Home Discussions General Discussions
Forum Community Moderator applications are now open! Click here for more information: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/204586/community-moderator-applications

If you play both Survivor and Killer, are you happy or upset about the Ruin change overall?

Comments

• kate_best_girlkate_best_girl Member Posts: 1,076

The survivor main side of me is overjoyed I no longer have to waste half of the time looking for ruin while the killer main side of doesn't care (I play hag and spirit so I dont really need it) But I think its a horrible decision and is beginning the process of fully killing this game

• OmansOmans Member Posts: 419
    edited January 16

Horrible, horrible change.

Such a tone-deaf change from the devs.

Won't even be able to find games as survivor anymore because all the killers will disappear. When you do find one it will either be a super low rank killer or an actual good super try-harding with moris because that's what it will take to have what feels like a fair game for them without ruin.

Killer lobbies will pop super fast, and at rank 1 I'll still get lots of 4k's because the devs have destroyed matchmaking. Most games I go against low rank survivors as a rank 1 killer... The few games I get that have survivors close to my skill level will be a hilariously easy game for the survivors if the map is one of the large number of terrible maps.

Devs don't care about high rank gameplay if they go through with this change.

Post edited by Omans on
  • BenZ0BenZ0 Member Posts: 1,846

Upsad, I just used ruin on Killers that needs to prepare at the start of the game "Myers, Trapper, Hag" and I never had a problem with Ruin. I just hated it when potato survivors were to scared to touch a gen when Ruin was active. What was really annoying but overall, I think the new Ruin is a really cool and interesting perk, it just doesn't deserve to be a hex anymore for my opinion. We all know totems will never stay longer then a min but what did we learned from almo? iTs vErY pOwErFuLl iN lAtE GaMe.

What makes me the most upsad, they should've do something with the gens aswell while they planned to nerf ruin. The nerf of the Ruin was kinda at the "wrong" time, now the genrush of swf will be even stronger and low tier killers will be even worse now.

• AtchooAtchoo Member Posts: 322

I am not so happy with the upcoming changes (yet). I think Ruin is not the main issue, there are way more problems which need to be fixed in combination.

I tried to visualize those connections between different game issues here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/119866/ruin-gen-speed-adressing-the-elephant-in-the-room#latest

• asergioamasergioam Member Posts: 361
    edited January 16

This is the most important thing, without good matchmaking, is impossible to have a good ranking system and without that it will always be impossible to do a good balancing of the game thus making perk changes always seem unfair for some and very good for others but without reliable data (because of a bad ranking system supported by a bad matchmaking system) it's really impossible to say for sure if it's a good change or not.

• PrettyFaceKatePrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,705

Not a good change. Ruin becomes potentially OP for high-pressure killers who didn't need it in the first place and useless for the killers that needed it.

They should have just reworked it as a hex that increased base gen time to 100 sec flat, maybe disabled great skill checks and doesn't stack with other slowdown perks/add-ons while the totem is active, BUT it's also immune to genrush perks/items.

Boom, noob friendly and still works early game in favor of the killer and there are no hostage situations. If the survivors don't want to hold m1 for that long, they can simply look for the totem. Ez.

• DonZwiebelDonZwiebel Member Posts: 98

I don't really care for the ruin changes neither as survivor (red/purple ranks) where I'm usually pushing through it, nor as killer (purple/green ranked) where my perk builds in almost every case don't contain any hex perks aside from haunted grounds.

So Ruin could even be removed from the game and it would almost make no difference to me.

• LeyoyoLeyoyo Member Posts: 102

I can understand why they are nurfing it , i don t have trouble to hit great skillcheck but some people can t or this can be awfull for new player , that a good point .

Killer side well at red ranks that do anything but at lower tier ( rank 8 ) that gonna hurt killers and make them even more stressfull to play as.

I think de just need a gameplay mecanic to slow the game the first min to let lower tier killer to apply pressure.

• TunnelVisionTunnelVision Member Posts: 863

I play both and prefer old ruin in all honesty. Yes it's annoying, no i can't hit great skill checks. I enjoyed hunting the hex down. New ruin has just made me a survivor main, but i doubt i'll last long at that since queue times are ridiculous now. But hey, at least survivors get to have fun!

• gibblywibblywoogibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 1,659

As a survivor that CAN hit great skill checks (because apparently thats rare here) I realise that this is going to make matches shorter which means more time searching for matches and less rank points points/bp

I guess if gens are easier that means I can dick about with different builds more like sabo and MoM

As a killer it makes me not want to play anyone but spirit in red ranks anymore.

• gauger236gauger236 Member Posts: 11

I never use ruin on my killers so I could care less about the change.as soon as you hook one survivor they all start scrambling for the hero save so no gens getting done anyway

• Stitch7833Stitch7833 Member Posts: 632

so i play probably 85% survivor, 15% killer both rank 1. but i dont like the change tbh, i always did solo survivor for games to be more challenging and tense yet still fun at the same time, most games i could hit ruin skillchecks unless i was having an off day so id just get the totem which lets be honest isnt hard at all once you understand tiles. Although i believe ruin needed a change this was the wrong way about it, its made it too easier now for everyone to escape for the sake of new player. new players hardly went against ruin, you barely see it until purple ranks before it all changed. but now we have another hex not many people will use while games get easier, i also feel it takes a huge part of learning and skill from the survivor side, struggling with ruin would make you learn to hit great skill checks, lead better chases because the gens are going slower and even teach you map tiles while you looked for the totem if you needed to. but now... well if the killer doesnt break off a chase from me im expecting 2+gens per chase

• nick_larkingnick_larking Member Posts: 30

^ this. (certainly not good enough to warrant it being a hex)

• Dr_doom_j2Dr_doom_j2 Member Posts: 869

He's actually a very good actor when he plays more serious roles.. plus he has classics, and Transylvania is a major franchise

• Kbot22Kbot22 Member Posts: 83

The whole entire survivor objective should be changed anyway, no one wants to just sit on a Gen for over 80 seconds anyway and ruin was a bad perk betting on people not doing gens and looking for the totem. If people did gens with ruin and hit their skill checks gens will still be done <5 min.

• InfckingcredibleInfckingcredible Member Posts: 145

As a killer i don't like the change without adressing the issue in the same step and as a survivor i appreciate it but understand even less why genspeed is not getting adressed (both from q red rank perspective). Gens just go so fast and with ruin, even if it's active for only 20 seconds - it still slows the start down (2 people doing gens but eventually missing checks, 2 people running around for few seconds)

• White_OwlWhite_Owl Member Posts: 2,817
    edited January 16

Personally I like it. I never use Ruin on my killers (I prefer more active perks) and as survivors I can power though with no problem, but I won't miss the frustration of seeing teammates running around doing [BAD WORD] until the totem is cleansed.

• CLAUDETTEINABUSHCLAUDETTEINABUSH Member Posts: 1,566

I'm a killer main that just started playing survivor a bit,and I'm happy about the change. It needed to happen imo.

• SonzaishinaiSonzaishinai Member Posts: 2,436

The new ruin seems like a perk that i will enjoy playing more but it's way weaker overall

All and all i think the change will be more healthy for the game IF they look at genspeed by the next patch

• CleviteClevite Member Posts: 1,881

As a survivor I am just fine with the change.

My killer side is a bit annoyed. I can't mess around with my clown as much as I have been without being so try hard.

• arslaNarslaN Member Posts: 1,906

I like the idea of the new ruin but I don't think it's the right time for a change like this. At the very least, maps should have been adressed before a change like this could happen.

• Hex_KillerMainBTWHex_KillerMainBTW Member Posts: 418

I could see why ruin was a necessary evil (old ruin) because playing as a survivor I could see how much of a struggle it could be for killers to get at least one hook in before the first gen was popped. Me and a few friends went into a game using mechanic and engineer tool boxes with BNPs and wire sockets on Cold wind farm against an Oni. Two gens were popped before first chase even began. Four escapes with maybe 1-2 hooks on a few people.

However, if the killer is good at finding survivors early in the game, new ruin will be amazing if you can push people off generators, I can see how end game it could be very powerful, however it's also pointless due to it being a totem perk.

As a killer, I do like it mainly because I'm able to get some early game pressure onto players. However, if I find a survivor, end chase and put them on a hook, one or two gens can easily go by. I honestly think that ruin should be removed as a totem perk seeing how it's still easily broken IF the survivors choose to break it. I honestly think that the new ruin will still be hard on new players due to the fact most of them will get off a gen even if it's close to being finished soon as they are in terror radius range. Though, killers such as Freddy, I still don't use ruin on seeing as there's good mobility, but slower moving killers that don't use good information perks will suffer from changes. Hopefully, ruin changes will help killers not chase someone who's moving away from generators.

In all honesty, I believe the new ruin is what surge should have been with a few tweaks. If a generator isn't being worked on within 32 meters it starts regressing. Surge is great despite the fact it's only 8% reduction, and I feel that's why it isn't really being used as much.

• TommyFredoTommyFredo Member Posts: 48

I play 75/25, mostly a survivor. But I do understand the benefits and the downsides of the new Ruin. As a survivor I'm not happy, I prefer a competition and not having Ruin at the beginning of the game is almost a guaranteed 3 gen pop within 5 minutes (for me and my group, not guranteed for every game). Yes, more double pip-ing and ranking up, but until gen times are fixed the game will be a cake walk for me during a SWF. On the killer side it's not fun for many high tier killers, but there will finally be a meta switch.. the first new killer meta in god knows how long. It will separate the good killers from the bad killers, and it'll finally help beginner Killers get the idea that you have to run ruin, or you'll lose, mentality out of their heads. I can't wait to see what killers bring to the table. Great post by the way!

• FearlessHunterFearlessHunter Member Posts: 365

I feel like with the new rank change Ruin was the only way you could learn a new killer without having to worry about being dominated in 5 mins flat. it bought you a bit of time to figure out how the new killer powers work.

I honestly think the devs should have compromised the ruin nerf by either removing the speed addons on toolboxes or made it cap at a certain number

• Kongtwenty12Kongtwenty12 Member Posts: 139

Personally I like the new ruin and doc changes. I'm looking forward to seeing how things play out and what changes they make before the release. I never really use ruin as killer anyways but I might actually use the new version.

• premiumRICEpremiumRICE Member Posts: 702

It will be harsher cause it will be easier for noob survs to perform better but good surv will stay the same. I like the concept but I think it is not strong enough for what Ive seen until now

• sneakymegheadsneakymeghead Member Posts: 32

I ONLY play survivor and I'm very HAPPY about the ruin rework 😋

• MrDardonMrDardon Member Posts: 1,551

Well, it's ok because it removes the time wasted on generator kicks. It also regresses when you chase the person down who was on it. If the Survivors aren't Swf the chances that this one gen is being worked on a few seconds later are pretty low. It's interesting but unfortunately a Hex which can be cleansed pretty fast and early.

• edgarpoopedgarpoop Member Posts: 2,421
    edited January 16

I think the Ruin change is mostly good. No matter the rank, there is a good chance you'll have teammmates that simply can't or won't work through it. I also have much more fun in survivor games when Ruin isn't there. If there is a game speed problem, the devs need to see it without a bandaid over it before they can truly address it.

That being said, I caution against what seems to be a trend towards balancing for the lowest common denominator. In any multiplayer game I've ever played, a large portion of the playerbase will somehow find and live at the skill floor, regardless of how low the floor is. You can keep lowering the acceptable floor, but then players won't improve.