Home Discussions General Discussions
The September 2020 Developer Update is now available.
https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/194208

How do you solo survivors do it?

No wonder I see so many survive with friends groups. Trying to play solo survivor is a gamble, and it’s usually not in my favour. I get paired with so many teams who do next to nothing, or are way too cautious of the killer. Survivors with 5 gens left who are swarming for heals and saves and being over altruistic while I try and get gens done myself. It doesn’t matter what perks I take or how I play, what happens is dictated by the killer and my teammates. Where are these survivors when I play killer? Please, hand them over

I think I’ll just stick to playing mostly killer and only survivor on the odd occasion. Not even Kindred can save me. I get far more angry with survivor than I do killer.

Comments

• 53nation53nation Member Posts: 447

I'll try to do 2 gens by myself. Evaluate from there. Kindred helps. I'm also a hatch fan. But instead of finding it stealthily, I'm usually running for my life and barely escape.

• SirenSiren Member Posts: 61

I usually only play solo survivor. I find Kindred to be super useful for me, it lets me know if I need to run across the map to get someone off the hook or not, and if I should even bother if the killer is camping. If you have a camping killer and you're solo, you might as well give up unless someone is making a move to distract the killer.

Also stealth, I do agree, stealth is much easier for me than playing boldly.

But basically, I consider matches where I don't depip to be a win in my books.

• Apple2oApple2o Member Posts: 624

Keys, keys, and more keys. Along with a selfish stealth build.

I have run the meta alot but honestly, a lot of teams are not worth saving, and that's mainly what the meta is good for. If someone goes into the basement vs like a trapper? Cya buddy, i'm out.

My last survivor game I had a nea not healing me and trying to let me die to a doctor so she could get hatch, but I had calm spirit so she got caught first. It felt really good leaving her behind.

• Apple2oApple2o Member Posts: 624

Escaping is the only win, no matter which way you slice it. But you need to know when it's time to let your team die as opposed to suiciding in an attempt to save them. Good rule of thumb, if there are multiple peopled hooked, or chain slugging going on at 4-5 gens, it's time to cut the cord.

• AcculllaAccullla Member Posts: 925

I only play solo survivor. The way I keep my sanity is I have to assume my teammates are potatoes and play based on that belief - even if they turn out not to be. I'll do my best to get chased first. That way I can make sure my teammates don't burn through all of the pallets right off the bat and I give them enough time to finish 1 or 2 gens and/or get rid of ruin. Afterwards I just play normally. New kindred is a godesnd.

With that said, my survivor games are pretty enjoyable.

• MegMain98MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,569

I don’t have rough rounds as solo survivor. I play to have fun and not sweat my ass off. What is the worst that’ll happen? I die? Mori? Mean messages? I haven’t seen that 1000 times before.

I meme around quite a bit as well. It’s not all serious. I escape just as much in solo as I do SWF.

• ElkElk Member Posts: 2,253

There have been very painful times playing solo. People not doing gens, people leaving you on hook until death state, people leaving you behind, occasionally working with killer(very rare), no healing you and so many more. However, i play for fun. Like many others say. Meme. Play for fun.

• ppo8820ppo8820 Member Posts: 763

Well I do better solo. My swf group doesn’t do anything. It’s always me so solo I tend to have much better games.

• twistedmonkeytwistedmonkey Member, Trusted Posts: 3,946

Do what the others arent its why I like running bond now and again if I take a break for a few days. You do get a feel for it eventually.

For example if you see quick saves or lots of hits happening generally I feel gens probably aren't getting worked on so I do them only and don't save unless I really need too.

• big_fellasbig_fellas Member Posts: 537

In solo I have fun if I'm outplaying the Killer in a chase. A lot of my teammates are potatoes so I try not stress about escaping or if gens get done. As long as I'm having fun being chased that's all that matters to me.

• thrawn3054thrawn3054 Member Posts: 3,295

Had a match a little but ago where a Billy was camping pretty hard. The other three just kept trading places on the hook. That was just sad to watch.

A game or two later I had a Billy face camp me. Literally face camp. I couldn't stop laughing it was so ridiculous.

• CamophloCamophlo Member Posts: 94

I, a solo survivor, have survied due to two things. Stealth, and playing Claudette who's clothes are naturally made to blend into the maps than others. Plus she's small. As much as I hate having to play Claudette with a stealth build it's better than being farmed, facecamped, camped, tunneled, etc as David King without a shirt. Can't kill what you won't find

• RaccoonRaccoon Member Posts: 3,501

Detective's Hunch/Inner Strength/Head-On/Quick and Quiet

• 28_stabs28_stabs Member Posts: 1,395
    edited January 14

Solo survivor mode is the hardest game mode in DBD, but you dont have to care about your team surviving matches, you are strangers, so there are few pros.

• whyareyoutunnelingmewhyareyoutunnelingme Member Posts: 30

I have over 1000 hours solo survivor... I have been sacrificed 495 times and made it out alive 762 times. Unfortunately it does take perk space to utilize what SWF gets free... I run Empathy for killer location. Kindred is a Godsend now, but tbh I have been with a 3 man team who let me sit through all the hook phases and makes no effort to help. Then I have Some type of stealth perk like urban or fixated and of course because I cant always find a teammate self care is a must. Pretty much 4 perk slots wasted that SWF get through comm.

• bubbasbasementchestbubbasbasementchest Member Posts: 62

I play only solo and can confirm that stealth is one of the best ways to survive at high ranks. Using your time efficiently is a must too, and perks such as Spine Chill and Self-Care (which everybody loves to hate for some reason) are important because you won’t always know where the killer is and where your teammates are. I main Claudette and wear darker clothes (essentially a Blendette), yet I am very helpful and smart with my decision making (for the most part). I run We’ll Make It so I can heal faster and we can get back on the gens faster.

• PigMainClaudettePigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,501

Stealth, Self Care and utter contempt for every other player in the game.

Or you make a smurf account to meme around in and actually have fun in lower ranks competing with only Lv. 1 Dead Hard. Like, seriously. Playing at rank 16 with ONLY Dead Hard (and We're Gonna Live Forever, but zero unhooks or protection hits.) while everyone else has 3-4 Level 2 perks is actually kinda fun.

• edgarpoopedgarpoop Member Posts: 2,208

I'm a gen jockey that can also run the killer for a while, but I don't play aggressively. Solo survivor squads often need a gen jockey because a shocking number of solo queue players won't touch gens, no matter the rank. You go in knowing that you might have two teammates that do a crouch/save/heal/get downed in 10 seconds cycle repeatedly until they're both dead. I usually try to rock out gens until the killer aggros on me, and I can usually get at least a minute out of a chase against a basic M1 killer. But it's the solo queue life, so there will be times like tonight where I ran a Pig for 2 minutes and a single gen popped.

• redsopine01redsopine01 Member Posts: 1,269

Price had that some guy tried to get me 2 hooked but payback a [email protected]#$ since they immediately got hooked after unhooking me (after letting me stage 2 with the killer there) I heal up unhook follow and point him out killer was chill about it hooked him then left heck end game they slugged a jake and dragged him to the gate and let him shake off and chased everyone out like the guy had birds on him when he unhooked me the killer knew he was in there and was like [email protected]#$ it il 2 hook you all and take the pip

• IhatelifeIhatelife Member Posts: 4,557

I'm just amaz.... liking playing solo 🥰🥰🥰

• saminationsamination Member Posts: 307

That is how the game was originally intended. I prefer it as it's kind of cool to work with (or not) a group of strangers. It is difficult at first but gets better.

• MringasaMringasa Member Posts: 652

I always solo queue. I don't focus on escaping, I simply focus on enjoying the game. Help my team out, do some gens, run around a bit. Don't tryhard and sweat at it looking for the escape. Just play for the fun.

You rank up so fast it's not even worth worrying about emblems. I've had a number of matches where the Killer noticed I wasn't part of the SWF that was trying to bully him/her, and they took pity on me and eased up or gave me the hatch at the end. If you don't play toxic, and you help your team as much as you can, consider it a win.

I run helper builds with stuff like We'll Make It, Aftercare, Empathy or similar. Kindred is almost a must too. It's new buffed version gives you SWF-like information whenever someone is on a hook. Helps you know when to break off a gen, and when to keep on plugging away at it. Really liking Aftercare, and that one Nancy Perk for gens, cause I've had numerous occasions where someone came over to me to help me out on one. Same with healing, Aftercare can help you, and whoever you have aura'd, an enormous amount.

I run WGLF, but not the greedy style where they hook farm you. BP are more important to me than surviving, so it helps me there and keeps me focused on helping the team since I need those protection hits and safe unhooks to proc it.

• ReviloDBDReviloDBD Member Posts: 199

Honestly, I usually pay Solo Q and I do tend to die a lot. I rarely escape, at least much less frequently than when I play with SWF, but I don't play SWF often.

I guess it depends because even with SWF you can have pretty bad games haha, I remember once losing like 6 in a row.

But back to the point, for Solo Q I run: Kindred, Iron Will, Spine Chill, and Decisive Strike.

I've noticed this build works fairly well for me, Spine Chill alerts me if the Killer is heading in my direction which is always helpful, Kindred gives me all the information I need about Hooks and helps my teammates save me, Iron Will helps with some mind games and escapes, or hide if a Killer is looking for me, and I keep DS on just in case I do get tunneled by a Killer or camped, so far it's saved me many times in those situations.

Idk if it's the "Perfect" Solo Q build, I've seen a streamer use a similar one on YouTube before except switched out DS for Sprint Burst, maybe that's even better, Idk because I haven't tried it.. but as long as the Killer isn't 100% focused on me (which some are) or my teammates don't DC / are so bad that they don't complete any gens even if I'm looping well and found Ruin for them (which also does happen lol) then I can at least Pip or sometimes even double Pip and the games don't feel horrible as a Solo Q Survivor.

All that being said, I'm not a very good Survivor in general, and typically stay in Green Ranks, only climbing to Purple Ranks every so often.

• NegiNegi Member Posts: 132

I focus on performing well. I don't run adrenaline because I can't depend on randoms, I generally run kindred so I know whether I should be genning or saving and vice versa so I actually get saved (though I sometimes still get teammates who will hover around the hook despite the proxy/hard camp).