We want your opinion! Complete the latest Players Satisfaction Survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/psatDbD
The 3.5.1 hotfix is rolling out today. For more info, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/125057/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

The First Rift Has Closed - How Did You Find It? (Community Survey)

Comments

• SaitamfedSaitamfed Member Posts: 566

I completed it, but my brother and me play the game so, we were two people. I think it was a bit grindy for casual players. Some average players stuggled it as well but I think most of the players I meet were able to complete or stay between 50-69, I think they should reduce a bit, the grind. I mean, I had enough free time to complete the challenges but the average player doesn't have that free time due to work or stuff.

• TimmylawTimmylaw Member Posts: 44

Well I'm not sure, with recent changes BHVR seems to be focusing on yellow ranks so average is likely casual but I understand what you're saying.

• Shirtless_MyersShirtless_Myers Member Posts: 67

The pass was too grindy, in my opinion. I play the game quite a lot, but I still found it to be too much unless I simply lived off the game like someone who streams it as their job. The price wasn't bad for the rewards given, but there's a bit too many charms that are just palette or texture swaps of the same design I'll never use. At that point I'd rather they just give me more bloodpoints or shards than reusing the same assets on something not many will utilize to begin with.

• GodDamn_AngelaGodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 1,054

Completed the survey.

I didn't find the rift to be that bad and most of the challenges in the archives were easy.

• twistedmonkeytwistedmonkey Member, Trusted Posts: 3,211
    edited January 8

Never completed it as I gave up doing challenges. I didn't find them fun or that they added anything to the gameplay.

I quit playing for a few days after each new tomb was released as the game for me was unplayable due to challenge farmers.

I worked out I would need around 400h+ of grind to complete the rift without challenges with queue times so I never bothered with it.

The charms I don't use. I wear a jacket on my main survivor so it covers them so its kinda pointless. In used them on my killers but they aren't worth it imo. Skins were nice but with the grind to get them without challenges I would never get a full set.

Overall I don't think the rift added anything to the game for myself. It's something that stopped me playing at times due to the frustration of not getting normal matches.

Post edited by twistedmonkey on
  • PulsarPulsar Member Posts: 2,281

I put in about 300 hours of time. I did all but 3 challenges.

• TAGTAG Member Posts: 5,158
    edited January 8

I stopped caring once I got enough vials to get Blight Jake. I will probably do the same once I get far enough to get Mascot Clown minus the weapon.

• PyroGLPyroGL Member Posts: 83

Good survey. I know it is likely too late, but I would have recommended adding some questions regarding the the feelings people had on the grindiness, and how difficult they felt the challenges were. These seem to be what most people took issue with when it came to the Rift/Archives.

• ScytereScytere Member Posts: 62

It was too late for me to get the pass or it wasn't worth it. I'll get the pass next time if the swag is worth getting.

• FibijeanFibijean Member, Trusted Posts: 5,089

Thanks for the feedback, and for completing the survey 😊

I could add such questions, and will if enough people think it's necessary, because I do want this to be a "by the community, for the community" kind of thing that benefits everyone. However, there were a couple of reasons why I didn't add too many opinion-based questions to begin with - firstly, I didn't want the survey to be or to feel too long, which is why I tried to keep it to multiple choice mainly.

Secondly, I was mainly interested in raw data related to how many people finished the Rift, how they did it, how long it took them, etc. Player satisfaction is important, but I feel like that's something you could a good grasp of get just by reading the forums. What I wanted to do was more to create a pool of solid, largely objective numerical data that the community as a whole could access.

• TurretcubeTurretcube Member Posts: 96

Maybe should have added a question asking "Why did you buy tiers with auric cells", might seem redundant but some of the players that did this might have interesting reasons.

• XetoilXetoil Member Posts: 36

Hello mate,

Just finished filling out your survey, pretty interested in the results when they're back.

I progressed up until the trapper mask cosmetic then bought the rift as I really love that mask.

I bought 3 tiers at the end because they rounded me off nicely at the bear trap charm.

I loved the archives and the challenges as it gave me a non-sweaty reason to play DBD on my own, and I'm looking forward to completing the next set.

The rift is definitely a grind to get to the higher tiers, (I calculated with a few friends it takes 90 hours of play time if you do the challenges very efficiently, which is roughly one hour a day if you are willing to commit that). A friend and I both had a similar experience where we committed way too much time to DBD, purely out of excitement, and it ended up feeling like a chore and soured the game a little bit by the end, but that's just a lesson learnt.

Next rift I plan on not being so committed, which should be easy as trapper is my favourite killer and he is out of the way now. The only cosmetic which is a "must have" for me is the new hag one because it looks beautiful and I love the hag, so I'll purchase the rift again if I make it that far for free. I aim to not commit to finish it this time because it really got it the way of my life though.

Cheers.

• Star99erStar99er Member Posts: 754

It was alright, I wasn’t ready motivated grinding through it though because the rift cosmetics didn’t interest me too much.

• TragicSolitudeTragicSolitude Member Posts: 1,956

I wish I had an idea of how many hours it took. I had to guess, and I think I low-balled it, which was probably the wrong way to go given how ungodly bad the grind was. Having to grind XP due to the fact that surprise, not everyone has all 70 days during which to play the game, was miserable and has led to rather severe burnout.

I would feel better about having completed the Rift if the vial charm looked better on hooks. It looks rather pathetic being nearly empty; it should be at least 3/4 full to look aesthetically pleasing.

I didn't want to make too many "free response" type questions, but you're right, that could be interesting to know. I added the question about buying tiers originally mainly because it's an important variable that might affect the data from other questions, such as how many hours it took people to complete the Rift.

• TragicSolitudeTragicSolitude Member Posts: 1,956

Holy hell, that's amazing. I am happy about that.

Yeah, I was just watching Monto playing and immediately noticed it, and I was like, "Wait, I don't think mine looked like that when I played earlier..." A silent buff to the charm on the PTB lol.

• thrawn3054thrawn3054 Member Posts: 1,794

Meh. Didn't care enough to bother trying to complete it.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to do the survey, and for sharing your perspective 😊 I also enjoyed the challenges on the whole, but I definitely get where you're coming from with the grind and the burnout. A lot of people seem to have had a similar experience.

And I agree, I love the new Hag skin! It's one of my favourite things on the new Rift. It's just a recolour, but a damn good one in my opinion.

• illusionillusion Member Posts: 193

Did it achieve its goal of being completable by the average player

I guess it depends on what they consider average. Based on the recent changes they are making, it seems that they consider new players the average.

Regardless, it seemed more geared toward long time players that already had all characters and perks unlocked. IIRC, it also required some DLC characters.

If they want to make it more accessible to more people they should have a way for everyone to complete it. They could still have certain bonus nodes with those types of requirments, for people that have those to get extra points without preventing progress for players that don't have every character and perk unlocked.

I think most people had to guess on that one. I wasn't expecting many people to have an accurate idea of how many hours it took them, but even rough guesses are still valuable information to have. The XP grind did get a bit tiresome, especially towards the end since the challenges didn't quite get most people all the way. I'm hoping that's something they'll be adjusting for the next Rift.

I'm going to be looking at "average" from a mathematical perspective. So if more than 50% of players managed to finish the Rift, ideally without buying tiers, I would call that "completeable by the average player", or at least by the average survey respondent.

There were no DLC characters or perks required for the challenges in the first Tome. There will be for the second Tome, but the levels are intentionally designed such that you can complete everything else in the Tome without needing to do any of the character-based challenges. Having said that, I think that the fact that there are still about two tiers' worth of Rift progress locked behind those challenges is a problem and puts new players and those who can't afford to buy the characters at a disadvantage. So I hope that's something they'll consider revisiting in the future.

• illusionillusion Member Posts: 193

Ah. Some of those DLC ones I saw may have been for dailies. Still, there were specific perks required for some of those challenges, which makes it hard for newer players. Having to spend your blood points to level up characters to unlock perks you don't really want is not a lot of fun.

Yeah. They do make sure that all perks required for challenges make it into the Shrine at some point while the Rift is open, but as you say, people still have to spend the bloodpoints to level up the characters and hope they get lucky with the perk.

I agree as well that it puts new players, who don't necessarily have the shards or bloodpoints to spare, at a bit of a disadvantage, which isn't a very welcoming precedent to set. Personally, I think it would be a better idea to make the relevant characters, equipped with their unique perks, freely available for a limited time while the Rift is open. It's a change I'd like to see in future Archives, but unfortunately I think it's a bit too late to implement it for the next one.

• Umbrae_pkUmbrae_pk Member Posts: 341

the new ice hag? It does look good! Better than Haggage.

That's the one! It looks great 😀 I didn't even realise it was a recolour at first.

edited January 9

Looking at the results so far, a lot of people who didn't manage to complete the Rift seem to have gotten to within the 50-69 range, which I thought was interesting. It's possible that those people completed the Tome, but didn't want to grind out progress through XP alone since, as you say, that part did get a bit tedious.

• AcculllaAccullla Member Posts: 447

@Fibijean Thanks for taking this survey! It's very nice of you to do all these little things for the community and I know it takes time and effort, so just wanted to let you know it's appreciated! Hopefully you'll be able to share some interesting results with everyone.

As for my personal two cents on the rift:

• It took significantly more than 1 hour/day, however, I tend to play this game too much anyway so I finished the rift before the tier 4 tome came out.
    • I bought the premium pass from day one mainly because I really liked what the devs did for us with this rift (I.e. introducing new objectives, offering free skins and all in all adding more variety to the game), so I wanted to endorse it from the start. I'd never bought auric cells before that.
    • I think the pass is the perfect amount of grindy, but am a little concerned that the challenges will start to repeat in future archives, so I hope to see more build/character specific ones and less generic challenges (such as kick x pallets/heal x teammates)
    • I'm looking forward to the next rift

Aww, thank you! ❤️ I'm really looking forward to sharing the results with everyone. They're looking pretty interesting so far.

Opinions seem to be very much divided when it comes to the grind, difficulty of the challenges, and how excited people are about the next one. I agree with you in general, although I do think it would be nice if most people were able to make it through the next Rift just by completing the challenges (through a combination of challenge rewards and XP gained in matches while trying to complete them). I believe that was the intention for this first Rift, but changes made to the last two levels of the Tome made that much less doable.

Your point about challenges repeating is the main reason why I am generally happy with the way they've done the current challenges, even if many of them seem unhealthy, unreasonable or luck-based to a lot of people. I don't want them to restrict themselves to a certain kind of challenge like "complete one generator" too much, because I feel like that would get really boring really fast. Having said that, I do think that the character-specific challenges should remain fairly limited as long as DLC perks and characters are involved, since I think it puts new players and those who can't afford to unlock the characters at an unfair disadvantage.

• gamerscrybecauseofmegamerscrybecauseofme Member Posts: 266

You could have asked us what we actually thought about the time/rift challenges.

I liked it for the most part, other than some of the challenges relied on factors outside of a players control (end game rescues etc)

I think it was a good first time event. I think in future, it would be better if there was more perk challenges and definitely less challenges that are decided by the opposite team.