Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions
We have been investigating cases of distributed denial of services (DDoS) over the last week. We take these reports extremely seriously. We're actively monitoring the situation internally and with our partners to gather as much information as possible and identify trends.

We are terribly sorry to those who have been affected by these attacks- we understand the impact this has on you. We are taking every appropriate measure to ensure the safety of our players.

We encourage our players to report to us any cases of DDoS, as well as any other form of inappropriate or abusive behaviour in the game. In the meantime, we encourage you to stay safe and follow best practices for online safety.

DS isn't even a Top 5 Survivor Perk

RakimSockemRakimSockem Member Posts: 1,264
edited August 2020 in General Discussions

I'll address the DS + Unbreakable towards the end of the thread because I know that's what all the angry people are going to come in here ready to yell about.

edit: tl'dr I can think of multiple perks that I gain a lot from and I control when I use them versus a perk that depends on the killer tunneling me. (I know some people don't read long posts)

I'm starting by addressing the perk itself. We all know what it does because there's endless threads about it. From the time you're unhooked, if the killer picks you up again within 60 seconds, you get a chance to hit a skill check and stun the killer. Cool.

There are many perks I would and DO run over that for a number of reasons. DS depends on the playstyle of the killer and only works if they choose to tunnel you instead of going after the 3 other people on the map. And I don't want to hear about "Well, they're just trying to be efficient and tunneling is a good strategy" because I'm not arguing against that. They're fine strategies (despite being boring for the survivor), but I'm just stating facts. I play killer and I know exactly who was just pulled off a hook recently, how many times each person has been hooked, who is on death hook, who I've never seen. Every killer knows that so when someone chooses to go after the same person again, they know what they're doing and we're just going to call it what it is.

Now that being said, here's perks that are better (imo) that DS because YOU control when you use them.

Borrowed Time - BT has its own set of weaknesses but it can get people out of a LOT of bad situations if you play it correctly. You control when it gets used, not the killer.

Kindred - Damn near indispensable in solo Q. Anytime someone gets hooked, you have knowledge of where your team is and what they are doing, and possibly where the killer is located based on hook is running. If you are on the hook, your team gets that knowledge

We'll Make It - Quick heals off of the hook. Both players are back to what they need to do in what... 8 seconds? Idk the exact time but I know it's short.

Inner Strength - Encourages players to take care of totems which helps prevent NOED and works as a pocket save

For the People - A pretty good anti tunnel perk when you pull someone off a hook and instantly use it. The killer either has to make the choice of commiting to the tunnel which would take 2 hits and possibly a long chase, or going after a fresh target. And most people don't expect it so they usually commit to who freshly unhooked person expecting an easy kill.

Saboteur - Map wide hook knowledge, lets you see where hook deadzones are so you can make sabo plays. My SWF friends consistently see me pull these off at least once or twice every game.

Lithe - If window hitboxes ever get fixed, this allows for a pretty good extended chase that a killer might not be expecting and can extend loops

Hell as much as I think it's trash, I might even run Dead Hard for the same reason as Lithe. Only reason I don't use it is because it fails more often than it works

Comments

• RakimSockemRakimSockem Member Posts: 1,264

Oh sorry, I forgot to address DS + Unbreakable

Sure these two perks have great synergy, but only against people who intend to tunnel and/or slug.

When I play killer, I don't so these 2 perks hardly ever get used with a few exceptions of matches where I was trying to complete a challenge and didn't want the last person to get hatch.

If you go after the other 3 people in the match, they don't get to use either perk and that's 2 slots wasted.

Idk people keep running with that argument that you have to feed into what the survivor is planning. If a survivor is following me and I know they were just unhooked, I still go after my target and hook them first. Then I give the other survivor my attention and I'll either eat their DS so that it's gone, or I'll slug them and go after person C or D and make them waste their unbreakable.

I absolutely love when survivors who are injured stick close to me. I hope that's not your definition of a good team because I consistently get 3ks and 4ks against people like that.

And before you asked, yes I've played in red ranks before and have reached rank 1.

• BrequeBreque Member Posts: 427

If they have 4 minutes of invicibility you are tunneling and campiing HARD

And I should just copy and paste my response to the other guy because I'm tired of this same argument to. No, the killer is not FORCED to respect any perk. I play killer and have played killer in red ranks all the way up to rank 1. I don't have to tunnel to win. Getting a 3k isn't even hard against the majority of teams. Killers who can't disperse pressure and bounce back and forth between survivors just aren't that good, bottom line.

I play primarily Huntress, Myers, Wraith and Doctor and do fine with all of them. This idea that you HAVE to play a certain way because DS and Unbreakable exist is ridiculous and simply untrue. If it were true and I had to, I would never have reached rank 1. It's a choice, not a requirement to play around DS and Unbreakable

• onemindonemind Member Posts: 3,089

While yes are right

but why run sabbo if it get you injured or down

bt can be waited out sometimes

Kindred is meaningless is swf its fair for solo

Well make it is ok

For the people hurts you and ends your chase faster

Innerstrength is fine

why run lithe if you could run deadhard or sprint burst sometimes you cant make it to a window or pallet

Ds gives you 180s of basically invincibility and extends a chase of a minimal of 20s with nothing at all giveing all surivor to do gens

THIS, Also I'm tired of people claiming DS is invincibility, clearly not understanding what the word means. Invincibility would be if you went to swing at the survivor and the entity formed a shield around them to prevent them from taking damage.

You sabo when it's safe to do so and again, it gives you pretty good hook knowledge around the whole map.

I agree Kindred is pointless in a SWF which is why I only mentioned it in terms of solo Q. A perk should be strong on it's own, not because you're on a team and Kindred is strong on it's own.

For the People definitely has a huge down side, I'll give you that. It's a perk you should only run if you're good at looping. But my point was it prevents or at least discourages tunneling and it's instant. You combine it with Inner Strength and you have yourself a pocket heal for when the broken status timer is over.

I prefer Lithe over both Dead Hard and Sprint Burst as far as exhaustion perks are concerned, but all of them are probably better than DS.

DS is only for 60 seconds because it can only be used once a match, not after every hook. Also after the 3rd hook, you'd be dead anyway XD

• BeyondDisbeliefBeyondDisbelief Member Posts: 67

I want to comment that personally I use "For the People" to instant runby pickup someone in a dying state. Using it against an injured person seems like a waste unless I know for a fact the killer would hit them and not me.

• BrequeBreque Member Posts: 427

Killer make good combo because his is good

Survival do a good combo SmAlL Pp BuIlD

• EnlyneEnlyne Member Posts: 429

Tbh it's so tiring to see people saying it gives you InVincIBiliITy, as if you cannot get downed even if you're hit or something.

Just make people use it early it's not that complicated.

• SMitchell8SMitchell8 Member Posts: 2,005

DS and Unbreakable are quite uncommon at mid ranks I find. Most if not all use self care, adrenaline, sprint boost and dead hard.

• ZeidoktorZeidoktor Member Posts: 632
    edited August 2020

Speaking for myself, I use DS because being tunneled is the one thing I hate running into as Survivor. Way I look at it, if the Killer isn't a tunneler, then the worst that happens is I'm at least one perk down for the game, and I'm okay with that. Worst case, the Killer is a tunneler and I can make them pay for it in some small way. For the same reason I run Borrowed Time, and sometimes even Babysitter, to give anyone I rescue the best chance possible.

• JimPickens666JimPickens666 Member Posts: 326

So first of, DS is top 3. Anyone who plays the game knows that. It also IS invincibility but im not even sure i want to explain why and how since maybe you people just really havent figured out it's true value and i don't want to be the one to tell you lol

Second of all though I think back to the Ruin nerf which didn't happen because it was OP, it happened because it was so widely used and unfun to play against. Just food for thought since im assuming "Don't nerf DS" is the point of most people defending it.

Lastly

She's right, tunnel. Ds actually makes tunneling more effective because if you don't tunnel them they can become invincible. once the doors are open. It gives everyone an extra life and chase meaning gens can be rushed more effectively but if its a 4man SWF this is really your only option for counterplay since they probably all have it. And about it not being top 5, sweaty 4man SWF don't run non meta perks lol. Again if you play with the perk you should understand its value, value that no other perk can offer you

• DeshDesh Member Posts: 1,114

So basically from what I got skimming through this... DS isn't a Top 5 Survivor perk... not based on statistics or any factual supporting evidence.. But because YOU consider other perks to be better than DS? I thought you were going to whip out like a chart or something displaying the amount of Survivors you played with/against using DS with X number of matches you participated in to show that it's a hardly used perk.

No. DS is a highly used Meta perk. I myself don't use it, because I run other Metas like Bond / SC / IW / and an optional 4th perk like PTS or something. *Granted, ever since crossplay came out, I noticed console players don't use DS AS much. But I can't tell if it's because I'm playing with more low levels than usual as well since I'm Rank 1.

• ZephanUnboundZephanUnbound Member Posts: 227

I personally don't use DS. Many killers at higher ranks are too scared to try picking you up if they know they hooked you recently anyway. Feels like a wasted perk slot for me personally, especially since I'm somewhat inconsistent at actually hitting the skill check.

• DeshDesh Member Posts: 1,114

No Killer is scared once they see that no one is the obsession. Typically the ones I meet, the minute they see there's no obsession, they have no problem picking you up immediately after your first hook to get you on your second/last.

• AcromioAcromio Member Posts: 1,716

It isn't top 5 because its power is immeasurable.

• redsopine00redsopine00 Member Posts: 905

you left out calm spirit hope iron will selfcare and tec sure SC got a time nurf bit it helps in solo to look after yourself i alway run that calm and iron in my build tec because it takes 8m off a gen meaning you can stealth do a gen with the killer in a nearby chase calm is gonna be used more as it not only counters the docs power to a degree but all screaming no more IF oni slams the new killers perk for the gens anything that makes you scream is counterd meaning you got stealth combine with iron and you can loop or escape a chase even protect a wounded teamate

• SluzzySluzzy Member Posts: 2,223

I would bet my right arm that no perk on either side comes close to the frequency of use of BBQ. The aura read while seems minuscule to most people is huge amount of information for killers. Map awareness is key to guaranteeing a victory. Killer mains have no grounds to discuss why survivors pick the perks they do when they are stuck in a rut picking the same perks every match.