The 3.6.0 PTB is now live on Steam! For full details, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/130916/
We are aware and looking into the issue which caused players to have their rank reset further than intended. If your rank was not reset at all this month, this is a visual bug and closing and re-opening the game should fix it.
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost

Hello,

I'm experiencing regular game crashes. It's already been annoying as it is but now with the DC penalty active and me not being able to play anymore now, I am hoping that somebody can help me

Assertion failed: [File:Unknown] [Line: 198] Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x887A0005 - 'REMOVED')

I get those crashes sometimes, and sometimes not at all. But when I do, its 3-5 in a row and then it's not crashing again for a week. Rinse and repeat. I can play every other game just fine.

It's always "Line 198".

I did install the latest drivers, I also verified the game files (yet again). I don't run anythin else apart from Steam and Discord when I play. Restarting the PC doesn't help, it just keeps crashing a couple of times.

I'm running Win7 64 bit, 8GB Ram, GTX1050Ti, Processor AMD FX 6300 3,50GHz

Thank you

Comments

• Slay___Slay___ Member Posts: 455

That error means that your graphics card/driver briefly shutdown and restarted or otherwise were unable to handle the game graphics.

Most common causes can be bad driver, overheating, overclocked card, faulty graphics card or corrupt Windows.

Try turning off all unnecessary overlays, Discord overlay for example.

This game doesn't handle overclocked GPUs so well so if you have overclocked yours, try going back to default. If you haven't touched the clockspeed you can try lowering it anyway just a bit to test if that makes any difference.

Verifying game file integrity checks your installed files using Steam download cache, so you can go even further with the checks by clearing download cache using this Steam tool, https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638&l=

Other things to try could be monitoring your graphics card temperature to see if it overheats and lowering game graphics.

Also check and maybe attach your game log file here where the crash occurs, note that the game creates new log file for each game session. To do that drag your file to your reply, it can be accessed by pressing Windows key + R and typing in the prompt this, %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\DeadByDaylight\Saved\Logs

• myerschanmyerschan Member Posts: 3

I've just had a new crash now, here's the log file. The crash occured before I was eben able to walk 1 step, in the time where the camera rotates around your model for a few seconds.

I haven't overclocked anything here. I just turned off the Discord overlay and we will see how it works. I will also clear my steam cache and lower my graphic settings in DBD.

I've had issues with a shutting down graphic driver in the past. To be exact, since about 5 years. Apart from my mainboard/cpu, I've replaced all hardware in the meantime. The issue still persists. I've tried installing every possible old and new driver vesion, I have googled my way through the whole internet and back, tried every suggested solution without a positive result.

I've formatted my pc several times, tried using different ram, hard drives, to see where the issue lays. I bought a new graphics card because I thought my old one was broken. The issue remains.

Weirdly though, I play a hand full of games regularly, but I am only experiencing those crashes when I play DBD, even though at least 2 games are newer and require more resources.

Thank you for your suggestions so far. It's much appreciated

• Slay___Slay___ Member Posts: 455
    edited February 16

I am not experienced enough to say if this is correct or not but could maybe be worth a try, since the log file seems to refer to shader cache multiple times.

Open Nvidia control panel, under 3D Settings select Manage 3D settings, on Global Settings disable Shader Cache. Then reboot your PC and clear both %TEMP% and C:\Windows\Temp folders, some files may be in use and cannot be deleted, those can be skipped. Now re-enable Shader Cache from Nvidia control panel and reboot again.

Then test if the problem reoccurs or not.

But this theory assumes you get corruption, bugs and/or issues every single time you format your hard drive and start over. Maybe game updates, driver updates, etc?

If you get dump files (see the very bottom of first post: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/153/master-fixes-and-general-guidelines ) then you probably should contact support directly here: https://support.deadbydaylight.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

This is everything I can personally suggest as I don't have enough knowledge of graphics and/or Unreal Engine crashes apart from some Internet searching and basic PC usage skills.

EDIT: Steam also keeps some shaders cached here: {InstallPath-orGameInstallPath}Steam\steamapps\shadercache\381210

• KhaineGBKhaineGB Member, Mod Posts: 1,417

You can also use overclocking software to REDUCE the speed of your GPU and see if that resolves the issue.

If it does, it can point to overheating or bad PSU (which really shouldn't be the case with that GPU)

• myerschanmyerschan Member Posts: 3

Since the first time I've had this issue, I formated my PC several times. Always a full wipe and not a system overwrite thing. I tried different hard drives and every available old and new display driver.

As I said, apart from my mainboard, I've swapped ALL of my hardware since the issue first occured and I still didn't find a solution for it. And I haven't done a BIOS update either.

I am going to get another mainboard tomorrow and will upgrade to Windows 10. If the issue still occurs by then, I'll try the cache thing you suggested. Many thanks!

• wojtechwojtech Member Posts: 6

You can try this

open %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\DeadByDaylight\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\GameUserSettings.ini in editor and add these lines

[WinDrv.WindowsClient]

ParanoidDeviceLostChecking=0