Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Is it time to fix Hawkins?

OrionbashOrionbash Member Posts: 697

I'm noticing that survivors are dc'ing like crazy when they see a Hawkins offering. Its the new mori. Nobody wants to play on it. Which I kinda understand as its the worst map for survivors. I dunno if this is universal for everyone but for me as both killer and survivor its kinda frustrating.

Comments

• haglinghagling Member Posts: 279

how would you fix it? it's one of my favorite maps as survivor or killer tbh, the loops are unique, plenty of line of sight breakers for stealth killers, lots of really fun mindgames with those mini upper floors in heaps of rooms. I love the look too. I only find it problematic on survivor when I'm stuck in an area on the far sides with only unsafe pallets to toss, but that's easily solved by running toward the center.

• OniWantsUrLocationOniWantsUrLocation Member Posts: 372

Hawkins is a weaker survivor map, yes. No shack. No jungle gyms. Most loops (if you can call them that) are unsafe. For some killers this map is also trash. For example I don't like this map when I play Oni, Nurse, Spirit (because there are too many different sounds in it) or Huntress. But this is just my opinion.

• ImmersedNurseImmersedNurse Member Posts: 2,893

This is one of the only maps in game that I very strongly dislike.

While I never disconnect from games, I can see why others might be tempted to on Hawkins. It's so incredibly un-fun for survivors. There's very little opportunities for stealth with the environment being so bright and consisting of open hallways and rooms. In addition to this, all of the pallets are unsafe and just positioned laughably in the killer's favor. I can't think of one window that is actually worth vaulting either. In most cases there are doors right next to the windows so the killer can hit you regardless. And this isn't even factoring in the frustrating amount of one-person generators.

I sincerely hope they rework this map to just be more fun. I can't think of one fun game I've ever had on Hawkins.

• UnicornUnicorn Member Posts: 2,308

Hawkins is absolutely atrocious to play on as Spirit for me.

The loops are so incredibly unsafe and the mindgames are virtually non-existent. There are some pallets and windows that aren't even worth using because the killer can just walk straight around and hit you anyway. The line of sight breakers are generally poor in terms of survivor stealth. The bright white walls and debris make it very hard to blend in and the debris is usually very limited or positioned in areas where you are still very revealed from another angle. Most good killers will just check these spots and see you.

The rooms upstairs aren't really worth using. The doors and windows are positioned so close that if the killer guesses your mindgame right (will you vault or not) you'll get hit anyway.

• ad19970ad19970 Member Posts: 4,758

I actually enjoy Hawkins as you can chain some pallets with each other, which creates new mindgames and therefore makes looping more challenging and interesting. However, it does depend on which doors are open and which aren't, and the map definitely has too many pallets that are completely useless for survivors.

like i said, aim for the center. if you try to stay in the corners or the far sides you're gonna have a rough time, but those middle rooms with the stairs leading to different vaults are incredible for mindgames. if the killer predicts you'll vault and you stand there instead, free time. if the killer follows you, you vault and he has to vault too. free time. do it again, it's all about predicting based on past behavior and conditioning the other team to make a mistake.

i do think it'd be nice if the one pallet room on the second floor had a bit more potential, you're basically finished if you go in there. the whole second floor is a deathtrap against a competent killer if you're not expecting them to come up, but that gen seems to get done pretty quickly anyway.

also! if you have an unsafe pallet in a corner on the first floor, you can turn it into a safer loop by using an open room adjacent to it for more space.

A good killer would never follow a survivor through a vault like that. It's such a waste of the killer's time. The problem is in this situation, the survivor only has two options: vault or don't vault. It's really not about skill, considering that the killer has a 50% chance to predict what you're going to do correctly and hit you. It's just a game of chance until the killer picks correctly.

dunno what else to tell you, I do great there and I'm by no means a looping god. I really think it's just about map awareness. 🤷 

You might do great there but statistically it's the most unsafe survivor map in the game (kill rate: 69.48%). Ideally, a map would have an escape rate of 50% (with 2 survivors escaping and 2 dying). It's clear to see that Hawkin's is far from that.

• matchmakingworksfinematchmakingworksfine Member Posts: 240

Hawkins is my least favorite map because of how terrible the environments are. It's bad for spirit. It's bad for oni. Its terrible for nurse. And its atrocious with billy.