Home Discussions General Discussions
We're currently investigating an issue impacting rank resets on all platforms. Thank you for your patience and stay tuned for more info!

What do you believe "gen rush" means?

CornMossCornMoss Member Posts: 397

Just had this game as trapper, I had a meg on hook and the other three survivors chose to do gens over getting Meg (was not camping at all btw). She then went onto second state on hook and they saved her last second. They had no toolboxes or perks to speed up generators and the gens were done in less than 4 minutes. In my opinion that is what gen rush is.

Does this seem fair to you? What do you believe gen rush means?

Comments

• LaluziLaluzi Member Posts: 320
    edited May 4

I don't consider survivors coordinating well on gens to be gen rush - that's just playing optimally. In my eyes, gen rush is when all the survivors bring loaded toolboxes/BNPs and pound out the gens faster than you can find them.

Even if they were ignoring their teammate, you had to have gotten unlucky in where you were patrolling if the rest of them were able to do those gens uninterrupted.

• ShamelessPigMainShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,502
    edited May 4

It means "I need to project my own lack of skill onto other people and uses loaded words to make myself feel better about losing a video game."

The objective of survivors is literally to do generators. It's the point of the game. Imagine what would happen if "hook-rushing" was taboo. It's a wholly unreasonable demand to say, "don't do gens, just sit around and do nothing."

Sometimes, it can get frustrating when it feels like the generators are flying, but that's not the survivors' fault. That's their job. It's up to the killer to prevent that, with a fair bit of luck too.

• FlorinFlorin Member Posts: 48

When you play discordance and won’t activate till last gen, cuz 3 survivors are doing solo gens and last one spin pallets.

• Johnny_XManJohnny_XMan Member Posts: 3,730

@Rivyn

Before yes, now if you get stunned with DS, you were tunneling.

• WexlerWendigoWexlerWendigo Member Posts: 129

It’s not really an actual thing, if survivors aren’t being pressured in a chase or to save their team, what else are they supposed to do? Cleanse dull totems?

• CornMossCornMoss Member Posts: 397

I think he means when you hook a survivor, then down and hook them again after hooking some other person. Then in post game chat they say you were tunneling

• piggygooikpiggygooik Member Posts: 337

i think its when you disregard you teammates and only do gens

• GenJockeyNanceGenJockeyNance Member Posts: 92

I think the only real true gen rushing is when there's more than one survivor with toolboxes with all bnps and group up on each gen with maybe Prove Thyself which is freaking annoying but whatever.

Other than that, it's simply your lack of map and gen pressure. I'm guilty of this myself when I play killer sometimes, I'll realize it too late into the game I'm losing, the gens are flying because I'm not giving them any reason to get off. If you hook one person at a time, one gets off the gen and go rescue. The other two have complete freedom. There is no reason for them to get off. Now when there's a teammate hooked, one down and one being chased, obviously the one that's completely safe needs to do some damage control.

Sometimes man, teams just play so optimally.

• skyguysskyguys Member Posts: 47

Ignoring totems, healing, searching chests and unhooking.

Just do the gens and get up outta the trial. Rinse and Repeat for the next one. That's what I consider to be Gen Rushing.

• Warcrafter4Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 1,799

Its when you forsake all other objectives and altruistic actions to hammer out generators.

Mind you this is genuinly the only viable strategy against things like infinite T3 Michael where altruistic actions don't help you all that much if at all and the longer the games goes on for you the worse it gets.

Another example is completely ignoring totems/chest/waiting for the last moment to do a hook save to max out generator completion and thus risking a hook state for generator greed.

• JasixJasix Member Posts: 455

Or they were 4 randoms - and the three safe ones just assumed one of the others would grab the hooked person and stayed on their respective gens. When I play survivor I rarely SWF - and if I am even 25% on a gen when someone gets hooked - I stay on my gen.

• YukiLoidYukiLoid Member Posts: 8

Yesterday, I had a trickster game. It took me approx 15 seconds to find a survivor, and approx 30 seconds to down them. The moment they were hooked, 2 generators popped and I discovered my Hex:Ruin was already destroyed.

Second survivor I hung, another 2 generators went and I was already fighting to keep any generator against 4 players that I could. They had 1 toolbox and Prove thyself, as well as another generator speed increasing perk.

I simply played my best and never stood a chance, I used to be a killer main but am prefering survivor, because games like this are all to frequent and it's highly difficult for me to play against it.

• SlickstylesSlickstyles Member Posts: 379

When you completely ignore EVERY other game mechanic such as healing, hook saving, AND totems to get gens done. Another form of gen rushing is bringing a Brand New Part with prove thyself because it does significantly reduce the time a gen gets done.

• DemoFrogDemoFrog Member Posts: 150

Stealthing around and doing the gens before you can find anyone.

• AltarfAltarf Member Posts: 323

Ignoring everything in favour of being as optimal with gens as possible - exclusively splitting up one to a gen, waiting until the last second to unhook, etc. I don't even mind them doing this so much, I'm more annoyed by the fact there's literally no counterplay to survivors splitting up on gens unless you're getting downs in five seconds or you're playing someone like Blight.

• PredatedPredated Member Posts: 1,151

In my opinion, a genrush is 3 survivors spreading out over 3 gens on purpose and avoiding doing gens together. Even if you are quick enough to find a survivor, down them and hook them, by the time you downed the second survivor, 2 gens are gone and 1 is nearly finished.

To me that's like killers deciding to tunnel a survivor out of the game with 5 gens left.

As for the survivors working on gens while Meg was on the hook, I mean, that's mainly information to me that you were not patrolling gens to find a new survivor. As long as a survivor has no clue what their teammates are doing(aka, no kindred and no survivors getting injured) and they are themselves relatively far away from the hook, they have to assume someone else is going for the save and just keep working on the gen while assuming you're camping.

A game finishing in 4 minutes is not always a genrush. A genrush to me is 3 gens disappearing in 90-ish seconds before I had time to down a second survivor, forcing me to start slugging, camping and tunneling.

• wxnickxwwxnickxw Member Posts: 422

We were talking about the definition of gen rushing in another thread. Seems like the most consistent definition would be survivors who work on gens to thr exclusion of their teammates ie not healing or saving. With the exception that it is not gen rushing to ignore a hooked survivor if another survivor is going to save them. So if all three were ignoring their teammate then they were gen rushing until they went for thr save

• riyasızriyasız Member Posts: 332

the boogeyman i like being brought up to see little tryhards debate to each other about

• MadLordJackMadLordJack Member Posts: 6,506
    edited May 5

Gen rushing is when survivors go into a trial intending to do nothing but gens, well aware that there is no counter to it. The kind of teams that spread out in gens, get the guaranteed 3 in 90, then converge on the last two with Prove Thyself often while leaving a teammate to hang. It's actually really scummy because there is a difference between simply being efficient and straight up doing nothing except generators.

The fact that survivors can be extremely efficient is a game design flaw. The fact that some people abuse this to get the gens done and escape in under 3 minutes with absolutely no input from the killer is honestly the worst thing in this game by far.

• YordsYords Member Posts: 4,345

The rushing of gens.

• MysterynovusMysterynovus Member Posts: 299

Actual gen rush would be Survivors bringing everything that focuses on gens and nothing else. BNP, commodious toolboxes, Prove Thyself, the works, and going out of their way to do nothing but gens.

What most people call gen rush is Survivors being efficient on disgustingly large maps.

• FrenziedRoachFrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,346

A term scrubs use when they are incapable of pressuring survivors off their objective.

Much like scrubs call killers campers or tunnelers instead of doing what's needed to block the killer from their objective

• MasterGritMasterGrit Member Posts: 309

Gen first

Friend & heal later

• MichealMicheal Member Posts: 186

They must of hidden parity well from you and got back on Gene's not giving two Fs about there teammate hate survivers that do that.