Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Rank DOES matter

Comments

• RoMainPuppyRoMainPuppy Member Posts: 507

Okay but what Rank are you and your mates? In order to carry her so hard you and your friends had to have the skill the carry her and protect her through your matches. Therefore Rank does correlate to something. Just because some people get boosted to Ranks they're not actually at doesn't mean Rank means nothing. It just means that person's Rank means nothing. If she played long enough to learn the game on her own she might eventually get to Rank 1 by herself. Just because she didn't doesn't mean it means nothing to everyone who did work their way there. SWF or Solo.

• WylesongWylesong Member Posts: 641

IT still takes skill. IF she did not have you to teach her do you think it would have been that easy? If so go a month without helping her and see how she fairs. Let her play solo que with strangers against a Rank 1 killer and then after a month see how she feels. Rank yes does equal time played but it also equals skill because you learn as you play.

Also I am glad she had you to help teach her and play with. Most of us new players have to learn on our own and get to rank whatever with no training wheels. Also I must be playing wrong because I have a little over 1k hours played and never reached further than Rank 8 or 9.

• BillyMain77BillyMain77 Member Posts: 415

The problem is you will have 1 or 2 experienced survivors who will team up with a buddy who just got the game and hes rank 20.

By simply playing with good team mates you can get red ranks no problem. I know cause im guilty of boosting other people up.

I have a friend who isnt good at the game in chases and saves but can do gens, so me and my buddy will run the killer while our potatoes do gens. They started at rank 16 and now their rank 3.

So it is very easy to get boosted up. You can pip up by just doing gens you dont have to have any chase points to pip up. They definitely help but arent required which they should be.

Problem with that is if you get boosted up when you solo que you get ran over because your not experienced enough to play at high levels.

Well you get Red Ranks that do not know how to play because you get fellow Red Ranks power leveling them. Also you are assuming that most Red Ranks suck based on the small portion you have played against.

Self-care can be a okay perk even if you think it is not something a Red Rank should run. Heck maybe they did it on a dare or boredom.

The looking behind them part, can you guarantee for sure they are not looking behind them once in a while? I do not look behind me the entire time because I need to also see what is in front of me.

The looping can be good and sometimes be horrible. I have got trapped in bad situations where looping was almost not possible because I was stuck with a few trees and maybe a rock.

These are all based on your own opinion of what a Red Rank should do.

In solo que I almost NEVER see these second chance perks.

Overall maybe you are having some bad luck with red ranks or maybe you are just that good that you are a god tier but simply this. If rank was no indication then why did they ever use it? Why not place Rank 1's against Rank 20's if they are only players who played a lot but have no skill? Rank means something even if it is time played which equals skill gained.

Thank you and at least you get it. Yes HER rank means nothing but their rank was high enough because their skill was good enough to boost her. I suggested letting her play Solo Que without his help AT ALL and see how she really does. I am sure it would be a whole different world then. Then her true rank would come out.

• MadLordJackMadLordJack Member Posts: 8,815

I don't know where to begin.

You assume (for some reason) that I haven't played a lot of DbD, you clearly don't play a lot of killer or you would see these perks and bait how many game syiu win nsut because of SC, you freely admitted that survivors get carried to red ranks by their team, you think that red ranks shouldn't actually be the best survivors, you ignore the fact that it's not only my experiences I'm basing this on but the collective experiences of red rank players and attempt to claim that I'm being subjective instead of clecting and analysing a large sample size of data and comparing it to my own experiences, you somehow don't ever see the most common perks in the game according not only to the community but to the stats, you attempt to isolate me and tell me that I'm "just having bad luck" instead of acknowledging that you created this post to defend agaisnt the majority opinion (which is backed by plenty of evidence), and you complety ignored the fact that, as I said, the developers themselves literally said ranks don't matter.

You can come up with an answer, or excuse, for everything. But that doesn't mean it's true. You only have to watch a steamer to see how little ranks actually matter.

Not everyone brings BT, not everyone brings UB/DH, not everyone brings DS, also people are bringing all of those exact perks every game? I doubt it. Also: go after the unhooker, slug and make them waste it/bait the dead hard, slug the DS. People might bring self care because they don't trust teammates to heal them. So is everyone running all the meta second chance perks? Or are too many people running Self Care? Which is it?

Also if most people at red suck so hard why do people constantly complain about how hard it is to play killer at those ranks? Are they potatoes or aren't they? Is Red ranks nothing but SWF death squads or everyone is a potato? Some people get to red ranks by playing stealthy, therefore they may not care to learn to loop.

In that case Red Rank for killer ALSO means nothing, even though I would argue that yes playing killer is far harder than playing survivor.

If you honestly think the new MMR, whenever it is "settled" or "fixed" or whatever is going to be better than the ranks we had? You're ######### kidding yourself.

• MadLordJackMadLordJack Member Posts: 8,815

You know that meta perks and SC aren't mutually exclusive? There's 16 survivor perks in a game. And the ones I win the most are the ones where I can exploit a SC moron. Plus, if red ranks are so good then why would someone not trust their teammates to heal them?

And the reason people complain about red ranks is because they aren't actually complaining about red ranks, but the idea of them. Before the MMR system, it was a coin toss as to whether you were getting a full-party SWF that can't loop for shite but stick to gens like glue, or a bunch of confused morons that practically hook themselves. Sure, the concentration gets lower the higher you rank up, but if ranks actually did equal skill then why are they even in red ranks?

And what evidence do you have that the MMR system won't act the exact same as every other MMR system? Right now it's not even performing out of the ordinary. They only just implimented it and they didn't give it time to accurately accrue data, so this is all to be expected.

PS: playing stealthy and playing well aren't the same thing. I know, I'm a stealth player and I'm lazy AF. It was super easy to get to red ranks.

• EuphoricBliss35EuphoricBliss35 Member Posts: 876
    edited August 2020

People misconstrue the meaning of “rank doesn’t matter.” There’s reaching and playing in red ranks...and then there’s being good in red ranks. That’s what the reference means. It’s not “der play a lot and you’ll be rank 1.” It takes skill to reach rank 1. It’s take more skill to play well at rank 1.

and often, what people refer to as being a “potato” is just being caught in a bad spot or greeding. Then there’s people that screw around and don’t take every game seriously. Then there are potatoes

If it sucks so hard as you claim then why is it meta lol? Why are killers that can be looped for 5 gens in red ranks?

The old ranking system wasn't perfect, it was very flawed, but I doubt this one's gonna cut the mustard either.

Dude if you have faith that the dbd team properly accounted for enough variables (and there are many variables to consider: bloodlust, RNG pallet/window/gen/hook spawns, map size, map layout, perks, items, add-ons, offerings. Moris, keys) to give a good and accurate rating on actual skill? Good on you. I don't. I think they're showing it by placing people who practically just bought the game against people with hundreds to thousands of hours.

• TricksTricks Member Posts: 957
    edited August 2020

I know that feel bro and here's my thoughts on how rank should work.

Some overlap in ranks are apparent below but coding rules would apply to filter this out and is the -only- logical solution to the problem.

• Brown and Yellow ranks should only ever be able to be paired together - (ruling out Green, Purple and Red ranks from entering this particular match structure)

• Yellow and Green ranks should only ever be able to be paired together (ruling out Brown, Purple and Red ranks from entering this particular match structure)

• Green and Purple ranks should only ever be able to be paired together (ruling out Brown and Red ranks from entering this particular match structure)

• Purple and Red ranks should only ever be able to be paired together (ruling out Brown, Yellow and Green ranks from entering this particular match structure)

This means that Brown and Yellow ranks (our new player and new potential revenue stream for increased future content development) wont be exposed to the toxicity of higher ranks as follows:

Brown rank will never see a Green, Purple or Red rank

And our mid tier who don't deserve to be exposed to such toxicity either will be excluded as well:

Yellow rank will never see a Purple or Red rank

• Demonl3yDemonl3y Member Posts: 1,416

We didnt played with any other friends.

Me was rank 1.

• Demonl3yDemonl3y Member Posts: 1,416

well when i startet playing DbD some years ago i also got to rank 1 in less than a week in solo queue. Back then i knew almost nothing and died many games and even thought killers were OP but i still got to rank 1 pretty fast because unless you get tunneled or something like that, its really hard to depip.

If depiping was more common i would say rank atleast mean something but not this way.

That's the solution done, and here's the explanation of the psychology behind a high ranked de-rank troll:

The only people who -will- complain about this are Red ranks who want to infect brown, Yellow and Green ranks with their toxicity because they want short wait times of lower ranked matches and easy wins to the detriment of the health, well being and future of their -own- games future.

All because they don't care if new player revenue streams are cut off because the new player base is alienated by being put up against dinosaurs from 2016 who like nothing better than stomping on new players.

I know it's not too intelligent but there you have it, the psychology behind why high ranks are saying "ranks don't mean anything" - they just want to stomp on our low ranked player base who don't yet have the advantage of thousands of hours of experience so they can have short wait times and easy matches regardless of the harmful effect it has on the game.

They are basically trolls destroying the foundations of our game with their "lul gg ez" -butt dance - killer head nodd lame krap.

This particular group of players, not all but almost exclusively red ranks, we don't want them here, we don't need them here so as far as I'm concerned they can rot in their respective high ranked long queue wait times where they cant ruin any new players gaming experience, only that of their own wretched kind.

• DWolfAlphaDWolfAlpha Member Posts: 927

Went up against a rank 20 once with 3 t3 perks, a purple, and an Iridescent add-on. Destroyed us. Average rank of survivors was about 9.

• ClaudetteQLFClaudetteQLF Member Posts: 5

I do agree that the rank does matter, a red/purple rank is obviously gonna have more knowledge about the game than a green/yellow/brown rank.

I've been playing with every sort of survivors since the new MM system and I can tell for sure who is a red/purple rank and who isn't. I had a game 2 days ago where I was paired up with 2 brown ranks and 1 green rank. I've noticed so many things during this single game and it was probably the worst game of my life.

• There was a Claudette who was constantly crouching (yeah I know, most of the Claudettes are doing this no matter what rank) but I really was asking myself if she knew how to run.
    • They barely go for the save. I was chased by the killer for about 2 or 3 minutes, he downed and hooked me but nobody came until I was P2. The killer wasn't even camping me, they just were too scared to come. And if they come, most of the time they unhook the survivor just in front of the killer face. I also noticed that they waste the palettes easily, even when the killer is not around lmao.
    • They didn't know about borrowed time. The killer had NOED, I came back to save the Claudette with my BT but she apparently didn't know that even if she took the hit for me she wouldn't be downed. I died because of that.

I could go on and on with their mistakes, I was a potato survivor too when I started the game so I don't blame them. But yeah I agree, rank does matter. You can easily know if your teammate is a red rank or not when you're playing and beginners shouldn't be paired with red ranks. Even though some red ranks are potatoes too.

I want to believe you but sadly I could say the opposite and without proof it is just words. I could say ME and my friends all Rank 1 BEST META PERKS EVER went against a Rank 1 and time played was a hour on their account and they killed us in 2 minutes.

I mean sorry if it happened and not saying it is not possible. It could be a vet player switching to another platform and farmed enough bp to for some reason max this killer and then play it at rank 20.

I gotta ask at Rank 20 what perks did this killer have and what Iridescent add-on did they have?

I only ask because I cannot assume they had unlocked to many fellow killer perks so they must have had to use very vague perks. I could be wrong.

In the end however yes Rank can make mistakes but it still was not nearly as bad as what we have now.

Yeah I know the feeling. I had a match yesterday where one was following me and would randomly throw the pallet down. I was like ######### WHY?!!!!!!!.......Then doing a gen and had it almost done and they got on it with me and they regressed the gen so damn far by popping it over and over. I pointed to go away and here was the best part they didn't until I left then they left. I let the killer chase me and I got away thinking okay MAYBE the survivor is working on that gen. NOPE I got back to the gen and was working on it again alone and that same survivor came over and started popping it again. I will be honest I did rage quit because at this point the killer found us and I was just tired. I felt like not only was I fighting to stay alive against a Rank 1 killer but my own damn team was out to kill me.

• BigKrazyKagBigKrazyKag Member Posts: 38

It takes some experience to rank up yes. You can't just get to rank 1 easily without knowing what you have to do to pip up. But as a survivor I found out a long time ago that it's just about doing stuff. objectives, altruism and running from the killer. Surviving helps but it's not necessary if you just do enough. I've seen a lot of idiot survivors who are red ranks. Killer ranks however ...... It's a lot of mind gaming and strategy. That's why I prefer survivor. I can relax. It's not as stressful. Also matchmaking is broken. You can be a rank 1 killer and face a team of rank 20 survivors. The opposite is also true. So while the developers may realize it isn't fair for a rank 20 to be facing a rank 1 it clearly isn't being prevented. Also I've seen purple ranks out play red rank players. That alone should be proof enough that ranks can be deceiving. So maybe ranks only matter a little. I would say they're still not a good measure of skill.

• DWolfAlphaDWolfAlpha Member Posts: 927

It was on console, so I couldn't see how long they played. I think it was after the toolbox nerf. My assumption is that they either hadn't played in a while, or they afk'd a bunch to derank.

• solidhexsolidhex Member Posts: 692
    edited August 2020

Rank definitely DOES matter. That doesn't mean that every red rank survivor has the same high skill level, but in average it's much higher than let's say the average green ranks. Of course there are rare cases of boosted-thru-swf red ranks, but those are...rare. It took me some time and experience with the game to get to red ranks, yes you can just rank up by playing a lot, but playing a lot means more experience, which means skill in the end. As i said, not every red rank is a god looper, but they don't have to be. Just do gens, don't go down after 5 sec., that's usually enough to win the game as survivor, if everyone in your team is sticking to this routine ...

i've played with some greens and yellows because of MMR and they hide in a locker because they hear a terror radius, they let you go into second state because they fear the killer is too close...

Everytime i had a sweaty killer match it was usually rank 1s or 2s involved, matches against purple squads were nearly always 4k. Like i said, there are exceptions of very good rank 8s or very bad rank 2s. And of course, you can have a bad game, especially in a game like DBD which has a lot of RNG.

For me, old matchmaking was fine, they just should have implemented a smaller rank range for matchmaking, so that you only play against +/-3 of your own rank. The biggest problem was rank 12s playing against rank 1 death squads. Would have liked to see something like that and see how it goes.

That is to say, i don't hate the new MMR yet and will give it some time. If you really have a working MMR for every single killer, that would be great, also de-ranking is not a problem anymore then. I only have to say that my survivor matches just felt very, very random till now and i've definitely made more than 20 since the introduction.

I know on Switch I can check a persons playtime of the game unless they block their profile. It is possible though that people would depip on purpose which is odd. I mean if you are good at the game why de-pip just to go against new players? How can someone feel good doing that? I mean okay sure you got the 4k kill BUT it took no effort. Yay go you! lol

I am sad to think they will never get this matchmaking system perfect or right but currently it is worst than what it was.

• HuffHuff Member Posts: 1,480

-If you say you have never seen a rank 1 that's bad at the game you're either lying or just have incredible luck. There's plenty of bad rank 1s. So what you are saying here is "simply not true."

-You admit yourself ranking is easy. Just because you yourself never hit rank 1 yet on either side doesn't mean that it's not easy to do.

-As previously mentioned, there are plenty of baddies at rank 1. With this in mind, saying "Rank DOES equal skill" is just straight false. On top of that, a killer can utterly demolish a team in almost no time at all and depip from that. According to your "Rank equals skill" logic, that means that the killer is actually not as good because he's depipping, even though he utterly demolished the team. On the other hand as survivor, a survivor can play in a detrimental way to their team and still pip out of it. That doesn't mean they're good because they rank up more often by playing like that.

I'm not saying it's a great system or even that the matchmaking is good, but there's a good reason that people don't take the rank system seriously. It's a very flawed system and thus trying to base somebody's "skill" off of it will similarly lead to a flawed outcome. Of course if somebody is completely god awful at the game and die within the first 5 seconds every match, then yeah they're going to depip. On the other hand, if somebody plays like a legend every single game they're going to more easily rise to rank 1. The important thing to keep in mind though is that just because those things are true, doesn't mean that rank automatically equals skill. Lower rank players can still be good and high rank players can still be bad. It's just as I said before, basing your opinion off a flawed system like that will give you a similarly flawed opinion. No disrespect or anything, I just disagree very much that "rank equals skill."

• MomentosisMomentosis Member Posts: 822

The people below red ranks are just that much worse. Think of the shittiest red rank and the best purple rank is worse than them. Now think of the shittiest purple rank. They are better than the best yellow rank.

Not always the case as with smurfs and people deranking on purpose/not playing for awhile BUT. It's very obvious to tell when someone's a red, a purple, or lower.

• RoobnusRoobnus Member Posts: 375

I can't believe people still argue about if rank matters or not.

Let me explain this once again:

RANK 1 is the highest rank you can get. That does not mean your skill can't increase any further at that point, SURPRISE! So obviously not every Rank 1 Player has the same skill, you realize that? Not every Rank 1 player is good at looping, some of them are perhaps really good at losing the Killer or staying hidden?

And by now you may have noticed that against certain Killers, certain playstyles are more effective than others, right?

So when you see a "potato" Rank 1 Survivor that can't loop, that Survivor probably is destroying Spirits and Nurses on a regular basis because they don't rely on looping but other playstyles.... While you're in the corner crying about how you can't loop the Nurse. So when I play against a Nurse or Spirit and I see some DS noobs going down in 10 seconds I am the one that thinks "..that's a Rank 1?!?!" because apparently they have no idea how to play against Nurse or Spirit.

Does that mean they are overall unskilled? No. It means they have not yet mastered every aspect of the game and that is the point. Rank 1 DOESN'T mean "MASTERED THE GAME". It means that I am on a level where I can maintain a positive pip / depip ratio against the best Killer players in the game.

It also doesn't mean that it's impossible to face stronger Rank 10s than Rank 1s because ranks are temporary. A Rank 1 can be rank 20 a few months later, that doesn't make this player an actual Rank 20 player. They are STILL Rank 1 players.

So let me explain it like this:

An actual Rank 10 player (someone that has NEVER been higher) is in 99% of cases worse than an unboosted Rank 1 player.

An actual Rank 1 player (someone that has reached R1 without playing SWF) is ALWAYS better than a boosted SWF Rank 1 player.

And THIS is why you see "potatos" in Rank 1. They're either boosted or prefer other playstyles besides the meta, most likely due to boredom.

• Vox_NocturneVox_Nocturne Member Posts: 545

There have been yellow ranks outplaying red ranks that I've seen. There have been green ranks that have juked better than red ranks. The Emblem system has been already slated as a poor measurement, and therefore if it's a poor measurement, then the results it produces (pips/ranks) must also be poor by association.

There are great red ranks, but there are also great and greater purple, green and even yellow that I've come across.

A final point is that everyone balances around a certain skill level they achieve - sometimes exceeding; sometimes falling below that line. But everyone developes an area of skill that can increase or decrease through time.

I hear what you're saying, and if that's how you view things from your experience then that's fine. I can only comment from my experience, which is to say the new system is vastly superior in matchmaking (not without flaws, mind), and that my experience of ranks has in no way proven that ranks show who is a better player.

• Mtom912Mtom912 Member Posts: 741

Ranks matter, to a degree, the argument was that rank 1 didn't mean someone was necessarily good, but I've never seen anyone argue that someone stuck in rank 20-15 wasn't bad, and can be good

• ClaudetteQLFClaudetteQLF Member Posts: 5

Oh yeah, it happened to me too. I don't know why brown ranks are mostly following you the whole game ? Again, I'm not blaming them as we all started somewhere in DBD but I don't get it as why they're paired with red ranks.

Most of them are just scared by the terror radius and just hide in lockers the whole game. They messed up skill checks most of the time, especially when they're healing you lol.

Whenever they hear the terror radius, they tend to run right away from the gen instead of finishing it. How are you supposed to play this game with people who literally started to play a week ago ?

I'm a bit of a paranoid when it comes to the end game, I check every corner of the map to get rid off totems because again, I noticed that they really don't care about them. There was a Ruin Hex Totem and nobody seemed to care enough to look for it and cleanse it. That's why I'm always trying to clean them whenever I see one, you can't trust anyone but yourself!