We want your opinion! Complete the latest Players Satisfaction Survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/psatDbD
The 3.5.1 hotfix is rolling out today. For more info, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/125057/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

How do you solo survivors do it?

Comments

• Walker_of_the_fog_96Walker_of_the_fog_96 Member Posts: 735

do not give up!

I know it can be horrible to play only survivor, just jump to the next game, you will get used to your teammates making mistakes, campers, etc.

I've spent 3 years playing survivor without swf, and what keeps me that way is the emotion / fear of being chased by the killer, leveling up all my killers to p3 with the help of survivor matches, and now the archives are an example more for what I will stay on dbd!

• _VTK__VTK_ Member Posts: 54

Solo is tough. Kindred and stealth help a bit. It seems most solo survivors gave up trying to escape and hook-swarm instead to get BPs at least.

• BigTimeGamerBigTimeGamer Member Posts: 139

low expectations so I can’t be disappointed

• BadMrFrostyBadMrFrosty Member Posts: 538

How do we do it? A combination of two things - stupidity and iron will (the irl version).

• BlindMoleBlindMole Member Posts: 74

How? Through pain and suffering my friend... Pain and suffering

• LmronbyLmronby Member Posts: 150

I play nearly exclusively solo; and I usually run Supportive or Anti-Annoying Killer builds (like slugging, so I Bring tenacity, which is underrated)

But support; We'll make it is proving to be Super effective; much more than I remember

• arslaNarslaN Member Posts: 1,416

I'm done playing solo for a while. I tried playing after the rank reset and I got the worst teammates I have ever seen in a long time. No wonder swf is common at high ranks.

• altruisticaltruistic Member Posts: 1,045

Uninstalled the game, time for another 9 month break.

• CakeDutyCakeDuty Member Posts: 323

I'm a good looper, so I usually try to get the attention on myself and then loop the killer while the randoms do gens. I use a build that I think is the optimal solo build, if you're a good looper. My build is DH, DS, Kindred and Bond. Each has a good purpose.

DH: Chase extender

DS: When the randoms farm you/killer tunnels you

Kindred: So the randoms know when to go for a save and who's going/so I can see if someone is going for a save

Bond: So I don't lead a killer to them while getting chased or to find someone that can heal you/needs to be healed.

Though everyone has a different playstyle. I tried stealth, but teammates can rarely last more than 10 seconds when getting chased, so it mostly turned into a hatch game. I find it easier to loop the killer and hope the randos can do gens.

• KurrmiuKurrmiu Member Posts: 14

I've only ever played solo. To be honest, I didn't know escaping was so common until I started playing killer more and versing the red rank SWF's that escape most games.

My expectations have been low, so getting enough stuff done for pipping/double pipping is a win for me. I don't care much whether I die or make it out.

For me, both as survivor and killer, the best games are where the killer gets a 4k after a long game with many hooks, chases, heals, 4 to 5 gens done. Everyone gets tons of BP and pips = everyone wins. This has mostly been possible thanks to hex ruin and after the change goes live, most games will be over within minutes.

• AChaoticKillerAChaoticKiller Member Posts: 734

Kindred, kindred, and kindred. Also dont forget about kindred as its the only way to play solo.

• DWolfAlphaDWolfAlpha Member Posts: 325

I just try to do as many things as I can. Focusing on gens and escape will get you, at most, 13k bp.

• RemoveLegionRemoveLegion Member Posts: 74

This has pretty much already been answered by someone above but yeah play and have fun. Become the memes. Piping solo is tough so try and kick back abit. Who knows maybe that can help you pip. Personally I've been running object of obsession. It's glorious and surprisingly fun.

• justaSpirit_phasejustaSpirit_phase Member Posts: 141

Pfff what’s swf? Never heard of her.

• LaakeriLaakeri Member Posts: 694

For me the main reason to play survivor is getting chased as after 3 years escaping / pipping or bp doesnt mean much.

• aGoodOldRubaGoodOldRub Member Posts: 121

Wait till they all die then ez hatch escapes map or left for dead or whatever that perk is called, I always pip as solo even if I die anyway so that means I did good or best possible scenario

• Wubsyy__Wubsyy__ Member Posts: 78

Alert - See the killer when they break stuff, really good for killer awareness.

Kindred - see everything when you / someone else gets hooked. Necessity!

Prove Thyself - Increases gen speed when doing it with another person (also increases your bps)

Lithe - Controllable version of Sprint burst, either escape a Chase or buy time super easy.

• TunnelVisionTunnelVision Member Posts: 460

Playing solo keeps you on your toes and for me is much more enjoyable as every game is a different outcome. That said ;i don't mind losing so it's no real loss to me.

• cap9130cap9130 Member Posts: 11

Its frustrating as hell sometimes, but there are some games where you get paired with an amazing team that really makes up for it.

• Apple2oApple2o Member Posts: 624

I always do:

Iron will - God tier perk and one of the only things that will let you actually lose a killer in a chase. Helps a ton with hiding if the killer is tunneling you off hook or your team won't heal you

Calm Spirit - I hate having my location given out for free. Very good killers will notice crows being disturbed as well.

Fixated - Probably the best stealth perk in the game next to spine chill, walking around a tree 20% faster can usually be the difference between staying hidden or being caught. I don't feel the need to run spine chill unless I want to be lazy throughout the game.

Sprint burst - Pairs well with fixated and is a very powerful way to start a chase if you do get found.

• AlmoAlmo Member, Dev Posts: 494

Big help for my solo Survivor game has been the Kindred update. I'm now in a position to evaluate when I should go for the save and when I should stick to my objective.

If you care about pipping (I do), then this is invaluable for getting those Benevolent points.

• ChiTenshiChiTenshi Member Posts: 407

My solo builds are very stealth-oriented with self-help perks thrown on.

My aim is to not be found and do as much progress on the gens, if I'm being chased it's purely based on self-survival. I am less inclined to save others unless I know it's safe or a dire necessity, and I'm less likely to help a SWF group when they plan a rescue or distraction as I do not have the power to coordinate with the them effectively.

• ClickyClickyClickyClicky Member Posts: 569

It's so bad right now since the new matchmaking because a lot of people at red ranks aren't red ranks quality. Therefore killer gets to camp/tunnel people out because they can't work through Ruin. Thank god that perk is going.

Anyway I just take WGLF and try to get 4 stacks. You aren't winning as solo survivor these days so just try to get your stacks and leave happy.

• lasombra1979lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,133

I play solo survivor more than I play SWF (which I only play with my wife, which is basically the same as running solo the way she sandbags me). Honestly my approach to solo is have fun, quickly figure out who is a potato and who isnt (you will figure this out quick). Figure out who the killer is as quick as possible to quickly adjust game strategy. Remember other survivors are tools for your escape, not teammates. Use them as needed.

• SunderMunSunderMun Member Posts: 980
    edited January 14

Rip, for some reason I typed a comment on another thread and it ended up here. If a mod sees this, please delete!

(Why isn't it an option to put your own comment up for deletion in the first place?)

Post edited by SunderMun on
  • MurcielagoMurcielago Member Posts: 163

What I do is run a completely different build then with my 2swf I use kindred for people who aren't potatoes along with prove thyself and better together to try and get through gens much faster since you don't have comms try using perks that give you information and gives information

New Kindred is great, I run it. But to be honest just new Kindred isn't able to change the whole situation around solo. Yes, solo will never be like SWF, but I think solo players could use some more information, on the HUD for example.

• Mister_HoldoutMister_Holdout Member Posts: 1,880

As someone else pointed out, focus on pipping instead of escaping.

edited January 14

Why?

There are players who don't care about piping at all, like me. A pip is just a very arbitrary metric, made out by DEVs for rank progression, nothing more. If they gave you a pip for tbagging 200 times, would you be satisfied?

I like escaping. Can you imagine if you said killers to focus on pipping instead of killing? Can you imagine what outcry it would start? Why should solo survivors be second class players and "focus on piping instead"? We are the majority in the game. It makes no sense. Instead, the balance should be fixed for solo, so those who want to focus on piping, can focus on piping, and those who like escaping can focus on escaping and have more realistic chances for it, unlike now.