Home Discussions General Discussions
The 4.3.1 Bugfix Patch drops today. For release times and patch notes, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/201738

I’m a much happier Killer main ever since I changed the way I play matches.

1235»

Comments

• dollbaby7870dollbaby7870 Member Posts: 23

Cheers to the best post I've ever read in these forums!

And yes this is how you should play any game!

• NuclearBurritoNuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,706

I have the opposite approach.

I'm highly competitive, but also pragmatic, so I don't get bothered by a lot of things other people do.

Tbagging? That's time not spent running.

Flashlight clicking. Thanks for giving yourself away AND wasting flashlight usage AND not running.

Gen Rush/Looping? What? I'm expecting them to do that, the entire gameplay loop is around me trying to stop them while they attempt to do that.

In other words, I don't get tilted cuz I'm a bit detatched from the whole thing due to my focus purely being on strategy as I'm playing.

• Hex_KillerMainBTWHex_KillerMainBTW Member Posts: 418

I couldn't play the game overly seriously. The unfortunate side is that it's always within a rank setting. Along with the us vs them mentality.

I believe the funniest match I had: I was playing ghost face, and while looping someone around I was going up and down, so after that the survivor and I were playing hide and seek by peeking up and down. Greatest match of my life.

Btw, it just turned into a farming match

• KuromiStarwindKuromiStarwind Member Posts: 325
    edited January 18

That's fine, and most realistic people do that, so it's an irrelevant argument to be making to people. You can sit there and say you made a bad mistake and it cost you, a chase that went on too long you may have played poorly, you got a bad map as a killer that it's terrible on, the survivors played really coordinated and were probably SWF. You can make your unfun experience seem "reasonable" But those situations don't always happen, and the reality is there are just so many things that can make your experience unfun that it isn't as clear cut as just "not caring" and having fun anyway

• Eye66Eye66 Member Posts: 759

"Play to lose so the other team always wins, everyone's a winner! Let's balance everything that way and live in the vile dystopia of Harrison Bergeron!"

I'm sorry this is just so sick it freaks me out too much

• EZ5kEZ5k Member Posts: 233

I'm considering that last bit myself, especially since the devs haven't given a concrete answer on gen times, just a paltry "if"

• johnmwarnerjohnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

For some people it is, for me I only play killer for blood points at the moment.

• whammigobambamwhammigobambam Member Posts: 642

Mute the sound, put on some music and just chase and hook. Sometimes I get the win be cause I never try to 4k. Sometimes I get the loss but I got my BBQ stacks. Sometimes I'm in the basement practicing my moonwalks, waiting for the egc timer.

• TokkernTokkern Member Posts: 74

Cool story bro.

• ReallyBigShoeReallyBigShoe Member Posts: 764

Oh okay. The first few words literally saying "I no longer play to win" had me confused. Damn me for taking it literally.

/s

• OmegaXIIOmegaXII Member Posts: 1,576

Aiming to win as killer in this game costs me my health (both physically and mentally) to a point that it is not worth it.

Everyone likes winning, but in this game, i have to give up. I had more fun accepting the lose than winning with 4k by sweating

• DwightOPDwightOP Member Posts: 2,329

I don't get ur point, honestly. U can have more fun in a balanced game.

• A_Can_Of_AirA_Can_Of_Air Member Posts: 781

This game will not be perfectly balanced in a very long time, it’s an asymmetrical game. I’ve been a part of a game just like it before and sadly due to lots of bad decisions, not just balancing, it died. I’m hoping the same doesn’t happen here but I had a ton of fun with Evolve, and now I’m just trying to do the same here, wether the game succeeds for years to come (which it probably will) or it sinks. The community here is like a wild tornado compared to the moderate breeze that was Evolves community.

• DwightOPDwightOP Member Posts: 2,329
    edited January 18

But you missed the topic by addressing something different. It felt like you just throw in a different opinion just to avoid agreeing with me.

• kimukipikimukipi Member Posts: 133

One simple trick. Local killers hate him. Click to know how.

• thrawn3054thrawn3054 Member Posts: 3,305

You can take it that way sure. Another way to see it, is people remembering it's a game. That they'll play their best, and if they lose it's okay. Most of the stress that killers are under, is self inflicted. They put so much pressure on themselves to win, is it any wonder that it's a miserable experience for them? I know that's why I don't play killer more. I want to win, and make myself miserable if I don't.

That's not to say there isn't balance issues. There most certainly is. But everyone needs to stop blaming their bad experience on balance alone.

• Ultama160Ultama160 Member Posts: 11

Some people play serious, some don't point is gratz you don't care about winning but if i wanted to shut my brain off while playing I would play a different game. All the twitch streamers you watch go silent when playing killer because it takes actually focus and they spend way more time reading comments as surv because theres far less to worry about

• Peppa_PigsawPeppa_Pigsaw Member Posts: 97

The pipping system used to annoy me to no end. Then I stopped caring about rank and pips.

Bad map design used to annoy me to no end. Then I stopped caring about that too.

Frustrating perks to play against annoyed me as well. Stopped caring about those.

The only thing that really sets me off now as Killer are those matches where it ends in about 3 minutes. The matches where you literally can't do anything as Killer except lose. Those still tilt me to unhealthy degrees.

But I'm starting to not care about those as well.

TL:DR If you want to enjoy killer you have to be a soulless husk of a human being who just has unhealthy levels of "Don't Care Virgin."

• CarpemortumCarpemortum Member Posts: 4,511
    edited January 18

Again, who says you HAVE to pip to have fun or win? Pipping up does NOTHING for you, other than give you an imagi ary number to make you think you're better than someone else. There is no reward, no incentive, no bonus. So popping and ranking up is a matchmaking tool, not a signal of victory. You can get a 4k, and still not pip up. You still won if you enjoyed yourself. Especially considering you got the 4k?

Too many people still think you have to use this made up ranking system (that isnt a ranking system at all) to determine what is fun or a win.

Because I play to enjoy the game, not prove to the other 4 people I'm a god at the game. I dont care how bad the map is, if I enjoy the game, I enjoy the game. IT'S A GAME. Not an e sports tryout.

That's not a pyrrhic victory. That's you "putting everything into a match" when it's a game. Why put a ton of work into a match, when you already believe its unbalanced, instead of playing the game to enjoy the game. Sure, absolutely do your best, and everyone likes to win outright, but it's only sour because YOU worked super hard and in your eyes, it STILL wasnt enough. Just play the game to enjoy it, let the meaningless "rank" system piss off.

I'm sorry you cant have fun unless a game is perfectly balanced, especially in one that has no competetive mode. If its not fun for you, maybe try another game?

Most other people don't have this approach to killer matches, sorry

• NoShinyPonyNoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

You were saying "Youd be surprised how many people think a 3k hatch escape is a loss". I was merely pointing out how the game in a lot of cases indeed defines a 3k as a loss.