Home Technical Issues
The September 2020 Developer Update is now available.
https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/194208

Skill Checks seem to have low frame rate?

txcrnrtxcrnr Member Posts: 43

I have been struggling with this for a while. The skill check jumps as it moves, the intervals are even but it is only actually appearing for maybe 7 or 8 frames on a longer skill check. It seems to be running more around 30 FPS based on my timing, but the actual game is running at 60 FPS. It makes them stupidly harder to hit than they should be. Unlocking Vsync is not an option because that causes my game to have weird motion blur.

Comments

• KhaineGBKhaineGB Member, Mod Posts: 3,595

By any chance, do you have a gaming mouse with it's own software to configure options?

• ceeckoceecko Member Posts: 30

I have the same problem and I do have a mouse software installed from Razer - Razer Synapse.

You can also see my other bug report with more details at https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/118138/skill-check-lag-on-pc

Check the polling rate your mouse is set to. Another user with a corsair mouse had it set to 1000hz in the software and that was causing lots of strange lag issues.

Changing it to 500hz fixed it.

• txcrnrtxcrnr Member Posts: 43

I have a Corsair mouse as well, I guess I will look into this as well.

I have Razer DeathAdder Elite and it's set to 500Hz polling rate.

Might be worth messing with that a bit and see if lowering/increasing helps at all.

I tried, but with no change :(

Hmmm... FPS ok other than that? I know you can use the steam overlay to check it.

Might also be worth running task manager in the background to check CPU/GPU usage while gaming and keep an eye out on usage when the lag happens.

CPU is around 40%, stable. No spikes or anything like that.

I have Ryzen 2700X.

That's odd. I've got the same CPU and no issues on that end.

How about network usage? Is that spiking at all?

GPU, network and everything else is constant.

I don't experience any lags, fps drops or anything like that.

This has been present for a long time. I thought it was a known issue and didn't report it.

I have a fiber connection usually with 45ms ping to the server in the lobby.

I'm running out of ideas, i'm afraid :( I'll keep thinking on it and see if I can come up with any other potential solutions.

let me know if I can provide you any debugging logs that may help

I tried disabling vsync, got 120fps but still have the same issue with skill check lags.

Is there any debugging information which could help you? Would it help to record a video?

Ok, internet was "down" and by that I mean I went back to tje 90's and had dial-up... that was fun, do not recommend.

I think, at this point, i'd submit your log file to http://support.deadbydaylight.com/ with your PC specs and feel free to link them this thread as well, so they can see everything we've tried.

Thanks for the link. Didn't know it existed.

Here's a short clip for reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAlkpuNSOBk

• TotallyNotAlphariusTotallyNotAlpharius Member Posts: 12

I have the same problem.

I have noticed that skill checks moved by the Doctor (due to madness level) are running as smooth as they should be, though standart skillchecks are having lower framerate.

That's a great finding, thanks for sharing!

When I occasionally watch twitch/dbd it appears to me the Chinese players usually have no lag for skill checks, whatsoever. The indicator is completely smooth.

When I don't have the lag it's so easy to hit a great skill check.

• forthelulzforthelulz Member Posts: 193

While it is happening you should use something to monitor things like your FPS and GPU/CPU usage & temp etc to help narrow it down

None of the metrics come close to its limits.

CPU and GPU are underutilized. FPS is steady at 60fps (without vsync 115-120fps), temperatures are fine.

• forthelulzforthelulz Member Posts: 193

Hmm.. Is your FPS equal to or half of your refresh rate? (60FPS/60hz) or (60FPS/120hz)

Are you using Vsync? Smoothframes? G'Sync? Low latency mode?

60fps/60hz

vsync is enabled (as per default). No other extra tool. Standard Windows 10 with latest drivers.

Stupid question time.

Any windows scaling options being used? Corsair mice?

No, all is standard.

Think of a clean Windows 10 installation updated to the latest v1909. Install latest drivers for everything, including mouse. Browser, Steam, DBD. Pretty standard setup.

Mouse is Razer DeathAdder

Yeah, i'm completely stumped. Stuttering has either been bad drivers (which you tried), bad download of the game (which you tried), potentially below minimum spec (which I doubt), gaming mouse software related (which I doubt but you could try removing the razer software), windows scaling related (which it isn't) or very occasionally because the game is installed on an SSD instead of a HDD (and sometimes the other way around fixes it...)

Just for reference. Here's a short clip from the game with almost no skill check lag. The indicator moves almost completely smoothly.

It's been recorded on the same PC, just different day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrt3bGzvEH4

I think, at this point, you need to start sacrificing chickens or something before you boot the game... :D

• wojtechwojtech Member Posts: 133

You can try setting bSmoothFrameRate=True in

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\DeadByDaylight\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings.ini