Can't see comments from certain members

OrionOrion Member Posts: 6,632

For a while now I've been seeing new comments from certain members on certain threads when I browse the home page, but when I actually open the threads, I can't see the comments. Furthermore, when I open those members' profiles, it's like they've never posted any comments. If I click on "Comments" to the right, I just get a message saying I don't have permission to read their comments. What's up with the forum?

Comments

• DragonredkingDragonredking Member Posts: 622

8-) I guess that if someone flag you enought instead of punishing them for the abuse of flag like the forum said they would, they just make it so you and the guy that keep flagging you can't see each other post.

But thats just a theory without any backup

• KilligmaKilligma Member Posts: 338

Sounds similar to a shadow ban tbh Orion, but still does not explain why you can see some of the comments sometimes, and not others.

• OrionOrion Member Posts: 6,632

@Dragonredking said:
    8-) I guess that if someone flag you enought instead of punishing them for the abuse of flag like the forum said they would, they just make it so you and the guy that keep flagging you can't see each other post.

But thats just a theory without any backup

The problem with that theory is that they reply in my threads as well, but I can't read their comments.

@Killigma said:
    Sounds similar to a shadow ban tbh Orion, but still does not explain why you can see some of the comments sometimes, and not others.

I don't think they do shadow bans, and you're right - it doesn't explain why I can see some comments, but not others.

@Peanits @MandyTalk Can either of you help explain this forum behavior?

• powerbatspowerbats Member Posts: 6,056

Yeah there's a few I've seen as well like that for the past week and i think they asked to be blocked from having certain ppl see their posts. Some are people that didn't handle criticism well it seemed so if they're not flaming/having issues anymore it's fine.

@powerbats said:
    Yeah there's a few I've seen as well like that for the past week and i think they asked to be blocked from having certain ppl see their posts. Some are people that didn't handle criticism well it seemed so if they're not flaming/having issues anymore it's fine.

Several of them are new, and if that were so, they wouldn't be replying in my threads either.

edited September 2018

I tried private browsing and asking two different people - one of whom has never been on the forum - to read a thread in General Discussions that is hidden from me. Both report the same thing - no replies in that thread other than my own, despite the fact that I know the OP has replied to me in that thread. Furthermore, neither can see the thread listed in General Discussions.

My conclusion is that these commenters' comments are being hidden from everyone, for whatever reason.

• OrionQc24OrionQc24 Member Posts: 160
    Tbh this forum is complet crap. It doesn't work properly and even on the mod side it seems to not work as intended.
  • Jack11803Jack11803 Member Posts: 3,843

Two orion’s?

@Jack11803 said:
    Two orion’s?

IKR.

@Orion said:

@Jack11803 said:
    Two orion’s?

IKR.

Yeah I saw that last night early am today and thought you've got a fan.

edited September 2018

@powerbats said:

@Orion said:

@Jack11803 said:
    Two orion’s?

IKR.

Yeah I saw that last night early am today and thought you've got a fan.

It's a common name, and if I'm not mistaken, the Qc means he's from Quebec. It's unlikely I'd have a fan from there.

Hate to bother a community manager with this, but @not_Queen, can you help explain this forum behavior, or at least bring it to the devs' attention?

• not_Queennot_Queen Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 677

@Orion
    Hello!
    We reported this to our forum provider.
    As for the Devs, they don't do forums, Community Management does :)

@not_Queen said:
    @Orion
    Hello!
    We reported this to our forum provider.
    As for the Devs, they don't do forums, Community Management does :)

Thanks for the quick reply. :)
    I was unsure if this fell under your (Community Managers') purview of responsibilities or the mods', hence why I tried to summon them first and was reluctant to summon you. Thanks for setting me straight.

• GeorgeTheGreatGeorgeTheGreat Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2018

What good would a horror game be if the forums cannot be a horror of their own? no?
    That being said all humans live on Earth and it is easy to go from any place to the next.

I can say that tho that it bothers me you would use the name Orion when you do not even glorify Orion the most beautiful of crafted systems with which the One Eye in the Pyramid of Orion contains that many here have and do Worship since it is a great and beautiful device most do not understand the purpose of.

@GeorgeTheGreat said:
    What good would a horror game be if the forums cannot be a horror of their own? no?
    That being said all humans live on Earth and it is easy to go from any place to the next.

I can say that tho that it bothers me you would use the name Orion when you do not even glorify Orion the most beautiful of crafted systems with which the One Eye in the Pyramid of Orion contains that many here have and do Worship since it is a great and beautiful device most do not understand the purpose of.

Orion the Greek mythological figure. The son of fire and son of light. The Earthborn. That is the true Orion. Get out of here with your conspiracy theories or whatever the hell that is.

I've been wondering as well since i get notifications that a poster replied to me yet it says nothing there. Also @not_Queen all of the ones posts I can't see are those that asked to have me blocked from seeing them or them me.

@powerbats said:
    I've been wondering as well since i get notifications that a poster replied to me yet it says nothing there. Also @not_Queen all of the ones posts I can't see are those that asked to have me blocked from seeing them or them me.

I've had new members with the same bug, and people who've never been on this forum report the same problem. It's not anything anyone's doing on purpose.

@not_Queen Any update on this glitch that you can give us?

• aproposapropos Member Posts: 245

@powerbats said:

Each post probably has a unique ID attached to it, and to that, each username related to it by being quoted, or being the OP. When that ID receives activity, any names associated with it will receive a notification of it's activity. However, markdown and html are sort of borked on this forum, especially for nested quotes; everything in html breaks and is left in one big markdown quote. If you leave it, it seems to generate those big white text boxes, which are for plain text, but, most people find those annoying, so they are remedying this themselves by deleting the quotes that are deeper than the first level. Hence you receiving notifications and not seeing yourself mentioned. If you go back and trace a conversation, I bet you will see you are perbobilly quoted at some point.

I don't know whats up, but ive never been able to use the full functionality of html or markdown on this forum. The code behaves like there aren't any real line breaks, so consecutively used tags tend to break one another.

Maybe it has something to do with whatever is tied to the quote levels selected in the user prefs area in relation to the baseline quote level? If the default quote level is missing, or is out of range, it could explain why the html crashes.

edited October 2018

It seems to be affecting me now. This comment is just a test.
    EDIT: Never mind.

Super necro, but this is still happening to various users. @not_Queen, this is a serious forum bug.