The 3.5.0 update is starting to roll out today! For more info, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/121902/
Please be sure to check here before reporting any new issues: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/122269/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

A Downvote Button

shootaman777shootaman777 Member Posts: 123
edited January 14 in Forum Feedback

It would certainly be nice to have. Or anything else that can help forum users with quality assurance of posts, that do not necessarily violate forum rules.

Comments

• FibijeanFibijean Member, Trusted Posts: 4,824

This used to be a thing, back when the forums first began. It was removed because it basically served no purpose except to spread negativity. If someone wants to disagree with a post, they can take the time to comment and explain why, but having a button for it makes it too easy to abuse by just downvoting everything that is posted by a user you don't like, for example. The idea is to encourage thoughtful discussion, and not to make it easy to visibly and impulsively dismiss other people's ideas or opinions without even considering them first.

• AAAAAAAAAA Member Posts: 433

I would downvote this post for saying everything I wanted to say but doing it better. Although I didn't know there used to be a downvote. Dang it. Have an upvote.

• shootaman777shootaman777 Member Posts: 123

Wouldn't the same people who would use a button to dismiss someone's argument also be the same people who wouldn't have anything constructive to bring to a discussion in the first place? Wouldn't it save people a lot of time that they would otherwise spend refuting unreasonable people?

• ShrekIsHotShrekIsHot Member Posts: 3,008

I can't remember who it was but someone was super proud of being the most downvoted of anyone, ever.

• EnviouSLAYEnviouSLAY Member Posts: 224
    edited January 14

I like the downvote feature; it lets people who may not be able to articulate their opinions or want confrontation (because let's be real gamers will jump you for disagreeing about anything, not just in this community) be able to chip in with an agree or disagree

• FibijeanFibijean Member, Trusted Posts: 4,824
    edited January 15

You don't have to try to refute unreasonable people. If they're clearly unreasonable, just ignore them. Although there can actually be some value in engaging with those arguments, even if they're unreasonable and heavily flawed, to strengthen your own case for the benefit of bystanders. And yes, while some people would downvote where they might otherwise comment something non-constructive insulting the post or the person making it, the difference is the mods can't do anything about downvotes. And I don't think those people would be the only ones that would use it - as I said, it's quite open to abuse and ultimately all it really does is make it easy for people to spread negativity and make others feel bad.

• feechimafeechima Member Posts: 334

This is an issue in most game forums I have been in, downvotes or lol buttons are used to dismiss, or belittle (in the case of lol) the opinions of others and therefore the developers had to take it away. Heck, it happened on Sims 4 forums of all games, but curiously only on the English forums. A few months back when you could downvote, I was downvoted for opinions that had nothing to do with taking sides. There are too many people who troll this forum, or just automically disagree with posts. They even spam dislike moderators and dev posts just as some secretly pleasing form of rebellion. It really served no purpose but to breed negativity as Fibijean said. Unfortunately, this community has a lot of people who abuse systems and the rest of us suffer for it.

• KillermainBTWm8KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,188

It was introduced at the start, then it was introduced again. I was around for the second time it was active and well....you wouldn't get downvoted just for having an opinion people didn't like. People would literally go to your profile and downvote every single post you have if they didn't like you. It just spread negativity sadly.