Home Polls
We're currently investigating an issue impacting rank resets on all platforms. Thank you for your patience and stay tuned for more info!

Killer mains is camping a good strategy or a bad one

wxnickxwwxnickxw Member Posts: 418

Ok third times the charm

I had a topic about how the devs could address camping if they wanted to but the topic got a little bogged down with killer mains, some posting about how camping isn't a big deal because it's a terrible strategy that doesn't work, some posting about how it's the only way to win.

Anyway long story short I'm curious what most killer mains think,

So to clarify if you think that camping is a great strategy to use to win or if you think it's neccesary to use camping to win then you are in the Neccesary category.

If you think that camping is only a great strategy to use in certain circumstances then YOU ARE IN THE NECESSARY CATEGORY.

If on the otherhand you think camping is a one way ticket to loosing, that it is a poor strategy then you are in the useless category.

YOU CAN NOT BE IN BOTH... don't try to argue that in some cases it is necessary because....then.....you......are.....in.....the.....neccesary.... category.

Seriously how are people having so much trouble with that part, you can be a and not a at the same time.

Killer mains is camping a good strategy or a bad one 72 votes

Neccesary(camping is a great strategy to win with)
48%
FrenziedRoachLiunUKTombstone218TapeKnotDemiurgMrPenguinPulsarGeneralVDBD78bjorksnasCornHubggezbabyNullclinesbrubliMadLordJackRattiusDerZuntorglitchboiHex_LlamaSOMENINJANAME 35 votes
Useless (camping is a bad strategy that will make you loose)
51%
kaeruRainbowPatooieSkeletalEliteDeadeyebasicpitchkickasskielLordRegalYatolLumionestyBigbubbabam270boostedsurvivormainIlliterateGenocideBatGingermanZestyDoritoHeadAmy095PabloLovesMCItzZane_DistortedDreamSiMpSoUp 37 votes

Comments

• NoOneKnowsNovaNoOneKnowsNova Member Posts: 1,206
    edited April 18

Ik you said you cant be in between, but I'm seriously in between. It depends on how the survivors play. If the survivors just do the gens the killers got a 1k, while even one survivor tries to get the save, it could be detrimental to the teams performance (which is one of the many reasons why kindred is a good survivor perk).

Regardless, its unfun for both sides, however there are very few ways to adress it. Also I should specify I'm a 50/50 player.

• TheGannManTheGannMan Member Posts: 1,833

It depends on the situation. There's no reason to do it at the start of the trial because there are gens that will pop if you aren't putting pressure on them. It is necessary at end game if you want to secure a kill. It's about the only option a killer has in that scenario because what else are they supposed to?

• landromatlandromat Member Posts: 929
    edited April 18

It depends. If you hook person in the middle of your 3 gen or there is 2 people in the basement - hell yeah camping is good strategy

• wxnickxwwxnickxw Member Posts: 418

Because in the previous discussion I had a number of killers were trying to derail it by one of two ways. One was to say camping was a terrible strategy that only results in loosing so don't fix it. Others said it was the only way for killers to win so don't fix it.

edited April 18

Then you are in the first category.

• CornHubCornHub Member Posts: 996

You're trying to railroad people into either or option. This game isn't black & white, so both are true

Your definitely the first to go with camping is not a good way to win in any circumstance and not a terrible strategy at the same time. I suppose complete indifference to camping is a fair answer just not a very popular one

• landromatlandromat Member Posts: 929

1st category means camping is viable in any situation, which is not

• FrenziedRoachFrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,346
    edited April 18

Like all strategies, there's a time when to do it and not to do it.

I voted necessary because it's tactically sound to hold position when you know at least 3/4ths of the team isn't doing gens or there just isn't gens to defend.

Both option can not be true. Of you think that you don't understand the language or you don't comprehend basic logic..

If you think camping is nessesary to win in one or more situations you are in category 1. If you don't think camping is ever a good stratbyou are in number 2. How are you having so much trouble with this, if English isn't your first language what do you speak I'll translate it if possible

You think camping is nessesary in certain situation and also think camping is terrible in all situations. Those two views can't be held at the same time

• PulsarPulsar Member Posts: 5,923

If a bad player uses it against bad players, they'll win, making it a good strategy.

If a good player uses it against bad players, they'll win, making it a good strategy.

If a bad player uses it against good players, they'll lose, making it a bad strategy.

If a good player uses it against good players, they'll lose, making it a bad strategy.

Seems like a 50/50 split to me, using a logical analysis of the basic scenario's. It really wouldn't be difficult to add in a 3rd option.

Hey look you said it is a great strategy in certain circumstances...... hey look at the poll it's says quite clearly that if you think camping is a great strategy in certain circumstances then you are in category 1.

Let's try logic here then

If (sometimes) then 1

Sometimes

Therefore 1

Why you had so much trouble with that I don't understand

• PulsarPulsar Member Posts: 5,923

"If on the otherhand you think camping is a one way ticket to loosing, that it is a poor strategy then you are in the useless category."

Because I also believe that.

You've made 4 posts on this already and have, hopefully, gotten the point that people don't like to be forced to pick an option that doesn't accurately reflect their opinions.

Make a 3rd option next time, you'll get a better result.

That's OK if you think using it in certain circumstances is a complete loss, as long as you think it's a complete win in some circumstances then your in category one. See the "if on the otherhand" part you quoted that's why it's there

• yobudddyobuddd Member Posts: 1,799

Some people play to camp. Some people never camp. And then there’s the majority who say “it depends”. In other words, it’s situational. Forcing a firm commitment to “yes” or “no” doesn’t give a clear picture.

Is NOED overpowered or a wasted perk slot? Depends on if the survivors do bones or ever finish all 5 gens.

Is Calm Spirit useful or useless? Depend on if you play against Doctor or not.

Is farming a waste of time? Depends on if you need bloodpoints?

Is camping a way of winning or a way of losing? Yes. Both. Depends on whether survivors feed the camper or not. Depends on if it’s late in the match and the only way to secure a kill. Depends on if the survivors were toxic or normal. It......it depends.

• WarpheadWarphead Member Posts: 186

The correct answer is "It depends on the survivors."

I can get a whole I-love-you squad by camping one of them. If the survivors have clue, I'll hear gens popping as I stand there and lose.

Killers are reactive, survivors decide which strategy is successful. Strategies that work are good strategies, strategies that fail are bad.

• DeadeyeDeadeye Member Posts: 3,183
    Useless (camping is a bad strategy that will make you loose)

Generally a bad idea, you have no pressure at all when you camp. Also all the "depends" answers... you don't know how the survivors play. Of course it is very rewarding for the killer if the team goes for the save at any cost, but you FIRST have to decide to camp and THEN see what's happening. You can't decide to camp as a reaction

• Warcrafter4Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 1,799

The answer is... It depends on what's going on and whom your facing's strategy.

For the good:

Camping against people who have dive bombed every single hook? Camping is a great way of punishing them.

If you have a survivor hooked in a 3 gen? Patrolling of the generators is also in camp range.

Is it end game? Then what else are you exposed to do?

For the bad:

Camping against gen rush squad(2+ toolboxes)? Camping will probably lose you the game if they are good/have even yellow toolboxes.

Camping against a stealth/blendette team? Nope they aren't going to be near you anyways so camping is pointless as they will try to sneak to the generators.

Camping the first hook? Usually not as you don't know what type of team you're facing and if its any team but hook divers/swarmers then you lose.

• WarpheadWarphead Member Posts: 186

I do. When i see three survivors following me to hook, I react by camping. Even if you don't consider that camping, I might camp the next hook because I saw how altruistic the team was playing, so that would be a reaction.

I don't think it's a good strategy unless survivors convince me otherwise, then I react.

The yes or no was designed to find out if there are killers out there who actually belive camping is a useless strategy that never works.

The question was designed so that only that extreme viewpoint would be selected if they went for option two.

I had a number of killers Mains swearing that any camping was a useless by a killer and effectively a guaranteed loss. This was an excuse that they used to try and avoid addressing camping as an issue essentially their claim was that since it's so bad no killer would use it ever so who cares. Although I expected a couple killers to agree the poll is currently close to 50 50 which surprised me.

if you think that camping is situational then you belong in category one I'm not sure why people seem to want to say that it depends without selecting this option as though it would somehow make them less good or something

• glitchboiglitchboi Member Posts: 1,945

Camping is necessary during the EGC.

• MrPenguinMrPenguin Member Posts: 1,011
    edited April 20

"Necessary" is a bit much. It really depends on the survivor team if its even viable. But I'll put that in since taking out the option to camp in the current game environment would most likely be a disaster.

When I think "necessary" I think: it's necessary to tunnel sometimes because you need people out the game and tunneling is the fastest way. Camping is more like a bait tactic to get people to come to you and waste time and it only works against certain teams.

So I can't say its just flat out necessary when it just doesn't work at all against certain survivor teams and can actually hinder you a lot.

A better question would be "Is camping viable" and on that front the answer is "it depends on the survivor team".

• Tombstone218Tombstone218 Member Posts: 259

Sometimes it's necessary, sometimes it's not. Do you have a survivor hooked right next to a high priority gen or partially opened exit gate? Are the other survivors all rushing to the hook only seconds after the initial hook to save right in your face? I'd say camping is a good idea then. Otherwise eh.

• PantlessMyersPantlessMyers Member Posts: 714
    edited April 20

Depends on the situation :) Do it when it makes sense, not when there are 3 other survivors single manning gens miles away

I play both sides and I'm content with camping as it is.

• DerZuntorDerZuntor Member Posts: 269

It completely depends on the situation.