Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Hatch Animation; who gets priority?

tippy2k2tippy2k2 Member Posts: 2,163

Just had a game where I cut through all the survivors. I know where the hatch is so I sacrifice Survivor #3 and go right for the Hatch but hey, look who is waiting for me there!

Survivor #4

If I smack them, they just jump through the hatch so that's out.

I tried to close the hatch as soon as it opened but they jumped before I even had an option to close it.

After Googling around, all the answers are from quite a while ago so I don't know how reliable it is so I figured I'd just ask; who gets priority when it comes to the hatch?

It seemed like they did in this case but I realized that I was on the other side of the hatch (so the hatch smacked into me as I was standing there). Had I been on the other side, would I have gotten priority or does the survivor always get priority to jump through and there's nothing I can/could have done about it?

Comments

• RespectfulnancymainRespectfulnancymain Member Posts: 1,816
    edited April 2020

Killer gets priority

• tippy2k2tippy2k2 Member Posts: 2,163

So does it matter which side of the Hatch I'm on then? They were through the Hatch before I even had an option to close the Hatch...

• RaulilloRaulillo Member Posts: 179

I have had the same situation the other day and since the use of servers I think killer doesn't have priority anymore. Depending on who has the fastest connection to the server that's the person who gets the "priority".

Maybe the priority rule is never applied because of latency. I would test it myself but i need 2 people to test this.

As of personal experience it's completely random. I have been told here in a thread that works with priority towards killers but after playing some matches on both sides I think it's not clear how it works. The only thing it works is bodyblock the hatch, if the survivor gets there first, he probably is going to escape.

• sulaimansulaiman Member Posts: 2,145

i think sometimes the killer is just standing in the wrong spot, and he has to move to get the close-hatch-button. If you are aware of your positioning, it usually works, at least for me, and if nothing was changed latly.

• MadLordJackMadLordJack Member Posts: 8,818

Thanks to dedicated servers, survivors have priority. Same as grabs. It needs to happen on both your screen and the survivors screen for you to close the hatch, whereas survivors just need it to happen on their screen. I often have my 'close hatch' animation cancelled, and yet I have never had my 'use hatch' animation cancelled.

BUT, killers can bodyblock the hatch if they stand in the exact centre and the survivor will not get the prompt to use the hatch.

BUT BUT, if a survivor is smart they will remember that the killers hitbox shrinks when they are being impacted by a running survivor for about half a second (to prevent basement bodyblocking) and the survivor can still get out if they are smart.

BUT BUT BUT this requires pretty intimate game knowledge and somewhat precise timing. Still pretty easy compared to basic looping, but at least they worked for it.

BUT BUT BUT BUT can we just get a hatch rework? Please? It's completely random, so either it robs the killer of a kill or robs the survivor of their (usually, at least, unless they get good door spawns) last chance at escaping.

• xenofon13xenofon13 Member Posts: 1,241

Killers have priority. I never got priority over the killer on hatch.

• DzeikorDzeikor Member Posts: 704

I think you have to be on the hatch,everytime I was sitting on a hatch and survivor was waiting there as well,I always had priority.

• YaiPaYaiPa Member Posts: 1,929

it's more like position and priority. most of the times killers get priority because while standing net a corner of the hatch they prevent the action to proc.

• AetherBytesAetherBytes Member Posts: 1,809

Wraith standing on hatch absolutely invisible = Good times!

• ClickyClickyClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

Killer is meant to have priority, unsurprisingly.

• PrettyFaceKatePrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,704
    edited April 2020

If the survivor is standing/laying exactly in the middle of the hatch when it opens, they get priority. Otherwise, the killer gets priority. At least, this has been very consistent for me.

• katoptriskatoptris Member Posts: 1,895

Killer get priority over the hatch. If a killer want to slug the third they can prevent it from ever opening. Only time a survivor get the hatch is when they have a key or they find it first. Regardless of the situation the killer have more time to look for the hatch.

• OwlzeyOwlzey Member Posts: 442

In my experience as survivor, the killer always closes the hatch. I don't even get the prompt if they're standing next to it.