WHY This Game Will Never Be "Balanced"
One thing that I see a lot of posts saying is that this game will never be in a true state of balance, and yes, I can agree. BUT what I'm going to try and explore here is not at all that the devs are incompetent, but rather that what we have here in Dead by Daylight are two completely SEPARATE GAMES that are technically being forced to work side by side. I'll give you a brief run-down on what I have observed with playing both sides and see if we can all see why both sides will never be satisfied.
- 3rd person Survival Horror.
- More team focused, rather than individual skill. I can run a killer for 3 minutes with no objectives complete or they can be done before a 30 second chase is over.
- Based highly on the information given and how the player acts upon it.
- No difference between Survivor playstyles across characters, outside of very minute points such as skin selection, character models size and character noises
- Two objectives: Complete objective A, or find objective B after team fails.
- First person HUNTING SIMULATOR.
- All about the individual, and their skill within a match. And yes, processing information is a part of that, but the bigger part of killer comes from on the fly decisions and skill in a chase.
- 20+ unique playstyles BEFORE you add perks, or add-ons.
- ONE over-arching objective with secondary objective: Kill all survivors (eventually!) and protect generators (secondary, but to me more important than soooo many other killers think)
Now you combine these two together, and the difficulty in balancing is already apparent. You have two different games, trying to complete against each other to complete totally different objectives within a match. This is part of why my mentality as killer is NOT to just kill survivors, but to STOP THEM from doing theirs.
You then also have the division of the Killer playerbase with having so many unique killers and their own set of problems. Even in the example of the "Stealth" killer family, you have people arguing that Ghostface is a better version of Pig, and that Wraith is possibly the worst killer in the game. THEN they go and argue with Survivors about which side has it worse.
Add the fact that there are people who either A) do not play the other side or B) may play a game for daily rituals but ultimately don't even care about them. This further divides the community and the game's direction because you now have people who argue against a side THEY DON'T EVEN PLAY.
This game isn't just Survivor vs. Killer. Or Community vs. Devs. It's Survivors vs. Trapper vs. Wraith vs. Hillbilly, ect. vs. Devs. And that's before we add the issue of ranks or time played.
bHVR are also just trying to keep the peace as we tear at each other's throats over issues that we ourselves have caused! "Second Chance Meta this", "Camping, Tunnelling and Slugging that". Guess what, both sides forced this upon each other. It's not the devs fault.
The sooner that we all just remember or realise that this is a game that very few of us are making a living off, and playing because we LIKE TO PLAY THE GAME, the better off and happier a community we will be.
Now, if you excuse me, I'm off to scream into the void for another 8 hours.
I'll see you in the Fog.