Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

PSA: Object of Obsession is bad

Seriously. Do not run this perk. If you run this perk and complain after about being tunneled, you are literally asking the killer to tunnel you with this perk. This is especially true if versing Ghostface.

Comments

• MeltingPenguinsMeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,435

They are also the ones most likely to just DC the first moment they get a harpoon launched into their sternum.

• notstarboardnotstarboard Member Posts: 3,696

It's bad if you're running it in solo queue and you're not good at wasting the killer's time. if you're really good at wasting the killer's time and running it in SWF, though, it's great.

The other thing to keep in mind is the perk still lights up when they're looking in the direction of a stealth killer. So, they won't know exactly where killers like Ghost Face are, but they'll still know he's within 64 or 72m in the direction they're looking. I'm pretty sure the perk still lights up when you're in a locker too, so you can get free rough reads on the killer if you want even when they're undetectable.

• KingFrostKingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

Yeah, every time I see an object my first thought is "Gotta get them out of the game."

Had an object the other day. They were the ONLY person I killed in that game, but I was satisfied killing them. Then had another one. It was a Laurie, so I figured she was doing her adept. She wasn't, but she was pretty new. She died on her second hook. (I would've probably let her go, just because I thought she was doing her adept, and I was having a pretty easy go of it)

• PipefishPipefish Member Posts: 331

Object of Obsession doesn't even work on all killers anymore. Its far from OP. Although if your the wrong killer and you have someone who is great at this game and toxic RIP 😬

• KaitsjaKaitsja Member Posts: 513

Literally had a game earlier today playing as Ghostface. Seen a David running OoO. After I sacrificed him, he complained about being tunneled. He wasn't even a good looper or anything.

• MrLimonkaMrLimonka Member Posts: 545

Well yeah, if you can't loop well and run OoO, then you're asking to get killed. Shows how unbalanced this perk is - literally a nerf to weaker players and a massive advantage to already good SWFs.. The devs really need to change it.

• SlashstreetboySlashstreetboy Member Posts: 1,811

In other posts there were actually quite a few people than came forward, announcing they were running this perk as a solo player.

It is strong as solo and the most op perk anybody could bring in a swf. Nothing a Killer could bring perkwise comes even remotely close.

You can´t argue that it isn´t op for the whole team to know where/who the Killer is and what the Killer is doing at all times, starting from the first second of the match.

There´s tons of quesitonable complaints on here, like DS (by itself) is overpowered or that NOED has no counter, but to me THIS is the one perk that HAS to be changed asap. I´ve even seen die hard survivor mains admit it´s broken.

It's situationally OP. If you're playing a stealth killer like Ghostface, they don't get an aura read but the killer gets a free read. At yellow ranks, it's not likely to be as detrimental but in purple ranks? You're asking to be taken out early.

Depends. I can´t speak for yellow or purple tbh, but decent survivors will even turn this downside around since the perk icon will still light up, giving away the general position of the Killer despite being "undetectable". The only stealth Killer that can get something out of it is indeed Ghostface, I agree, but on the Flipside there are Killers that get completely annihilated by this perk alone unless the survivors really, really suck.

Freddy, Trapper or Hag come to mind.

• Kind_LemonKind_Lemon Member Posts: 2,559

I run OoO for stealth purposes, and I've only ever seen one survivor (I was playing as killer) do that too (it was a Laurie going for Adept Laurie).

edited September 2020

The only information you get on a stealth killer like GF or Wraith from OoO is an indication that they are looking in your direction within a 72m Radius, assuming you're the obsession. It's like spine chill at that point. Making it work well requires strong map and tile knowledge, and knowing how to juke the killer.

The requirement for the Killer to be looking in the Object´s direction has been changed quite a while back. As of now, to activate the Survivor has to look in the Killer´s direction, so the Killer has no input on the perk whatsoever.

Yet if no one is getting chased and the perk icon keeps lit up in the same direction, it´s safe to assume the undetectable Killer is moving in the Object´s direction, so I agree it can double as a budget Spine chill against stealth Killers.

I agree though that newer/more casual survivors don´t pose much of a threat if they use OoO in this way. The main complaints against Object are more directed at the SWF abuse anyway.

• GodotGodot Member Posts: 806

I don't run Object, but I tried it, and it's very bad. Might be just me and my communication skills sucking a lot, but honestly I don't see the appeal of this perk other than constantly seeing the Killer and the Killer constantly seeing you.

Why use this perk? Seriously? To tell every time the Killer scratches their balls or something?

There's nothing good about this perk, other than to force the Killer to tunnel you and viciously nod their head at you.

For once, I finally agree with the Supreme High Court of Killers. Bad perk, tbh.

• ToxicMyersToxicMyers Member Posts: 1,295

Yeah I ran object yesterday because I wanted to get chased rather than hold m1 all game and I got huntress who tunneled me ate ds and got looped for 5 gens. OoO is only op if it's a small terror radius killer like trashslinger or myers

• KingFrostKingFrost Member Posts: 3,014

Oh yeah, the guy with object I killed the other day? Also had DS and Dead Hard. So killing him was basically my top priority. Probably why I lost that game. But sometimes principles come before winning.

• BossBoss Member, Trusted Posts: 13,578

Well obviously OoO is gonna be worse to some degree against my Wraith.

But i've even been able to use OoO against them during some loops as well.

It probably also requires some bad moves from the Survivor, but having an "All Seeing" - Blood effect has helped me a few times before to land a hit that i might not have otherwise even known about that i could land it.