Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions
Reminder for Forum Users, please do not share codes here. This is something that is expressly against the rules of this forum.

DBD has become extremely Pay to Win. We need more ways to earn shards...

wisdomwielderwisdomwielder Member Posts: 327
edited April 2021 in General Discussions

Full disclosure: I have been playing since 2016 and own all of the DLC for this game. I only started getting characters with shards once Oni was released. I feel that I have been complacent and unaware, like a frog in pot of water steadily rising in temperature. Only after recently introducing a few of my friends to this game have I realized just how bad it has gotten...

With the upcoming release of the RE chapter, this game will now have EIGHT chapters and/or paragraphs with characters and or perks totally locked behind a pay wall, out of a total of TWENTY or so total chapters, the total cost of which amounts to $129.80. This, on top of the base $30 price tag of the game amounts to almost $160 ($62 of which is all licensed); an outrageous price for a multiplayer-only game, and that doesn't even include cosmetics or battle passes.

Oh, but Wisdom, I hear you say, you can buy many of those characters with shards! Well exactly how many shards do you need to get all of these "free" characters? 198,000!! And about how long do you need to grind to get these shards? According to the wiki, you will earn about 260 shards per hour (if you constantly get games, but good luck with that), so it will take you upwards of 760 HOURS of JUST playtime to unlock all of the unlockable characters in this game. Every time a new chapter drops on this insane pile of DLC, I am less and less inclined to recommend this game today more of my friends. For anyone who gets into this game now, it is unrealistic to expect to have full access to all characters and perks, especially with the rate at which new content is released. New players will never be able to catch up.

Someone else who plays other video games, please, is this the industry standard now? Am I crazy for thinking that this is getting excessive? How do other games compare when it comes to grind like this? I would love to hear about other people's perspectives and experiences with this and other games. Give me your hot takes...

So how do we fix this without making people have to play this game like it's their second job?

1. Have shard sales for certain characters. — I think this one is a no-brainer. We've had auric cell sales for characters whenever they show up I the tome, why can't we have shard sales? If people had better access to these characters, it could also encourage them to buy the battlepass.

2. Create more proactive ways for players to earn shards. — These can come in the form of daily challenges similar to the blood point dailies, or they could be additional rewards for completing archive challenges in addition to BP and Rift fragments.

3. Add shards to the battlepass. — adding shards to both the free and premium tracts is something everyone would appreciate. It helps the free players, and is a great reward for people who invest in the pass!

Tl;Dr; Game is becoming increasingly bloated with DLC, MTX, Battlepasses, and insane grind. People who jump into the game now are at a severe disadvantage against people who have been playing for years. Mount Grind gets taller and taller every day, and shows no signs of slowing down. Newer players are at a severe disadvantage and are suffocating under a mountain of insurmountable dlc and grind. Its time to give them a chance. And, as an older player who bought everything as it came out, I AM OKAY WITH THIS. Give people a chance BHVR...

What's everyone else's hot take on this?

Addendum:

What I'm trying to point out here is that the insane grind is what is making this game PTW. If you don't want to invest 800 hours of your time grinding to get all the unlockable content in DBD, then GIVE US MONEY. They're using the grind to get more money out of you.

Are there sales for this game? Yes, and that's pretty cool, but God forbid people ever try to earn anything in this game if you don't want to pay money.

Thankfully, survivors have most meta perks available on free characters, and strong killers like nurse are free, but if you want the most optimal build for your killers, you will have to buy multiple, often licensed DLCs to stay competitive. Don't want to spend the money? Wait for 6 months for those perks to pop up in the shrine.

The free track for this game is unrealistic, and getting worse all the time.

Post edited by wisdomwielder on

Comments

• wisdomwielderwisdomwielder Member Posts: 327

I would really like some newer player's perspectives on this.

• Rje52Rje52 Member Posts: 18

Hi, I am newer to the game even though I have enjoyed watching the game since beta. I agree with your statement whole heartedly as I just got my first survivor through iridescent shards. I can understand why they don't make the content easily unlockable and I feel like that is fine because it takes time and money to make the content, however the iridescent shards for a perk compared to killer/survivor is absurd.

The problem with perks compared to survivors and killers is a perk from the shrine of secrets is 2000 shards and a survivor is 9000. To put this into perspective I could get 5 perks from the shrine of secrets for 8000 while if I buy a survivor I only get 3 and at a higher value. I can understand that new survivors are an entirely new character, but I would like to mention, why would I for 3000 shards more, go for a survivor? Killer is somewhat understandable as they have a unique power, but their value is on the higher side too.

I think they should make killers and survivors 6500 shards rather than 9000 so there is a purpose to getting a survivor/killer rather then just buying from the shrine of secrets.

• jakesottojakesotto Member Posts: 201

All of the DLCs are on sale for 50% off a majority of the time and theres also bundles now that you can buy and save even more.

If money is a problem for you, you could also check g2a for either discounted gift cards or DLC codes as well. Just be sure to buy from highly rated sellers like you would on eBay, etc.

• Chilli_man2400Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,297

They should make an ultimate edition of this game where it includes all the DLC

• Mr_KMr_K Member Posts: 7,719

The fact BHVR allows players to obtain DLC content for play time is outside the norm. I'm sure it's justified through selling skins for those characters but I digress. The rate of shards earn seems reasonable to me. As long as you don't spend them on the shrine or shop, a single devotion level will be enough for a DLC.

• twocansofbeantwocansofbean Member Posts: 200
    edited April 2021

This right here ######### the GRIND. I was telling my friends ######### IT, I'd pay for blood points if they'd let me. I don't mind you know 5 dollars for a survivor and a killer. I don't play all the killers. DBD compared to like Valorant where skins is $20+ for one skin. It's not bad. A ######### knife skin can cost 35 dollars

But JESUS I don't want to spend 30+ hours on a killer I don't care about to get one stupid perk. Anyone else talk about how hard it is to earn BP as survivor you earn like half that of killers because you don't survive the whole game.

• twocansofbeantwocansofbean Member Posts: 200

This Right here ######### the grind. I don't mind paying 5 dollar for a survivor and a killer. But ######### me I don't want to play 30+ hours on killer just to get one stupid perk. I'd pay for blood points at this time. The game becomes so unenjoyable during the grind for that one build You're trying to make

What I'm trying to point out here is that the insane grind is what is making this game PTW. If you don't want to invest 800 hours of your time grinding to get all the unlockable content in DBD, then GIVE US MONEY. They're using the grind to get more money out of you.

Are there sales for this game? Yes, and that's pretty cool, but God forbid people ever try to earn anything in this game if you don't want to pay money.

Thankfully, survivors have most meta perks available on free characters, and strong killers like nurse are free, but if you want the most optimal build for your killers, you will have to buy multiple, often licensed DLCs to stay competitive. Don't want to spend the money? Wait for 6 months for those perks to pop up in the shrine.

The free track for this game is unrealistic, and it's getting worse all the time.

• TomskrexTomskrex Member Posts: 142

More ways to earn shard = More stuff will be aurelic cells.

How is this better for players? This is pretty much basic economy..

• MeltingPenguinsMeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,437

Remove the licensed characters, would be a start.

Hear me out:

Licenses consistently have to be renewed, and especially konami and now capcom are absolutely vile when it comes to that. so a lot of money now goes into the licenses

Let the license run out and replace the licensed characters with proxies, respectively remove those that already have (better) proxies altogether.

I know lotsa people would hate it, but it'd allow for cheaper cosmetics and general better stuff.

• kassamellkassamell Member Posts: 101

I am a recent player who started about three weeks ago and already have feng min, and claudette levelled up really high. I honestly dont have the money to simply invest in characters AND the battle pass. I just feel bored of some of the characters I play,obviously wanting to play other characters that cost 500 auric cells and including the cosmetics. Experiencing the game with characters like nancy or laurie would be fun but of course the characters with good perks cost something, which i understand but it gets frustrating as you move up ranks and the perks you have are nothing compared to the builds either the killer/survivors have. Auric cells would be much greatly appreciated in the free passes

• PanicSquidPanicSquid Member Posts: 655

I'm going to take a different approach here, why can I not pay money to get more bloodpoints? I have all the characters unlocked but I want to get all the perks on all of my characters at p3. I am at 600 hours and I still have a long way to go.

That's the definition of pay to win, I. E. Pay to skip the grind. At least the BP grind is universal to everyone, despite how bad it may be.

• notstarboardnotstarboard Member Posts: 3,702

Huntress is a top 3 killer? Hot take!

I agree with you about the survivor meta especially following the DS nerf, but most of the best killer perks are DLC: Pop, Ruin, Undying, BBQ, Thrilling Tremors, STBFL, CI, Infectious Fright, Starstruck, Devour, etc. Most of these can be unlocked with shards eventually after hundreds of hours of grinding of after months or years of waiting on the shrine, but it's still way too hard for new players.

• BeelzeboopBeelzeboop Member Posts: 1,306

Hi, I'm a newer player. Just started halfway through last year, although you wouldn't guess that from my performance and understanding of the mechanics. Anymore.

This game is very much pay to win. I'm about level 50 (I only play an hour a day, sometimes less) and I have only gotten enough shards to buy four perks from the shrine if I wanted to. I've bought one thing from with shards, ever. It was Stridor (yes, I know how stupid that is). If I never spent any shards, I would only have enough to buy one character after one-and-half years.

This is an issue for me, since BHVR doesn't actually fix problems, and instead add perks for new characters. That I would have to buy with money. So that I can actually function.

I'm a Pyramid Head main. I bought PH with cells, because I love Silent Hills. Then I found out that I'm All Ears was nearly essential on him, and I couldn't exactly wait for the Shrine, so I had to buy Ghostface. Way after that I found out it's basically necessary to run either Pop or Ruin as killer, and if I wanted to run Ruin, I would need to run Undying too due to the ######### totem spawns, but Pop doesn't synergize well with Pyramid Head since his power is based around not using hooks.

So, if I want to still be in a world of hurt, but slightly less, I could buy Clown. If I want to essentially have one perk slot, but have a decent time, I would need to buy both Hag and Blight. Or I could wait four years for the Shrine to have the exact perks I need and for me to have enough shards to afford them at coincidentally the exact same time.

And that isn't even mentioning the fact that you start the game with exactly two killers that can actually function without an obscene amount of practice, those being Huntress and Wraith, neither of which are particularly powerful. Huntress just barely falls into the "viable" category, and Wraith just recently entered the "average" tier. And yes, I know that with enough practice literally any killer is viable, but lets be realistic here: what kind of sucker is gonna play Trapper for two years just to learn the ropes, getting stomped by potatoes four out of five times?

So, unless I spend an actually absurd amount of time or a slightly less painful amount of money, I'm going to be way, way, way weaker than I should be given my actual skill level. And I'm absolutely certain BHVR wants it to stay that way.

• LobozeroXLobozeroX Member Posts: 11

This game has not become pay to win... Get outta here with that.

I, too, have been playing since 2016. I own every version of DBD, including Switch lol. I own all of the DLC on 2 consoles, and most of the DLC on the others.

I can survive, or 4k a match without any perks. If you've been playing since 2016, you should be able to, as well.

• TomskrexTomskrex Member Posts: 142

You can do well with basic perks. Concept of pay 2 win is that you need to pay something to win according to its name, you can grind killers without needing to spend a dime besides buying the game.

Is it grindy though? It is. Perks you are talking about are not necessary to win, they just increase your odds, Pop is grindable.

• BeelzeboopBeelzeboop Member Posts: 1,306

Pay to win isn't literally "you have to pay money to be able to win."

What it means is "you have to pay copious sums of money or be at a massive disadvantage."

• shitmanshitman Member Posts: 195

explain why BHVR give us free useless perks in the sanctuary to free killers every week? Type lol, I can pump them for free, why would I buy these perks?

This discussion has been closed.