to matter in my case. What mattered for that challenge was survivors being overly altruistic.

edited January 10

Those stats are waaaay off from my personal experience.

I was often stuck waiting 15 bloody minutes for a match on BOTH sides ( Which was unusual ) and I only VERY slowly gained SINGLE rift pieces with regular matches ( meaning it took 2 - 4 regular matches to earn ONE rift piece )

Also, 200 minutes a day? That's about 3 1/2 hours a day. Are you really expecting the whole playerbase to be able to put aside 3 1/2 hours a DAY for this game?

I politely disagree with you and stand by my opinion that we need a BIG boost in rift earnings for regular matches.

• Altair899Altair899 Member Posts: 27
    edited January 11

It's not hard to get 70 level of rift

I get 70 level in 30 days of playing :v And I regret that because i don't have nothing to do in remaing 40 days!

If rift have ~70 days just get that 1 level in day :v You have archives and give you some rift fragments. Missions are not hard so it's quick and easy rift fragments

Remeber about bonus XP from first match of survivor/killer (300 xp each side)

If you do that you get easy rift :)

• HuffHuff Member Posts: 97
    edited January 11

After completing all the challenges except for one, I was only at like tier 50. Granted, I slacked for the first two weeks or so maybe. I figured I would have to play more, and I did happen to get lucky on a few of the hard ones (done first try sometimes) but when I completed every challenge and was left with 20 tiers to just grind through, it became kind of daunting for several reasons, some of which I already have seen brought up:

-Queue waiting times (usually would take anywhere from 10 minutes roughly on survivor side, up to maybe 20 ish minutes for a killer queue.) This, in my opinion, is arguably the worst problem because it goes hand in hand with and exacerbates the other problems

-Some tasks were near impossible through normal gameplay, so took several games (making queue times feel worse) such as the 4 survivors sacrificed in the basement, in one game challenge.

-Not every game would last the full duration for xp (that 600 xp cap or whatever) especially on survivor, and some games would only net a couple hundred xp, meaning multiple games would be played for one fragment to be earned through XP.

At some point it just feels like I play the game just to stay in a match for a certain amount of time, and then stop caring about the end result because I just want those fragments. If one fragment from play even just took maybe 100 or 200 less XP required (so maybe 600 for a fragment) then it would only require two games or so to get one fragment, instead of possibly 3 or 4 with all the queue times in between. Also as some people pointed out, not everybody is going to want to set aside several hours *a day* just to progress on something like this.

I don't think a huge boost is necessary, as I know there's plenty of people who love to throw the word "entitled" around like anybody that has any desire for anything is entitled, but I'd personally prefer the challenges to leave me with a little less work to do, so I wouldn't have to grind out 200 fragments, not even at a 1 per 1 game rate, just to complete the pass afterward.

edited January 11

@John_Doe Nope :v But i have some freetime

My friend do 90% of rift in one week. How? Just do all of the missions and some playing.

I know you can have job etc but if you don't have time to play a few games in day imo you shouldn't buy a battle pass.

• John_DoeJohn_Doe Member Posts: 223

I took like 4 days off playing during the rift, over an hour each session and still didn't max out

Yeah, same. And I put in about 3 hours almost every day, I'm retired, I have lots of time.

Yet, I bought the last 4 tiers since I just couldn't stand grinding out the last few tiers with regular matches only, all challenges done.

ALL of us are only providing anecdotal evidence, but I'm mighty sure John's and experience are just as valid as the ones saying it's fine.

Either something with XP earn went wrong so people had different grind speeds.

Either way... my point stands. Make regular matches earn more rift progress.

In my opinion good players in match should get more XP

Yea i know it's in the game but 18 XP from Iridescent emblem ... Really?

Just don't waste time in matches.

• VolfawottVolfawott Member Posts: 2,227

I was able to do it in a similar time I had a set task of two tiers per day not including anything that was gained from challenges which pretty much just helped me get the final 10.

It was from experience just doing pure matches

• Infinity_BoredInfinity_Bored Member Posts: 271

I am done with my rift since 10th december.

There was no "grind"

They do seem to be trying to lessen the grind in the next Rift through Tome challenges, of which there are a lot more this time around.

There are a lot of conflicting opinions floating around about the Rift - as you say, everything is anecdotal and not necessarily indicative of anything beyond that individual's experience. I currently have a community survey running which is designed to collect numerical data on the community experience as a whole, in the hope that we might be able to draw on that data to come to better conclusions about the experience of the general playerbase when it comes to things like the challenges and the grind.