We want your opinion! Complete the latest Players Satisfaction Survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/psatDbD
The 3.5.1 hotfix is rolling out today. For more info, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/125057/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

The First Rift Has Closed - How Did You Find It? (Community Survey)

Comments

• FibijeanFibijean Member, Trusted Posts: 5,090

Yeah, I think DCs and other players generally sabotaging (or in the case of survivors, often competing for) one's challenges was a widespread issue in the first Tome. Unfortunately, it's not something that's easy to solve without making all the challenges pretty boring, but hopefully the DC penalties that were tested recently might help when they get implemented, especially for the killer challenges.

• DeadeyeDeadeye Member Posts: 641
    edited January 10

I liked the rift and tome. The challenges made me play several different builds, playing with different characters while I was looking who has the needed perks and checking out who would offer the best build to solve the challenge.

Some "webs" were nicely designed, some really poor (like the last one, looking nice shaped with the eye but forcing you into the harder challenges being a blocker sometimes, or starting with Selfcare challenge so everyone on day one runs it without having alternative challenges available).

Some challenges were nicely designed, some really poor (like "drop all the pallets as soon as you are in chase, before someone else can drop them"). You could play them normally and just take one or two more games. But there are always the other guys, that just farm, occassionally making you think "they do, so why not" :)

I think most of the challenges were fair to achieve. I must admit that my average playtime heavily increased during the rift (from 20 hours per week to 35, including idle times) but I also managed to finish every level within 1 week by that, although you had 2 or 3 weeks per level available.

For the requirement rework they did, it was nice to see, that they listen and can respond quickly. Although for level 3 they overcharged a bit. Some almost impossible challenges needed to be adressed like the 3 endgame saves (while you are only able to do 6 unhooks at max, when noone else is quicker than you). But the grinding ones like key depletion that don't really need skill did not need such a hard cut. Although I like the changes they did to level 4 anyway in that regard, as it was over christmas and not everyone having time to reach their average playtime, so reducing the grind was very welcome on that as well.

Regarding the rewards: I now have a cool trapper skin. I don't play trapper that much and now have an alternative to the basic skin, that really shows that DbD is already 3 years old :P Of course along with all the other cosmetics.

What I dislike: the charms, especially on survivors. I don't use them. They really look somehow "attached" to me, not part of the complete model. You know the bug when a medkit or toolbox is carried upside down, floating above the hand? Charms look equally unrealistic to me. Another thing I disliked (although not targeted by this issue) is that some cosmetic sets were split over free pass and rift pass. So you get your one item for free but need the pass to complete the set. That was stupid. It should be one or two complete sets achievable over the free pass and the rest completely in the rift pass. But I think as I saw it on PTB, they changed it for the next tome. At least the elephant clown is completely on free rift.

@Fibijean Regarding the DC stuff to avoid challenges: let's please mention that there were also killers granting the flashlight save once they noticed someone is really hard trying to get that but performing super bad with it. Just as an example. After I saw that I did that as killer as well when I was in a good spot in that match or letting the flashlight survive with another one to finish the challenge. I even helped my brother and suggested to farm it. We made noise on the first floor on Hawkins sitting crouched in the middle of the path staring at the killer when he arrived and clicking twice with the flashlight. He stopped shortly like "wtf", I approached slowly and my brother pointed at me clicking the flashlight again. Killer nodded, we got the flashlight save and afterwards going on with a normal game resulting in a 3k. Just wanted to mention that as well, it is simply the community being full of donkeys and nice guys, the challenge design can bring forth both of them.

• AmaroAmaro Member Posts: 20
    edited January 10

Did the survey.

Liked the overall feel of the rift when I was doing the challenges. They promoted new ways to play for me and changed my game up.

But had some issues with the RIFT, the grind and how DCs were handled. And ofcourse the beautifull tale of an hour a day, which was a complete lie.

• Annoying that DCs don't count towards objectives, if I need 4 basement sacrifices and 1 disconnects, it should just count it.
    • After all challenges I was 56, grinded to 58 and already started to get burned out.
    • Challenges that promote poor playstyles/ annoying builds/ camping etc.
    • Grindy challenges like drop x pallets, just make these requirements higher but make the challenges always active. That way people will get them when they play normally.
    • The overall grind when all challenges were done

Probably not getting the next rift if they don't reduce the grind, or wait untill I have fully completed it. Because my overall feeling right now is rather negative because of the plain lie that the average player with around an hour a day can get it. Played more than an hour a day on average and still missed around 10 levels.

Post edited by Amaro on

I agree with pretty much every point you made regarding the challenges and the design of the Tome overall. I personally like the charms individually, but I also agree with what you said about how they appear ingame and I wish they had come up with a better solution for survivors. Having said that, I myself haven't been able to think of one, nor have I seen one proposed. So maybe there is no perfect solution there.

And that's a very good point you make regarding the DCs. As much as there were people DCing and trying to sabotage one another, there were also people going out of their way to help each other. I personally experienced much more of the latter; Scorp, unfortunately, seems to have come across more of the former kind of players. Possibly, it's something that varies by platform and/or region. For myself, though, I really liked how the challenges brought people together that way, because we all wanted to complete them so we were all in the same boat for once, killers and survivors alike.

The one hour per day thing does seem to have been nowhere near accurate. I can only imagine that the initial calculation didn't take queue/lobby times or early disconnections into account at all.

I have mixed feelings about the disconnection thing. In the case of the basement sacrifices, for example, I think if the last survivor disconnects on hook or while being carried, it should perhaps count, because you were clearly about to complete the challenge. But if someone disconnects at the start of the game, I don't think that should just grant the challenge automatically. It's not the player's fault, of course, but they still didn't earn the challenge. In any case, hopefully the disconnection penalties will be implemented properly soon, and we'll see a significant reduction in that kind of behaviour for future Tomes.

I agree that the grind towards the end especially, after completing all the challenges, was quite wearing, and I hope that at least is reduced for the next Rift.

It's probably a good idea generally to wait and see how far you can get in the Rift before investing money into it, so you know you won't regret your purchase. I think it's unfortunate that so many people bought the pass because they assumed the devs' estimate was correct and that they would only have to play for 70 hours, and now are feeling disappointed and resentful because of it. That figure probably should have been looked at much more carefully, because the effect it's had on a lot of players hasn't made for a great start to the Archives in many ways.

• DeadeyeDeadeye Member Posts: 641

It should work with an hour pure trial time, and unfortunately it needs perfect games of exactly 10 minutes (longer games don't give you additional XP, capped at 600, and less would need another game to fill the missing XP). But regarding queue times, trial duration and everything else, this will more likely be at least 2 hours a day. So just out of curiosity, you might try to check on the next tome if 6 games a day would be what actually is the correct amount. Do you roughly know how many games a day you had?

From my side, I played maybe 4-5 hours a day on average including queue times and also some idle times (when I just forgot to close the game while away for some time) and finished all levels within 1 week each and also finishing the rift 5 weeks before end, so also without the challenges of level 4 needed. I calculated some times and found out, that the 2 hours a day (or 6 games) should actually match to achieve it right on time.

I think on average throughout the entire rift that I had 4-5 matches a day, depending on queue times.

It could have been more because I had around 1 day per level to finish the rift, but the grind just burned me out and I like the game but didn't want to get burned out and put it down since a couple of friends play it as well

That seems like a reasonable estimate. From the responses so far, around 70% of the players who completed the Rift reported between 100 and 220 hours of playtime. So 2 hours a day seems to be more or less accurate as a rough average.

I spent some time at the start of the Rift, after I had finished the first level of challenges, trying to grind out one tier every day. Typically, it would take me about 12-15 games to do so, or around 2-3 hours of playtime. The challenges helped a lot with progress, so I didn't have to do that for 70 days straight, but ultimately unless you're someone who is outrageously passionate about the game and/or plays it for a living, I don't think that level of dedication is very sustainable over an extended period of time. So it doesn't surprise me that a lot of people who play more casually, or who like to spend their time on other games as well, got pretty burned out by the end.

• JackaloMossJackaloMoss Member Posts: 16

Since the title of this is "The First Rift Has Closed - How Did You Find It?", I think a good question that's missing would just be simply.. How did you find it? Since a lot of the reasons people didn't like the rift are missing completely from this survey. The main reason for example that I completely hated the rift was it ruined a huge number of games, even ones were I wasn't trying to do anything for the rift, because other players would be playing stupidly trying to do a challenge, or when I was playing survivor just having to waste my time doing all the gens solo bored out of my mind while the rest of the team is just grinding with the killer.

• ProfoundEndingProfoundEnding Member Posts: 975

Most likely yes but I'll only buy up until tier 34. Then grind the rest, and if I'm not at the end by the time it closes I'll just purchase the rest.

Fair enough. I went through several titles trying to think of something interesting, but it was meant to be a more general "what was your experience/what did you do with the Rift", as opposed to "how did you feel about the Rift". There are a couple of places to share that sort of thing as well, but it wasn't meant to be the main focus. The goal of the survey, as I outlined in the OP, was not so much to measure player satisfaction - which I feel is more a job for the Player Satisfaction Surveys the devs put out - but rather to gather numerical data about whether people completed the Rift, how they did so, how long it took them, etc.

I didn't mean it at the begin either. It was easy to get multiple levels a day just by completing challenges, something I really didn't struggle with at all. The only one that took me some real time was the end game collapse unhook.

But once I had all my challenges done, it quickly became clear that to grind the levels you need to be more than a casual player. But this is pretty much my experience with every battle pass I've ever bought except Rocket League's. That's the only one I know that you can just play a couple hours a week and still unlock the entire pass.

edited January 13

Yeah, that was generally my experience as well. I did play a fair bit in between Tome levels, after finishing all the available challenges, but I never felt any pressure to progress at that stage because I knew I would get a huge progress boost with each Tome level that was released. After finishing the entire Tome, though, the grind started to feel tedious towards the end. Luckily, the issue of the challenges not quite carrying most players through to the end of the Tome should be a fairly easy fix, and something I'm hoping they will therefore adjust for the next Rift.

• NikkiwhatNikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,118

I got a chunk of it completed...but with how grindy it ended up being and some of the challenges were badly designed, along with the sabotaging nature that matches & players ended up taking, it burned me out of the game and I just ended up not playing DBD at all :/.

Love the concept and design of it...but the execution just ruined my experience amd felt way too much like a job to grind levels and attempt challenges that were easily ruined by other players (on both sides) once they realized what you were going after. Also had the displeasure of players getting their Challenge done and then AFK or suicide on Hook and leave....

• zaquintarzaquintar Member Posts: 34

I thought it was challenging and at times fun. I don't play survivor often so I never got the skills to complete the flashlight ones. I didn't like that several challenges relied on luck or dc not happening, and it made for a repetitive game when using survivors that most killers were trappers. I think the worst was having to select a challenge. Sometimes you would complete several in a single run but only the active one counted. They should be designed so you can complete several on the same match if you meet the conditions rather than having to do several variations of the same thing multiple times (have survivors step on 3 traps, 4 traps, 5 traps... What's up with that?). That would help with the luck based ones since you could adapt based on what was going on at the match

• JohnyBloodJohnyBlood Member Posts: 39

Yes!!! I love Rocket League Pass. Not only you can complete it by simply playing but also the rewards are pretty nice (sooo nice sometimes) + you get all your "money" back + there are hundreds of levels after you reach level 70 with some color variations and special edition stuff. That's why I will always buy it and I am happy that I can give some money to the devs. They take such a good care of their playerbase so I just want to support them.

The Rift pass is very underwhelming in comparision. Its super grindy, challenges are not so well thought through and rewards are pretty much basic. And I dont even like charms very much. And it is also more expensive than Rocket League pass. So I just wont buy another Rift pass again soon... the grind was so frustrating towards the end!

Aren't both the Rocket league pass and the Rift the same price?

If I recall correctly I paid €10 for both.

Only difference is, in Rocket League I've had 5 passes so far and in DBD I need to spend extra to get another pass because of the grind.

I'm sorry your experience with the Rift wasn't great 🙁 Unfortunately some people are just selfish or mean-spirited and will go out of their way to ruin the experience for others, and there's not a whole lot to be done about it because you get bad eggs in every community.

Having said that, I do agree that there were certain challenges which weren't well-designed, and in some cases encouraged that kind of behaviour (like the Spine Chill one, for example). Hopefully the devs will take the feedback from the community on the first Tome and use it to make adjustments to the next one.

• VSLlVSLl Member Posts: 162

By the way, tasks 2 tome of all levels have long been known. And they are much simpler than in tome 1.

I saw level 1 on the PTB, but I haven't gone looking for the others. It's always possible that they will change prior to release, of course, but if everyone is happy with them as they are that's admittedly unlikely.

• DwightOPDwightOP Member Posts: 697

When will you close the survey and present the results?

Interesting! I actually really like the look of all those challenges, and there also seem to be a lot more of them. Seems like they've taken a lot of feedback on board from the first Tome. The only misgiving I have about it is that there are a lot of DLC character or perk-based challenges, which leaves players who don't own and/or can't get the DLC at a pretty huge disadvantage, progress-wise.

The survey is due to close in abut a day and a half. After that, I'll need to go through all the data and organise it, then extract actual meaning from it in the form of figures and percentages and such, and then I'll need to figure out how to present that in as clear and informative a way as possible. All that will probably take me another few days to a week, but I can post some rough preliminary data and/or progress updates here in the meantime if that's something people would be interested in.

• VSLlVSLl Member Posts: 162

We are all not stupid, and we perfectly understand why a tome with 4 characters was introduced, and not with 2. But yeah, the challenges in this tome seem to me much better than in the first.

edited January 14

We do? I was under the impression that there were four characters in this Tome so that they could fit in more lore, appeal to a wider range of players and have the challenges be less monotonous. As for three of them being DLC characters, though, and from different DLCs at that, there may have been monetary motivations there (which seems to be what you're implying).

At the very least, the fact that there are two killers in this Tome, not just one, might make the issue of always going up against the same one(s) a bit easier to bear. Although personally, I'd rather go against two Trappers than a Doctor and a Spirit.

Although the idea of being able to complete multiple challenges in a single trial is a popular one, I think the reason that's not a feature is actually, counter-intuitively, to lessen the perceived grind. The Archives are designed such that players should complete the Rift through a combination of challenges and XP earned. The more challenges you can do at once, the quicker you get through them all, the less XP you earn while doing so, and so the more "ordinary" games you have to grind through to make up the difference in XP. By forcing players to work through the challenges more slowly, progress through the Rift is more steady and players therefore feel like they are making consistent progress instead of making huge bursts of progress and then having to slug through hours of minimal progression through XP alone. In other words, it's a psychological thing to keep players motivated towards completing the Rift. At least, I think that's the theory.

I personally think, as a compromise, it would be good if players could gain progress in all available challenges (that is, ones they have unlocked on the web) at once, but have to choose a single challenge in which to invest that progress at the end of the trial. All progress made in that trial on other challenges would be lost. This would, I think, lessen the frustration for players who didn't quite meet the requirements for a master challenge they were attempting in a match, or who met the requirements for a challenge other than the one they had selected. It allows them to feel like they're still gaining progress, without drastically reducing the time it takes to work through the Tome overall.

• NikkiwhatNikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,118

Appreciate the response and kind words! I def understand that griefers and such behaviour is something that can never be fully handled, was jus an extra push (for me personally) on top of the grind + certain challenges that all added to me not having as much fun as I wished.

Hoping some good changes/alterations are considered for this game's future. I'm also wanting to change how I approach and view the future Tome/Rift to get more out of it and play much more/longer

That's fair enough, and sounds like a pretty reasonable approach 😊 So far, the challenges for the next Tome are looking pretty promising, both in terms of design and numbers, so hopefully we'll see some improvements on the second run 🤞