Home Discussions General Discussions
Due to latency issues in the PTB, we have decided to postpone the server hit validation test until after the update releases on the live version of the game. We will let you know when the test will take place as soon as we can. Thank you all for your patience.

Here’s some controversy for ya. Otz recent Clown videos show just how oppressive Clown can be.

Comments

• emptyCupsemptyCups Member Posts: 1,168

Oppressive?

His kills came from overalutrism at the end nothing more.

If they did gens instead of going for the sabo as a pair they all would've walked.

Ozt shows how gen speed is ridiculous and survivors need a massive nerf.

If a top tier streamer struggles that much what hope to the common players have

• MarcusMarcus Member Posts: 2,014

As I already said once, survivors playing safe around pallets and unbalanced map design destroys him just as much.

• SairekSairek Member Posts: 4,886

I refuse to believe Clown is oppressive when a good portion of the time his gas bottles don't even function properly. Nothing like throwing a gas bottle ahead of someone and they scream as they run into the cloud and still run full tilt through the gas bottle like it's butterflies and rainbows and just fast vaults the window completely unphased.

Can't rely on a killer that often times doesn't work as intended. That's why nobody plays Nurse despite the fact she can be good still with enough practice.

• WRussoWWRussoW Member Posts: 715

A video where a killer gets 4 kills because a survivor team wasn't doing great: "Lol, all killers are good. People who can't win are just bad. Killers are OP in good hands."

A video where a killer makes only a few small mistakes and fully loses: "The killer is bad because... Because... Because they didn't put enough pressure. And they are baaad, REEEE."

These are pretty much reactions to all the threads like this one.

• avilmaskavilmask Member Posts: 591

What I saw in that video is just doing gens very quickly still isn't enough to beat killers that know their thing, you still should know other things aside from pressing m1. That's an overlook from BHVRs side, there should be a way to beat killers like that. When you realize that killer isn't stupid game stops being fun.

And look at that emblems, killer lost his gens in record time and he still got gold in his gatekeeper. Like, why?

• KebekKebek Member Posts: 1,290

Tbh Otz won that game due to playing survivor who are potatoes at chases. If you watch how they play against clown you immediately see that they have literally no clue how to beat him in chase. They can't win any mindgames, are constantly out of position, run to very unsafe loops constantly and what is the biggest mistake don't drop pallets slightly earlier then they should and thus get downed easily.

And what is worst, even such incredible potatoes at chases managed to do 4 gens. I don't want to imagine what would happen if Otz played only 1-2 more chases poorlier then he did. They would probably mange to get at lest 2 out. Also also none of them even had meta build or any items (with exception of 1 decent toolbox). If they did and were able ot use it properly that would swing that game a lot too. Almost all of them had meme builds against Otz's pretty good Clown build.

What I'm trying to say is that they were nowhere near Otz's skill level and still did quite well. If he played survivors on his skill level, I don't think he would be winning.

• Deadman316Deadman316 Member Posts: 418

Clown is not oppressive. If they take away his Sonic the Hedgehog speed though, that would be great.

• CosmicParagonCosmicParagon Member Posts: 701

He only won because the survivors were 4heads who hookbombed when they KNEW he had STBFL

• PlantCollectorPlantCollector Member Posts: 190

You're not better than the people you're refering to if you only look at the outcome of a game. The hole round itsself seems not to interest you at all. If a killer gets a 4k because the survivors keep unhooking wihtout bt and ds next to the killer that doesn't mean the game is fine as it is.

• Reborn2020Reborn2020 Member Posts: 1,138

Clown negates loops it was obviuos. The only counter in a chase against him is to drop pallet earlier and a combo of several structures, loops.

• OberonOberon Member Posts: 84

That's what his kit is for, but if the other survivors continue working on gens, the survivors won't have any trouble getting out of the match.

• CoderCoder Member Posts: 580

No, as all Otz videos, they show how good Save The Best For Last is. Also, he plays DBD for a living, you can't expect everyone to play like Otz or like Tru3 since most people can't be playing DBD for hours and hours every day...

• FibijeanFibijean Member Posts: 8,283

I don't understand what point you're trying to make there. Obviously, if the survivors play badly and the killer does not, the killer will win. Just like in any other competitive game. That doesn't demonstrate conclusively that the game is balanced, but it definitely doesn't indicate the opposite.

And of course it's important to pay attention to how a certain outcome was achieved for analytical reasons, but what would you say a game should be balanced around if not the win condition (or the "outcome")? If the first generator going quickly in this case obviously wasn't a problem as far as the killer's killrate or emblems are concerned, then why exactly would it have been a problem?

• GroxiverdeGroxiverde Member Posts: 714

I like that some people think clown is a good killer. So when I play survivor, I can have some fun destroying them. Please never stop with this type of posts.

• HakuHaku Member Posts: 535

I mean that's the difference between someone being really good at playing the killer and the majority of players that re not really that good. It is like people saying Billy is easly loopable and balanced. Sure thing thing he is until u meet someone who knows how to play him and the game ends soon after it started. I've realised Clown is extremelly strong in chase long ago but majoritiy of players just can't master him that well

• BigTimeGamerBigTimeGamer Member Posts: 1,065

anecdotal evidence does not make clown good or oppressive, there are times when Otz plays Clown and gets completely shut down, where are those vids?

you post a lot of threads trying to prove Clown to be better than he is, why not just use that time and ask for him to be buffed which he desperately needs.

Clown is below Legion, nothing will change my mind on that since Legion can actually injure someone

• TodgeweihtTodgeweiht Member Posts: 2,378

People need to learn that some games by streamer dont represent what the average experience is like.

• ChekitaChekita Member Posts: 87

It's not controversy at all, it's just a pointless discussion (which is what we like the most!). A said killer being good, bad or average doesnt depend on a set of performances by a single person that you watched, or even several of them. Any killer right now at the game can be very good at the hands of a very good player or against subpar survivors, or depending on the circunstamces (bad luck, mistakes and map).

What is considered in general to say a killer is high tier or good is that he/she have either a greater potential when mastered because of their power to end chases instantly (like Nurse), or it's an easy to use killer, making its power easy to use even for people who didnt master the killer role or the specific killer and that particular characteristic can be showed by statistics (Like Spirit and new Freddy with High Pick and High kill rates).

• DudeDeliciousDudeDelicious Member Posts: 7,821

I’d love some buffs.

But after taking the necessary time to properly learn how to use his power I can confidently say that whatever buffs/changes he receives in the future (if ever) need to be extremely small.

No amount of large buffs Clown receives will ever change how obvious it is at this point that most players are unwilling to take the time to properly learn him, and will just continue to just “pew pew pew” bottles without thought or strategy.

Otherwise the few Clown mains that already know what they’re doing will make games even MORE miserable for survivors.

I’m not commenting on the average experience though. I’m commenting on what is POSSIBLE with a character when players are willing to filter out all the noise of popular opinion, and invest time learning how to use a power properly.

• SpirezSpirez Member Posts: 444

These survivors made so many mistakes. It doesn’t matter what killer you play, if the survivors make a ton of mistakes the killer is going to win. That’s like if I uploaded a game with legion where I got 4 kills within the first 2 minutes of a game and then saying legion is the best killer in the game and people aren’t realizing how oppressive he can be. It’s about the overall and how a killer does in all situations not how a killer does against bad survivors making mistakes in one certain game.

• RaptorrotasRaptorrotas Member Posts: 1,937

Aside from the first gen being done in about ~25-30 seconds, they were playing rather poorly, swarming hooks etc.

• Divine_ConfettiDivine_Confetti Member Posts: 1,081
    edited March 18

Finally decided to watch the video in question. The 2nd game I already saw live so it was a rewatch for me.

1st game: The only two downs that I really consider Clown-based downs are at 3:00 and 5:10, and they're both on the same loop (that the survivors shouldn't have played anyway, or at least played differently IE dropping the pallet early). There was a lot of waiting at pallets (but still getting hit) and really bad plays where they just kind of waited or ran into him for no good reason. The early down on Nancy was a super critical mistake on her part. The Feng wasting time with sabo didn't help either. STBFL did most of the work here, not Clown. A better team would've won.

2nd game: Just...really bad plays, again. Bad map too (the entire middle with all the reeds and nothing else, oof), but they wasted all the pallets in the beginning, the green Claudette got downed ridiculously fast because she screwed up her movement, the Meg ran right into him in the open multiple times, the black jacket Claudette got hit on the boat and dropped the pallet like a dunce (then got mindgamed at that pallet later somehow), and only 2 gens ever got done because they never really split up, just ran around and died. STBFL, once again, did most of the work here, not Clown (though 19:37 is a good example of Clown shutting down window vaults, though if the pallet wasn't wasted pointlessly earlier...). A better team probably would've won here, though Pale Rose can be tough for survivor IMO.

All this video really shows is that Clown has a power, and it can be useful sometimes. What it doesn't show is that power in action against good survivors. Like, at all. Not a single one of those 8 people were good. No offense if any of them browse the forums, I'm not good either and I hate facing Clown. I get that you're trying to convince people to break out of their comfort zones and try something different, but the video in question isn't a great motivator. If anything it just makes me question how much faster other killers could dominate those teams.

E: You know, what the video really shows is just how good STBFL can be against greedy/overly aggressive/altruistic survivors that don't take positioning seriously. It's a really powerful perk when people feed, kinda like charging Zarya in Overwatch. I suppose you could say Clown makes getting those hits easier, but if they don't group up and they get a map with good routes (not necessarily loops) that they know how to play properly, what do you do? Same deal in Overwatch, if they don't feed and you have no way to force them to feed...

• Raven9Raven9 Member Posts: 298

Man ... Nobody says anything about this for Legion ... I'm scared ;D

Ok, they’re not fantastic examples.

It’s clear he hasn’t dedicated the same kind of commitment to Clown like a Clown main.

Regardless of the survivors, his recent videos show what a player SHOULD be doing with the bottles most of the time. (I did disclose he was still doing “brain fart” things with bottles a Clown player shouldn’t be doing. Heck I still do dumb stuff occasionally with bottles mid chase when I’ve had a momentary lapse of concentration)

Let's just wait a little bit, okay? Maps have not changed yet. Just a little patience...just a little patience..

I’m not quite understanding what you’re getting at

I mean, the maps will be resized, safe places will decrease, the amount of pallets will change and there will be especially fragile walls. Since the size of the map is the biggest problem in general, we cannot reach them. Did you drink?