Home Discussions General Discussions

How to punish camping?

Nazeef13Nazeef13 Member Posts: 286

I've been having trouble punishing campers/tunnelers after the last few updates.

Dedicated servers make it impossible to fake hooks to force a hit instead of a grab. You get grabbed even if you let go of the hook before the killer reacts.

Due to the bug where people would hide inside of a hooked survivor, they removed "hook phasing" to fake a hit on the hooked survivor.

Gens are not popping as quick with the toolbox nerf. So camping isn't as much of a time waster as it used to be.

I'm a good survivor, but I really feel powerless against proxy campers. It really feels like the best strategy to secure a 2-3k.

Anyone have tips to help survivors who face campers?

Comments

• DeshDesh Member Posts: 621

2-3k is a the preferred balance compared to an outright 4k. If you haven't completed 3 Gens when you know the Killer is camping on a hook that takes 2 full minutes for them to be sacrificed, that is on you.

• dhealy646dhealy646 Member Posts: 463

A survivor takes 2 minutes to die from Hook all the way to death. Run kindred to tell you and your team mates the killer is camping. All 3 of you can finish all 5 gens in 2 minutes assuming there even is 5 left. I'm a killer main but I despise camping. It's a free kill and you get nothing else. You ruin the game for yourself and the person you camped if you camp. You will get no points depip and get one kill. There is no point.

• NuclearBurritoNuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,005

rule number 1:

DO NOT TRY TO SAVE IN THE KILLERS FACE

People doing that is the whole reason why Killers camp in the first place. You will be playing right into their hands.

Go do gens, cleanse totems, heal up or whatever.

• elvangulleyelvangulley Member Posts: 569

This when i play doctor after i hook i always static blast before leaving and sure enough theres 3 people gitting hit but killers are supposed to slowly wander to the side of the map and count to 60 so survivors can get their free save and have fun

• IvaldiIvaldi Member Posts: 425

You blame the other survivors for not doing gens.. but at the same time, maybe they care about the other player whos being camped? Maybe they actually want said player to be able to play the game? Face camping is completely toxic and a selfish act by killers.

• elvangulleyelvangulley Member Posts: 569

Survivors constantly begging for killer nerfs and always bringing up player fun killer. Ever get mentioned is toxic and selfish

If you want the Survivor to be able to play the game then get on the damn gens. So long as you are going for the save the Killer has no reason to leave, so give him a reason to leave.

• TatariuTatariu Member Posts: 580

Just do gens. The reason why camping works is because some survivors stop doing the objective, and sit near the hook with the killer.

A camper is going to camp regardless of what you're doing... even if you do Gens, the killer isn't going to leave the hook and is ruining the gameplay experience of another player just because they're upset. Killers get salty over the smallest things (A flashlight, pointing at the killer, pallet stuns, ds, being a streamer), so how is it going to fix anything?

• KingFrostKingFrost Member Posts: 895

Do generators, and don't go for the rescue. Whenever I see a killer camping, I do at least two generators by the time the survivor dies on the hook. Their service is apprecaited.

• LALYTHIALALYTHIA Member Posts: 1,657

Anyone who thinks 3 survivors on a map can finish 4+ gens in the time it takes a killer to face camp a survivor to full on death is delusional, does not understand gen rates/efficiency penalty, and probably does not main solo survivor.

Those three people are not communicating. Inevitably SOMEONE, if not multiple people, will attempt to save..especially if they don't know the killer is camping yet. So already, by nature - because altruism is an objective - you have AT LEAST half a team off gens during that time trying to meet their objective and save their teammate.

And camping a first hooked survivor to death ruins their game. Inevitably at least one person will try to save right before they die because humans are supposed to have empathy and you want to see your teammate have a chance to play the game and not depip because the Killer is lazy. The rescuer then has to do so at their own peril. So now you have one person on death hook healing or taking another teammate off a gen to heal and try and play the game and another guy hooked...that leaves one single person maybe doing a gen...maybe trying to see if they save the freshly hooked guy.

SWF teams can at least coordinate game play, perks, tools, and offerings to make face camping less viable, but most teams aren't full or even partial SWF. So slow yalls role on how A) face camping a first hook to complete death is an acceptable play style. Its toxic and super inconsiderate to that player. Not to mention ignores objectives on both sides of the fence and hinders pt/pip gain. B) that gens can magically all be done within 2 minutes. A couple gens - sure, if people focus them...3-5, unlikely in the vast majority of matches, especially with random players.

@Nazeef13 I personally tend to run BT and DS so that I can try and at least replace the hooked survivor and get away if someone saves me and I get tunneled (which is pretty typical). In a random group, that's all you can really do. 🤷 I don't run kindred because I like to run at least one perk I actually want - not just what we're forced to have to stave of [BAD WORD] killer behavior.

• HuffHuff Member Posts: 1,096

If you ask me, there's not a whole lot you can even do sometimes. Mostly would involve just either making a premade group so you can just punish the hell out of somebody dumb enough to do stuff like that, or always run Kindred and BT maybe. Those are the only two reliable ways I could think to reliably punish that stuff.

• KebekKebek Member Posts: 1,261

By not beiing a potato that gets caught at 5 gens, doesn't even wave hands to notify of the camper and then allowing the feeding of the camping killer insted of doing gens ?

Seriously, even if it's not fun you can't ask for any real significant nerf to camping since it's part of normal killer gameplay to defend his hooks in any way he wants. It's like asking to make entity down survivors who finish gens since it's not fun to get gen rushed.

• LirulinielLiruliniel Member Posts: 2,863

Borrowed Time and Dead Hard. Take a hit, BT them out and immediately DH letting the survivor have BT proc. Now proceed to bail. Killer gets 2 hits, and you have a safe unhook.

• WheresTheGateWheresTheGate Member Posts: 132

You would think this piece of information you just shared would be common sense. If you want to punish camping don't reward the behavior. Yet 75% of survivors feel they have an obligation to perform unsafe hook removals when a killer camps. Guess what? That is the opposite of punishing them for doing it. You are rewarding them with an easy kill. If you want to punish a camping killer you must be willing to do 2 things:

• 1) Don't remove someone else from the hook when the killer is camping, even if that means they die.
    • 2) If you are the one on the hook be willing to struggle until the very end and then die. This gives the other survivors a chance to knock out 2 or 3 generators.

If survivors were capable of understanding that you would see camping cut way back because it wouldn't be a winning strategy. However, it seems most survivors are committed to making camping a winning strategy for killers by playing a losing strategy for themselves.

You have to assume that all actions are done with intent to win. When the assumption is wrong all bets are off and it doesn't matter anyways so you may as well just win.

So when the Killer tries to camp, you execute the counterstrategy and genrush. If you want to punish a strategy you ensure the strategy is as ineffective as possible. Killers won't keep camping if it keeps leading to a 1k.

• GhostofYharnamGhostofYharnam Member Posts: 597

Ds and Bt. Thw campers and tunnelers are the reason people use these peeka. Just like with the gens flying by killers use noed.

• gantesgantes Member Posts: 1,611

Accept that not everyone likes fun, rush gens and leave.

Camping killers are in general insecure about their own ability to find and down survivors. They camp not only because they want to ensure one kill, but because it's an easy way to find and chase altruistic survivors looking for a save. By not giving them that, you increase the chances of them leaving the hook.

And run BT, DS and Unbreakable if possible. Killers complain about these perks a lot, but honestly, they punish camping/tunneling A LOT. A camping/tunnelling killer will waste a lot more time if the unhooked survivor has the BT buff + DS. As long as those "strategies" are prevalent, the perks most killer mains hate will forever be meta.

• TohmoTohmo Member Posts: 242

Drop the teammate and crank gens. The killer will get a 2k if he's lucky, but usually a 1k if your team is not stupid.

• venom12784venom12784 Member Posts: 582

Toxic and selfish? How is that exactly? Wouldn't that be the same as survivors running adrenaline and D's?

• WheresTheGateWheresTheGate Member Posts: 132
    edited March 26

You are so right. I don't understand why is this so hard to understand. Unhooking a camped survivor is compassionate only from a myopic viewpoint. It may work if you are exclusively thinking of only the survivor that is hooked. At the same time if you consider that action is likely going to get both you and the hooked survivor killed quicker you have suddenly made it that much harder for the other 2 survivors to complete gens and escape. In the situation you can congratulate yourself that you unhooked that one survivor. However, that ignores the fact it likely got the whole team killed because you made it that much easier on the killer.

DS is only used because killers decide to Camp/Tunnel.

Is that really all you got out of it?... My point is; if a killer downs a survivor in the first 30 seconds of a match and proceeds to face camp them. (ie, facecamping bubba's)... Now they just ruined an entire match for a player because they chose to play like an ass.. and your only response is "Do Gens!"

Okay cool.. but doing gens doesnt help the person that's stuck sitting on the hook. And what if they're in a SWF? Now they have to wait the entire duration of the match+queue times just to play again.

If they're in a SWF, there's no reason why they can't win because they have communication and know better than to waste all of their time trying to unhook one person who isn't worth throwing a game for. It's nearly understandable for Solos except they have counter perks. The argument is tiresome. There are many perks that counter camping. The camping you speak of, Facecamping bubbas, happens at lower ranks. I've never see it in the red, much less seen rank 1-3 killers do it to me. Does (proxy) camping still happen? Well of course, but there's always a reasoning behind it.

And yes, I will point it out because everything else is just your opinion on someone who camps and clearly has beaten you with that strategy

• TheButcherTheButcher Member Posts: 149
    • Flashlight
    • Borrowed Time
    • Decisive Strike
    • Mettle Of Man
    • Finish Gen's and Leave
  • gantesgantes Member Posts: 1,611
    edited March 26

I mean, for everyone saying "let them die and do gens"... Well, you'll escape playing like that, but how fun do you think it is?

I'd rather not escape than just do gens and leave. "Playing in the most uninteractive and boring manner" as a solution to anything is a design problem, pure and simply.

Also there's nothing more satisfying than having a 4man escape vs a facecamping killer and giving them a piece of your mind in the exit gates. That's the true reason to use flashlights.