More survivor HUD state icons - solution to Solo/SWF balance and camping
I suggested in on general forums some time ago, but I though I'd write in the suggestions forum as well. This is not a suggestion to buff survivors, if it buffs survivors too much, killers can receive a buff in return.
We already have a lot of information on the HUD for survivors: when someone is injured, when someone is hooked, in a dying state, in the dream world, poisoned by Plague etc. There is no need to add new intrusive mechanics like in-game chat or chatwheel, just add more HUD information for survivors, it will fit the game very naturally:
- For every survivor we need to see who is being chased (not just the obsession)
- Add a heartbeat indicator next to every survivor icon, when he can hear the heartbeat (just a beating heart next to survivor icon will do)
- Add a "repairing gen" HUD state to survivors (like, add a toolset icon next to the survivor when he is working on a gen)
- Add an "opening the gates" HUD state icon
- Add a "healing" icon next to a survivor whenever he is healing himself, is being healed by someone or whenever he is healing another survivor
Much more can be added, like "cleansing a totem", if needed.
How it counters camping
In solo games, if someone is hooked and you see on the HUD that all other survivors are working on gens, you go for a save. If other survivors stopped working on gens and you see that they can hear the heartbeat, most likely they are near the hooked survivor, so you continue doing gens. If survivors that went for a save entered the chase state, the killer started chasing them, you go for a save.
How it fixes Solo vs SWF w/o comms vs SWF with comms balance
It's actually pretty obvious. The most common phrases for SWF teams are "the killer is on me, do gens", "I go for a save" etc. All these are replaced by these survivor HUD state icons.
Provided Icons are ready, only minimal coding is required, it can probably be done in 1-2 days and solo players and those who demand a solution to camping will suddenly be satisfied.