Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

How do people still not realize that tunneling is one of the only ways to create permanent pressure.

hex_genrushhex_genrush Member Posts: 736
edited March 2020 in General Discussions

A loss of one teammate is detrimental to the team, and if eliminated early can easily assure you a 4k or drastically decrease the time crunch. Yes I know, nobody likes to get tunneled, but sometimes it’s really the only way depending on the killer you are playing , survivor skill level , and map. Now please spare me of that “ oh well you just need to git gud and adapt, I 4k every game with perkless clown on haddon field at red ranks and I never tunnel or camp. Your just an entitled killer main who wants an easy win.” Talk because it’s complete bull and does nothing to contribute to a discussion and puts down whoever’s talking about it

Comments

• johnmwarnerjohnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

Gen speed isn’t in a good place. Survivors don’t want to hold M1 longer, because it’s unfun... but they don’t like tunneling (a strong counter to gen speed) because it’s unfun...

FYI I don’t tunnel because I play both sides and I know how absolutely unfun it is as survivor, but until gen speed gets fixed I will not judge or bad mouth killers who feel the need to do it

• PigMainClaudettePigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

You will after 20 games of it. No joke.

As for gen-speeds, it all depends on rank and role. Killer? Too quick early, regardless of rank. Rank is then applied in a similar manner to that of the survivor's perspective. Survivor? Too slow in low ranks, good in mid, pretty fast in red.

• edgarpoopedgarpoop Member Posts: 5,611

Tunneling isn't effective against the players you'll need to tunnel. It won't be worth it against really good players. 3 or 4 gens will be done by the time you focus down one player. That's aside from the fact that it's a distasteful playstyle to tunnel from the outset. There are more effective ways to play.

• DeathslingerDeathslinger Member Posts: 570

Well, personally I think BHVR needs to make more subtle nods towards how everyone ‘wants’ the game to go and perks to encourage that. Like a bonus bp to killers for hooking (all survivors). Either a 1 time bonus for every time it happens or a bp bonus that builds as you play and maxes out when you 3 hook every survivor. More reason to encourage killers not to care so much about the tunnel or kill and try to spread the hooks out when possible.

Maybe not make the killer feel bad by having a bad game or letting all survivors escape. ENTITY DISPLEASED. Half the time I feel like the Entity is my mother and I’ve let her down by playing too fair, so I feel it’s more necessary to secure a kill (camp/tunnel) just to please the Entity.

You could add a new survivor perk that could rival ‘were gunna live forever’. I think survivors really need a new perk that grants stacks like (BBQ) and up to 100% bonus blood points. Personally, I think a portion of solo survivors are having a bad time because they are all trying to fight for the unhook and the killer really has no reason not to stay near the hooked survivor and play hook, rinse, repeat till the survivor is dead and the game becomes killer sided.

If say, you got stacks for healing complete health states (All perk related healing and mednkits/add ons are debatable but I’d suggest self care didn’t stack) then it would encourage survivors to heal/work together and slow down the game. So now we could reward altruistic plays and healers, hopefully splitting the desire of certain survivor roles and not having everyone mad dash to the hooked survivor or farm the randoms.

I’d also be down for the same idea but for completing a complete generator. I mean gen jockeys are also a thing and a necessary part of a team when things are looking bad. Sometimes it’s the gen jockey who keeps the killer pressured when the other three are saving/healing/distracting/hanging and why not also give them a perk that takes up a slot but rewards them BP for working gens.

My point is, we can point fingers at the community all we want but at the end of the day, most of us are just trying to work out the bp grind and BHVR has offered only 2 perks that really help with that. BBQ is great for killers because it rewards the killer for not tunneling 1 survivor to death by at least securing 1 hook for each survivor before anything else. Me with BBQ and without will change my mindset in the game. I never feel like a loser, If I snagged a load of BP, even if every1 escapes.

We’re gunna live forever also encourages survivors to save each other and try to help save each other in mid chases and take hits or aggro. This is great BUT not if every survivor is trying to do the same thing. Survivors need a more group mentality and to be the most effective team by having different roles as their main objective. Less reward for being a team healer or gen jockey right now, better to be the crazy guy mad dashing to every chase and hook to score more bp.

Just saying BHVR. Simply reward the killer and survivor playstyles that you feel will make the game more healthy. People will still be toxic but many others would be more tolerable to the negative aspects of this game if it helped with the grind. I’d ignore a near death Jake for a never hooked before Nancy (giving up my chance to swing the game in my favor, if it meant I could secure a bp bonus despite what happens afterwards), in a heart beat.

• KingFrostKingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

I hook AFK's. They might disconnect, and then I miss out on BBQ.

I do agree that the game needs to start making it feel better for killers when they get 6+ hooks. I'd say 7 hooks should be a win for the entity, regardless of rank or how many people were actually taken out of the game.

• MPUKMPUK Member Posts: 357

For me a much better way of applying pressure when a survivor immediately unhooks in front of me or the survivor I am chasing runs to the hook and unhooks is to down the unhooked, it stops the unhooker getting their bonus for safe unhook and then carry on after the unhooker. The unhooked person now needs someone to come and get him off the floor whilst you chase the other.

As a survivor I don't mind that play either. It is the really desperate abandoning a chase with unhooker to down the unhooked and throw them straight back on the hook that I find embarrassing for the killer when I am a survivor. Too scared to play properly. Always come up with an excuse though, usually gen rush. When the reality is they spent too long on someone in the first place.

• Reborn2020Reborn2020 Member Posts: 1,138

I tihnk sometimes by tunneling people imply taking out survivor as fast as possible.

• vigilante714vigilante714 Member Posts: 21

you're only talking about the result. nvm the process of downing them. well if were neglecting the process of doing something. taking out a survivor while the 3 other just finishing a gen. whats worse, if the other 3, just like the dev said, has BT, DS. then more gens complete if you neglect all 3 of them

• BananaBlooD95BananaBlooD95 Member Posts: 528

If the first person being chase isn't a complete potato and the other are doing the objective you can easily do 2-3gen by the first hook. And by your 6-7th hook survivors can easily do 4gens. Believe me most killer would like to have the chance of hooking 2-3 different survivor before going back to the first one they hook but the game depend on how skilled survivor are and not or the killer's skill. In fact killer's mistake make your chases last way longer.

BTW it's not hard at all to get a 2k just by camping and tunneling.

Also I have no problem being decent against a full random team of red ranks but have a hard time going against a 3-4 swf in purple rank just because they have the advantage of coms. I do believe SWF is good because many people like to play with friend but can you guys balance the game around them and give free perks/ advantage to lonely survivor to balance it out?

yeah i would suggest free survivor aura reading to that only solo queue players. but i guess a lot of killer would complain so nvm

• Dr_doom_j2Dr_doom_j2 Member Posts: 869

Your problem is continuing to make this all a personal attack. We're all just playing a semi competitive game here, we all want to win at the end of the day. That isn't always possible for both sides (as much as they seem to balance towards that being the case)

Maybe taking a break will help with some perspective. It helped me alot

• Reborn2020Reborn2020 Member Posts: 1,138

No i mean if killer chase others too but trying to eliminate survivor that has less lifes that sometimes implies as tunneling i believe since there s no other well known term for that around here

ahhh then as a survivor ill just do my best to run away from you while being mindblown why do I deserve this??? hahahahaha

• BananaBlooD95BananaBlooD95 Member Posts: 528

Just give every survivor the same thing: auras, but then buff the killer in other ways to make it fair.

• HellDescentHellDescent Member Posts: 4,505

It is. But killers complain not because they can't create pressure, but because they don't want to resort to unfun tactics. That's why there is more tunneling and slugging since ruin change. Killers always had the option to kill off 1 person quickly, even make them suicide or dc they just didn't resort to it that much.

• gibblywibblywoogibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,773

I dont tunnel. I do pretty well. Ill slug an unlucky survivor but I wont hook them twice in a row. Free map pressure especially if the unhooker is within chasing range.