Home Discussions General Discussions

How would you feel about map alteration power ?

KebekKebek Member Posts: 1,897

Imagine a killer power that can make some major changes to map's gameplay, mainly it's pathing among others.

For example combintation of abilities like building walls, denying certain parts the map (like with toxic gas or something like that), creating new mini-objectives that force survivros to do them (if they fail to then they get some major punishments etc) and things like that.

Do you feel it would be fun to face or just opressive ? I know I'm not giving any specifics but I would like ot know how would people react to a power that can drastically change how maps are played and possibly create a lot of disruption to normal gameplay.

Comments

• riotangelriotangel Member Posts: 176

Personally I'd rather have that than the current balance-breaking momento mori system.

• BlueberryBlueberry Member Posts: 7,363

I think you'd run into some of the same issues and reasons that the moon bouquets were removed. They were removed because it was a lot of extra programming to work every single current map and new map that comes out with those features. Similar to the reason Tinkerer was reworked, it made them have to do a lot of extra programming around all the new addons and killers that came out in the future just for that one perk.

• KebekKebek Member Posts: 1,897

I don't mean it that complex.

More along the lines like you build walls the same way PH does his trails only they have colision and can be broken etc. You release bigger toxic clouds that last longer and have additions effects like clown and maybe spawn some kind of puzzple boxes like pig or something. Things like that but combined into one power.

Nothing that would need major work, only alter already existing assets into new ones that work together with new effects.

• RaptorrotasRaptorrotas Member Posts: 2,109

Got a concept myself for a Jailor or prison warden type of killer.

• Hold M2 to spawn a wall of entity spikes in front of you. The spiked wall segment will try to connect to existing structures within a certain range and spread among it.
    • Pallets and windows will be blocked for a short duration if covered in spikes.
    • The longer you charge the ability, the further away the initial wall segment will spawn.
    • Direct contact with the spiked walls or affected structures will slow down survivors by a small percentage for the duration of contact.

As this isnt a damaging ability, I'd add a secondary ability.

• Hold STRG to bring up a crude map of the trial to place an trap anywhere on it. You can place up to X traps. Theyre invisible or cloaked until triggered.
    • The trap trigger range is over 10m.
    • When triggered, those traps summon a big circle of spike walls around them after a brief delay. These walls stay for a longer duration than those of the primary ability, but can be disabked by disarming the trap.

My concept would add a new debuff called "wounding" which'd injure survivors once it reaches 100%, thos would additionally be applied by touching the entity spikes.

There are many good concepts, many could probably work as they are on paper. But in the end it depends if the game can handle it. In this case the constsntly spawning walls would probably lag a lot.

• WaffleyumboyWaffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,306

I mean Amanda is already in the game so why not.

• RaptorrotasRaptorrotas Member Posts: 2,109

Natural selection 2 has small cysts (look like footballs) that create fledhy/mossyovergrowth around rhem. Non-alien pkayers ger slowed down on that floor.

Same concept could be used in dbd.

"Blight monster killer" throws a cysts that slowly grows into those cankers (those from the blight event). Unless cleanes they will periodically release a poison cloud. Or form paths of scourge between those things, or do other things to spread gooey floor and illness-debuffs.

There are lots of ways to create area denial.

• TAGTAG Member Posts: 7,926

What was the general consensus on that wall-building guy from Identity V?

• dugmandugman Member Posts: 1,274

Generally speaking I think thematically a killer who is an avatar of The Entity would be pretty cool. Basically having him able to passively or actively block pallets or vaults or generators or have entity tendrils reach up to hinder survivors could be pretty cool. Obviously the devil is in the details so to speak but as a broad idea I’d be down for something like that.