Home Dead by Daylight Forums Technical Issues

Frame Stuttering (With Temporary fix answer) ✓

AmbassadorLoliAmbassadorLoli Member Posts: 13
edited September 2018 in Technical Issues

Hey, I'm currently having an issue that only recently started to occur about 2-3 days ago.

My frame rate never drops, and the game runs very smoothly, I play on ultra (and have tried lower to see if it was the cause).

My specs are:
(Nothing overclocked)
i7-8086K
GTX 1080
16GB Ram
Win10 64-bit pro
& Dead by Daylight is on an SSD

Regardless of being in or out of a game, Dead by Daylight has a 1-2 second freeze every couple minutes, I've tried a few fixes, and I've tried disabling V-sync, and NVideas G-sync and neither of these have worked.

I had also verified my files to check for corruption and checked all of my drivers to make sure everything is up to date.

Post edited by AmbassadorLoli on

Comments

• MandyMandy Administrator, Co-ordinator, BHVR Posts: 19,333

Check when you last did a windows update and see if it corresponds timing wise to when the stutters occur - often changes in windows, or updates not being fully completed can cause this micro freeze.

• AmbassadorLoliAmbassadorLoli Member Posts: 13

I had windows update 1803 on the 12th, and another 1803 update today (When I went to check if I was up to date for the game)

Update: I just checked for updates again, and had a few more just download & install. I'll post again in a few whether or not this has resolved my issue.

edited September 2018

The issue still occurs with the latest updates.

Post edited by AmbassadorLoli on

I discovered the issue and a temporary fix for the frame stuttering.

The issue comes with Windows 10 update 1083. It's related to the Standby memory being filled without clearing effectively.

I followed this guide:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7a0763/standby_memory_issue_causing_stutters_on_creators/?utm_source=reddit-android

This guide is a small script that you can add to your automatic tasks to repeat throughout the day that will clear the standby memory every 5 minutes (I set mine to 10)

Since using this I am able to play back in ultra running smoothly.

• Red_DwarfRed_Dwarf Member Posts: 54

Yeah I saw that on Reditt a while back. Didn't work for me at all.

Worked for me like a charm, had to disable avast game mode though, it'll disable any scripts you have running

Thanks for the information on that. I know people have had issues with 1803 (I had it with 1709, but not 1803 for some reason). I will keep that link handy in case.

edited October 2018

The problem (for me anyway) is unique to DBD. Happens in no other game. Restarting Windows seems to help, which would lend credence you would think, to running the memory scrubber script in task scheduler, which I already am. It's certainly not a hardware related issue, as I dual boot Win 7/Win10, and moved my steam folder temporarily over to the Windows 7 partition. Doesn't happen on 7, in fact gaming period on 7 is glorious, compared to the garbage that is Windows 10.

@Red_Dwarf the games that are affected seem to be those that use Unreal Engine, I've seen reports also about Rocket League being affected by it and Battlefield 1 - but I don't play those so I have no personal knowledge on it, there's just a very long thread on the Nvidia forums which gives lists of games that were affected by this and possible fixes however, some fixes don't work for everyone. A lot of people have rolled back their version of Windows 10 to 1607 as that was the last version where these problems didn't occur.

@MandyTalk said:
    @Red_Dwarf the games that are affected seem to be those that use Unreal Engine, I've seen reports also about Rocket League being affected by it and Battlefield 1 - but I don't play those so I have no personal knowledge on it, there's just a very long thread on the Nvidia forums which gives lists of games that were affected by this and possible fixes however, some fixes don't work for everyone. A lot of people have rolled back their version of Windows 10 to 1607 as that was the last version where these problems didn't occur.

Hi @MandyTalk great info, that makes sense.

Redstone 5 is due out any day now, I don't suppose Microsoft is including any meaningful fixes in this latest build of 10, but who knows. I'll wait and see, before rolling back.

• elenaxelenax Member Posts: 3

I faced the similar issue and before game execution i disabled windows updates from services.msc additionally i disable avast background services. And now the gaming experience is as good as it was before

Well I can report the stuttering still happens in this latest update to Windows 10. @elenax that is one of the first things I tried, disabling any unnecessary background processes, including antivirus and windows defender. Didn't help my problem. Perhaps if BHVR updates the Unreal Engine again, that will alleviate the stuttering prob. :'(

• GrannyonAcidGrannyonAcid Member Posts: 476

I was actually about to post about the same kinda problem. Was wondering if mine matched up with yours. I just started playing again. But it's quite possible that I was playing 11 months ago or whenever this started to happening. That reddit thread was posted 11 months ago. So it could be why I had the problem back then and currently do now.

Is it more of an action based frame stutter? Because that has been my issue with DBD for quite sometime. When I play killer for example. I'll swing at a survivor and my screen will freeze up and it'll normally cause me to miss my swing. When I'm playing as a survivor it's normally a generator thing. I'll be on a gen and the skill-check warning will sound and then my game will freeze until I fail the skill-check. It's kind of a horrible thing to play with. It's not bad enough that you can't play the game. But it certainly causes some problems.

The Windows issues began with the release of 1709 which was October 2017, a lot of people had the issue with both that version and the more recently released 1803. Which is why a lot of people refuse to upgrade from the 1607 version, which had none of these issues.

@MandyTalk said:
    The Windows issues began with the release of 1709 which was October 2017, a lot of people had the issue with both that version and the more recently released 1803. Which is why a lot of people refuse to upgrade from the 1607 version, which had none of these issues.

Well I finally bit the bullet, and rolled my system back to the 1607 build. So far everything is perfect, stutter is gone. Think I'll send Microsoft a bill for my time.