Home Dead by Daylight Forums Share Your Work Media Lounge
We have been investigating cases of distributed denial of services (DDoS) over the last week. We take these reports extremely seriously. We're actively monitoring the situation internally and with our partners to gather as much information as possible and identify trends.

We are terribly sorry to those who have been affected by these attacks- we understand the impact this has on you. We are taking every appropriate measure to ensure the safety of our players.

We encourage our players to report to us any cases of DDoS, as well as any other form of inappropriate or abusive behaviour in the game. In the meantime, we encourage you to stay safe and follow best practices for online safety.

anyone see space coconut new video with xQc's new player experience?

Comments

• PizzamanPizzaman Member Posts: 385
    edited May 2020

Objective: make a video about "New Player Experience" pointing out "frustration" and "issues"

Step 1: Use a video of some other twitch dude with severe anger issues, playing DBD for the first time

Step 2: Fail at your objective because you're using a video of some other twitch dude with severe anger issues

Congratulations on a job well done.

• MaievhMaievh Member Posts: 62

A better tutorial would help new players, the current in-game tutorial is hot garbage.

A good tutorial that would help new players should let the player start a tutorial game with the killer of their choice, the perks of their choice, the items of their choice regardless of owning said killer/perk/item. Let them test them, [BAD WORD] around with them and figure out how [BAD WORD] works.

• BovinityBovinity Member Posts: 1,522

Games with DLC never, ever, ever let you try stuff out like that.

There's no incentive for them to do so. If people are interested in a purchase, they'll buy it eventually anyway. All a "demo" does is let a potential buyer see that they wouldn't actually like it and thus pass on the purchase.

• IkalxIkalx Member Posts: 76

So, is this thread essentially about how Killers need a better tutorial?

And how Perks need to be renamed as Special Abilities, so that new players can understand how large in scope they are and not just "run 15% faster" or "repair 10% quicker"?

• RydogRydog Member Posts: 3,203
    edited May 2020

This + Space Coconut's other video, where his wife is playing Trapper and providing thoughts as a new player, are 100% the kind of feedback the developers should be paying attention to. The latter video suggests things off the cuff like "why would they not put a crosshair on the screen for aiming with Huntress" (coming from an Overwatch sniper player no less), but the devs are off in la-la land with ideas like this. Their direction with this game, especially how information is surfaced and how friendly the UI is, doesn't make sense to any normal person.

• Aven_FallenAven_Fallen Member Posts: 10,425

Thank you very much. Really bad move to cut quite important things out to fit a narrative.

And I have to say - the low Rank Survivor experience is way worse than Killer Experience. As Killer in low Ranks you basically cannot lose a game, because the Survivors run around like headless chickens. Like, I had a friend of mine who started DBD; he had problems with simple things like Skill Checks.

Also, this is important:

"He's basically like every other new player that bitches about the game they don't yet understand. "

I HATE something like that. Claiming a game is unfair when someone is not good at it is simply wrong. If I try out a new game I cannot really [BAD WORD] about how hard or unfair it is, because I dont understand the game yet.

But anyway, thank you for pointing some things out. Really appreciated.

• MadArtilleryMadArtillery Member Posts: 826
    edited May 2020

They really really do need to work on the new player experience. If feels like something they simply don't give a [BAD WORD] about. Even mobas like league have easier new player experiences and those matches are mostly smurfs! Atleast I still had fun as a newbie there. Between the power curve from playtime, vad matchmaking, and the knowledge curve it's hard to imagine many newer players stay. I may like punishing experiences but even I almost quit multiple times abd sometimes still feel it's bit worth it as even 100 hours of gameplay in I'm still at a disadvantage because dbd playtime power curve for perks is something that reaches into the thousands of hours it seems. It's just a wall that feels infinitely high. How most people can be expected to climb everything dbd sets out against them with matchmaking throwing anyone at anyone I have no idea.

Ps. Anyone saying you don't get maxed out perked oppenents on the regular as a newer player is living in a dream world. I started recently enough to know that 90% of my matches from brown, yellow, green were 80-90% fully decked people, often red ranked.

• MaievhMaievh Member Posts: 62

Sure there is games with dlc that do. And pc users at least can even buy, try and refund in games that doesn't. But why should they have to do that?

And no incentive? The incentive is to keep a larger portion of their new players, which in turn improve queues for both new and existing players. I doubt they are seeing DLC money from new players that quit the first day out of frustration.. more likely they see the aforementioned refund.

• BovinityBovinity Member Posts: 1,522

That might make sense to you, and yet...no, games typically won't do that.

If you're interested in...I don't know...Oni, you'll buy Oni and try him. If they let you "demo" him, best case is that you still just buy it, worst case is that you realize you don't like his dash or something and don't buy it.

I've never, ever, ever, seen a game with character or similar DLC let players "try" them.

• White_OwlWhite_Owl Member Posts: 3,475

From this video it seems that new killers get the short end of the stick and frankly I don't like it because it feels like a way to hide the hidden message of killer good/survivor bad which is kinda a constant from a certain killer main.

I remember when I started in 2016 (when the balance was all over the place and survivors could really be invincible) and the experience as survivor was pure hell, while as a killer it was a walk in the woods. I don't think this changed since now survivors are weaker than ever.

The game definetly needs a better, well detailed tutorial, though, and I think we can all agree on that.

• BBQnDemogorgonBBQnDemogorgon Member Posts: 3,592
    edited May 2020

1: Who cares tunneling is part of the game

2: He's a new player no [BAD WORD] the whole post is about how the new player experience is bad.

3&4: New player once again

5: Oh look new player

6&7: Because the survivors ran at him. Nea was the only one playing and she was uncatchable to the *NEW PLAYER*

8: New Player wouldn't know every perk in the game or what caused that. Won't even know what a ds or tunnel is.

9, 10 and 11 all new player again.

The game should be easier for new killers to get into. New survivors are fine as is.

He leaves them out because who cares about tunneling. There are still 3 free survivors doing things

• SylhiriSylhiri Member Posts: 8

I wouldn't put xQc as the example of what new players experience tbh considering he overreacts for views. I've seen how he operates when he played Overwatch, looks about the same here.

• thesuicidefoxthesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,227

Dude you are complaining about a game that was effectively new killer V 3 new survivors and 1 somewhat experienced survivor. Of course it's going to be a [BAD WORD] show for both sides. My point was the video only really showcases the new player experience from killer POV as a means to promote the idea that only new killers are having a bad time, which is patently FALSE in these sorts of games.

• NICK714NICK714 Member Posts: 173

xQc is so toxic man xD

• Warcrafter4Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,586

I have seen more calm streamers have a similar reaction to DBD as xQc even when they are doing calm QA parts of their streams when they can take their time to calm down and think.

Just because someone chooses overreact to every thing doesn't mean they can't get legitimately frustrated shared by others.

I may disagree with how its presented it making the point a bit muddied it doesn't make what its saying untrue.

Also for those saying the killer is doing things wrong: He is a new killer HE DOESN'T KNOW BETTER which is part of the issue at hand.

• metalklokmetalklok Member Posts: 632

"Also for those saying the killer is doing things wrong: He is a new killer HE DOESN'T KNOW BETTER which is part of the issue at hand."

dude i dont understand how others dont understand this. seeing all these people getting upvotes for saying but the killer is trash and playing wrong etc etc. Thats kinda the point

• FlatskullFlatskull Member Posts: 332

"It davalues your time"

While this streamer was complaining about a few things that were entirely on him. I think this one qoute really sums up the core of frustration for either side in DBD. More so for killer but only because of the dynamics of how the matches function.

Looping isn't fun. Chasing is fun and right now the maps are so empty that they have to rely on loops. Blood Lust does not activate quick enough or stay on to cut overly long loops short. Pallets utterly stop a chase unless it's unsafe and all of these things are this way because the maps are empty for survivors.

We can't get rid of boring, mind numbing looping and pallet only maps because there is nothing else to put down on the maps. How many perks are there in this game all together. Then compare them to items...offerings...enviromental hazards...hiding interactables or special interactables-like pallets but don't function as a big stun block- it's disgrtaceful.

DBD needs a MASSIVWE content update for survivors that play to tools, hiding and interactables. Possibly additional objectives goals. Even if those goals are different things survivors can get optionally...BEFORE the gate is open and not after for more blood points.

Survivors time is davalued because m1ing gens is brain dead but it's something you got to do. Both survivors and killer time is davlued because survivor total control of time except in special circumstance means looping is optimal. Takes away from the chase and allows for very minimal plays.

• Aven_FallenAven_Fallen Member Posts: 10,425

Nothing wrong with being bad at a game when you are new. But then at least dont complain.

Actually he wasn't even talking about DS like I originally thought.

He thought Claud had a perk that gave her an extra hit because he hit the Nea on the hook when she went to save.

edited May 2020

"dude i dont understand how others dont understand this. seeing all these people getting upvotes for saying but the killer is trash and playing wrong etc etc. Thats kinda the point"

Because the survivors other than Nea played equally as bad. It's almost like everyone in the room was of equal skill SHOCK and the video was edited to be misleading that he was against a SWF group that was bullying him.

When you have a room full of noobies, there is actually no issue because that is what is supposed to happen. Of course it's going to suck for some players, particularly survivors because the learning curve is a lot steeper for them than for killers, evidenced by the poor Bill that was dead in under a minute from the time he first got found. The Feng and Claud would have died too if the Nea wasn't as good as she was. Replace that Nea with someone equal to any of the other 3, and that was an easy 4k for him. But gosh dern it, the game is so unfair to new killers. [BAD WORD] the new survivors though, no one cares about them.