Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Boop the snoot, get the gnome! (Not actual instructions)

miketheratguymiketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719
edited May 2021 in General Discussions

So I had a ritual to do with Amanda today and I thought "I always heard about that 'booping the snoot' thing". I don't understand it, I don't know why people do it, I don't know when or why it started, but it sounds like it would be fun to try. This is just gonna be a ritual-focused run, so what the hell.

I started the match, found three survivors around a generator, and when it blew (right when I was approaching), the survivors all went to scatter. But I figured that I'd put the boop to the test and sure enough, as quick as I was to crouch down, one of the fleeing survivors spun in her tracks and booped me. Darn my gentle heart, I thought it was cute. So I went toward the other survivor and she did the same. Outside the shack where this happened, the third survivor saw what happened and joined as well. The remaining survivor - Tapp - was on the run but after a few literally harmless chases I think he finally got it and stopped mid-chase to crouch. We booped and I went along on my way.

Now, I don't know what etiquette says you're supposed to do after the booping - do you then play like normal but go easy? Do you just play the match as you regularly would? All I know is that I now felt a sort of kinship with the survivors and felt that to attack them would be to betray them, so I let them all go. I opened the gate for them but then I realized oh wait, this would be a great opportunity to look for the gnome. So I did, nodding to the survivors as I ran past, and found him within about 30 seconds as they did a couple of extra things and found their way to the gate (this was Autohaven and the gnome wasn't hard to spot once I happened to be in the right general area, which was behind some obstacle tiles where you'd expect a totem to be).

I smashed him and went back to nod at the last leaving survivor. Everyone got points, the survivors got a "win", and I got both the ritual and the gnome. It was a fun little social experiment.

Comments

• DoritoHeadDoritoHead Member Posts: 3,323

What if you put traps on all of their heads and then let them pop the last gen, then opened the exit gate to start EGC and they all had to find a gnome before there head goes kablooey

• miketheratguymiketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

Then I would have felt bad. I think I may not be killer material. XD

• Kate_Main_01Kate_Main_01 Member Posts: 504

Bless your heart! The occasional friendly round is always refreshing and sweet.

I'm still waiting for a Killer who sees a Kate running circles around trees and pinballing around during end game breakdown and doesn't think 'easy hook' and down me. 😭In one of my last rounds the Bubba downed me and started to carry me and I foolishly thought 'he's taking me to gnome!' and didn't struggle. We crossed the entire map and went... To basement. LOL

edited May 2021

Aw, thank you. If you ever want to add me, or just keep an eye out for me, I'm the same "miketheratguy" in-game as I am here on the forums. If I see a Kate going bonkers I'd definitely try to help her out. :)

I honestly enjoy going easy on survivors more than killing them. At most I'll hook them the two times but never a third, nor do I ever let anyone bleed out. I like to just chill and relax with my video games and I find it much more rewarding to "make contact" with the survivors - a challenge in itself - and let them see that I'm not going to sweat them and will allow them to get the escape. I'm in no hurry to max out my characters or anything like that. I like just playing the game. If it's competitive (sometimes even if it's not) and I let them win, we all get good points and they hopefully feel as good about the experience as I did the few times that killers were cool to me. I love sportsmanship, I like to think that the people I let go feel that the community is just a tiny bit less toxic than they thought. :)

What do you play on? I'll definitely send you an invite - especially if I see you in game! 😊

I feel the same way! When I'm going against what is clearly a new Killer and they are struggling I will finish the gens and ensure that all my teammates need to do is leave and then I'll try to guide the Killer to hook me. Or I'll let them get a hit in before I go so that they can at least feel accomplished. I don't know if it helps but I like to think it makes them excited, especially when they get to the after game screen and see that they were unfairly put in a match with someone beyond their rank.

That's very considerate of you, I wish that more people played with that kind of mentality. I'm by no means a great killer, but I'm often okay at holding my own. And I don't know, I just like letting the survivors know that I'm not going to go hard on them. I understand that some wouldn't like that, they'd prefer a serious challenge, but they likely find plenty of those. I think that someone who, for example, will chase and swipe and maybe sometimes hook but otherwise not make a serious attempt to kill them is probably not the type of opponent that they usually face. It's hard to explain, I just feel good doing it. It's sometimes surprising how pleasant the survivors themselves will be as well when they know that you're more than just an anonymous jerk on the other end of the screen. I've gotten the exit gate teabag (I always do. All of us do, lol) only to nod, and then see them stop teabagging and nod back. Like "Oh, the killer is actually a good guy? I'm going to quit messing with him and respect him in return".

I play on the PC and the Switch Lite - mainly on the PC. I'd be happy to game with you, I'm always looking for people who are fans of the "just have fun and be decent to each other" variety.

• LaluziLaluzi Member Posts: 4,356

Hell yeah. Welcome to the Pig side. We have survivors randomly running up to you and gesture spam. Oh, the number of times I've charged straight at someone only for them to crouch and point.

Every Pig has different booping etiquette. I turn nonaggressive to that survivor when booped, and I'll just go completely passive and stop attacking anyone if 3 survivors boop and the last one is scared, but others will play the game normally but spare the booper at the end, or give special treatment to the first or last player to boop them. Decide what you want to do with the friendly survivors and then do it.

I keep trying to help survivors find the gnome, but I'm being extraordinarily unlucky with it - I've only managed to spot the little bastard a few times, so mostly I just end up leading survivors on a merry tour of the map and then hitting them for that speed boost to the gate once things start cutting it close.

Invite sent!

I definitely enjoy those moments when a Killer is obviously showing mercy or trying to express that they feel bad for something. I had a Bubba who recently shook 'no' to me after someone unhooked me right in front of him and then bolted. I just crouched since I knew I was going right back on the hook but he let me go for a bit! It kind of made my night!

Once again I'm finding you to be one of the most enjoyable presences on this forum. I always like reading your posts.

I love Amanda! I loved her in the Saw movies and I love that she's in the game. I enjoy using her when I play killer but again, I just don't play killers that often. I've chosen her more than most of the other available characters though. Today was my first "booping" and again, I couldn't help but find it cute that the meme is apparently known well enough that one of the four characters IMMEDIATELY knew what I was doing, for all she knew I could have been crouching for the dash attack. But nope, she turned right around for the boop, and then survivor 2 and eventually 3 (and, finally, 4) joined the line. It was just neat. How could I kill these people after that?

I DO like playing the game as killer to the extent that I can get some chases, hits and hooks, but as previously mentioned I also go out of my way to leave them alive. No camping, no slugging, and I prefer to open the exit or bring someone to the hatch if possible. Someone's accused me (in general, he was accusing multiple people) of simply making excuses for not being good. I don't need to make excuses, I'm NOT very good as the killer, lol. But still I can more or less hold my own. I just legitimately enjoy being decent when I can, because the couple of killers who went out of their way to be decent to me left a big impression. There's too much hate, negativity and tribalism in this world. If I can make just a tiny, wee little difference in someone's day, make them feel just a bit happy even for a minute in a silly video game, then hey, that makes ME happy.

I guess if someone goes for the boop I'll have to just figure out a way to indicate to them during gameplay that I respect them for their trust and would like to play as normal but in a friendly, not especially aggressive fashion. I'll have to think on that one, lol.

Nice, thank you! I try to play this game every day, at least every couple of days, roughly daytime to evening US Central time. If you ever see me online, feel free to invite me to your game!

That Bubba situation sounds really cool. I've never quite experienced that myself but I've heard of it. Someone here once said that they were brought to the exit by a killer (might actually have been Bubba, coincidentally), but they (the survivor) shook "no" to indicate that Bubba had earned the kill. Bubba shook his head no in response and left.

I said this elsewhere a couple of days ago but it bears repeating: It might sound like flowers and rainbows but what can I say? It's true: I care more about having fun and everyone having a good game than I care about winning.

• GeneralVGeneralV Member Posts: 7,791

This thread is so wholesome that I don't even have words to describe it. If I keep on reading it, I think my Old Freddy main's heart will actually melt.

I knew Freddy had a weakness! All along he just needed someone to be nice!

Indeed! After dealing with so much toxicity, we just want some wholesome moments. All of us need it from time to time.

I may actually just launch a crusade to become the famous "friendly killer" who doesn't actually kill anyone, lol.

This sounds like a very good idea. And if I see you in the Fog during your crusade, I will make sure to meme around and be as friendly as possible. You know, just have some fun :)

• ChiSoxFan11ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,046

As a Pig player who lets anyone who Boops live (no matter what), I fully endorse this thread. 😁

Nice, thank you. :D

So you let them live too? Interesting. Do you then just wander around chasing people, or do you go after anyone who didn't boop, or what? What do you do next? I'm a new booper, lol. And thanks for the compliment. :)

• StarshadwStarshadw Member Posts: 266

Friendly rounds (and that doesn't even necessarily mean don't kill anyone, though that's certainly an extra bonus) are a lovely thing, especially given the levels of toxicity in this game (which have been on the rise for some reason).

From the survivor side, I never expect to be allowed to live if I boop the snoot. Some Pigs will walk away from you after a boop, and I've had some who, after the boop, still stabbed me. laugh But I don't care, I love love LOVE the snoot boop - I like to think that maybe the Killers are getting tired of the Entity's Realm and feel a sense of solidarity with the survivors because of it. I wish there were more ways for the Killer and survivors to interact in actual friendly ways (what I wouldn't give for some sort of Killer "wave" emote in-game. I'm a pretty friendly Killer, and my only purpose is earning bloodpoints. I don't care about getting kills. I can walk out of a match where all four escape and still make 25k+, so why not let the survivors make bloodpoints as well? I'd love to be able to wave goodbye to them at the Exit Gate :)

That's awesome. It's nice to see that there are others who share my enthusiasm for friendly killer play. Like you said, as killer I can get points in other ways so why not let the survivors have a lot of points as well? I don't care about the "loss". In fact if anything it keeps me from the more toxic higher (lower?) ranks. It would definitely be nice to be able to communicate more directly with the survivors during a match. The best I can usually do is nod or kind of pivot my head and body like "over here!" but that usually doesn't register. I also understand a survivor's apprehension to trust the killer (especially when there are more devious players taking advantage of the boop. I don't like violating people's trust like that. I know, it's just a video game and I know, the main goal is to prevent the other side from achieving theirs, but if a player is going to be cool enough to drop their guard and trust me I take that as a sign of respect and it feels good to repay it. As we've all been talking about, it would be nice to lower some of the bitterness and animosity that's been flowing through the community.

• ChiSoxFan11ChiSoxFan11 Member Posts: 1,046

Usually, the boops come at the end of the match when things look lost for a last survivor, lol. But not always. I had an entire team once on the old Game waiting for me downstairs to all Boop (it took me a while to find them -- I thought for a minute I was in a bugged match with no survivors!). When it's a game like that, it turns into a farm fest -- I've even depipped before, because I refuse to kill a Booper. If people are Booping out of the gate and someone else isn't, I still won't kill the holdout -- I don't want to single someone out -- so I eventually am able to convince those wary survivors that they're going to be safe (usually after downing them and letting someone right there rescue them or letting them wiggle off). The only exception is that it's not a "get-out-of-jail-free-card" if you did something toxic earlier in match (I only will really define that as someone who teabags me relentlessly and taunts earlier in the match -- attempting to Boop me when you're going to die doesn't get you off scot free then, lol).

Every Pig plays different -- I just believe you need to be consistent how you treat things in a match and not play it differently from one match to another.

Here's the match clip from the group that waited for me. I have dozens of examples of people who Booped who lived as a result -- I'm just a big softie when it comes to those instances (though it doesn't extend to any other killer I play!).

• LaluziLaluzi Member Posts: 4,356

Aww, thank you so much for saying so! It really means a lot.

While I can play the game as intended... decently enough when there's an achievement or archive on the line (I just had to kill someone asking me for mercy at the exit gates to get Adept Clown last match, and I still feel bad about it), I find I'm just having way more fun when I don't kill anyone and instead play extreme tag with them. I'll get my two hooks on everyone and then just start messing with people - or even earlier, if something funny happens. Everyone gets out, everyone gets a lot of points, and everyone had ample chance to play the game - everyone has a good time, and good vibes all around is what makes me happy. If throwing a match gets me nods and item donations at the exit gate, I'll happily throw the match. And hey, the lack of heavy upwards pipping that comes from rarely getting more than Bronze devout keeps me out of red ranks, where I'm likelier to run into less fun, more competitive survivors. (If friendly survivors at the exit gates make my day, clickers and tbaggers do the opposite.)

I've had some fun nonviolent matches today like so - I played Hag, got Rotten Fields, groaned because the entire map is 'Do you like eyesight? Too bad.', and just decided to spam all my traps in the killer shack and chase away anyone approaching it like a grumpy old homeowner. After about three downs without hooking anyone, the survivors started approaching me. David started getting cute and popping all my traps while I tried to reset them, playing chicken with the angry old lady, and Yui built me a shrine of items (including her white warded purple medkit with gel dressings, which was way too generous!) And I had an adept Clown attempt where I rolled Ormond, immediately decided it was not worth trying seriously on such a large map, and spent the whole game chucking yellow bottles at survivors and watching them panic until they realized what I was doing. Then Feng motioned at me to follow her and the both of us stared up in awe at Felix, who had crowned himself king of the map by glitching up onto one of the rock piles.

Really cool hearing from other Pig enjoyers and how they handle the sacred boop. I love that clip of the secret boop cult. I would have been so confused and anxious not finding anyone by that point in the match, haha. I also try to get the last survivor to join in if most of the survivors have turned the game into a boopfest, because it's not fair for me to single them out and only go after one person - feels way too much like ganging up for comfort. If they won't stop running away, downing them and then dropping them next to the other survivors to heal up is a good way to show that you're not aggressive. The ones that keep running away after that usually just want to leave the match and aren't interested in farming or memeing.

There's been times when I stabbed a survivor trying to boop me because I didn't understand what they were doing in time, and I've picked them up and dropped them until they're back on my feet. I think those are my favorite, because not a single one of them has ever run away when given the chance. They just go straight back to boopery. Pig's my second favorite killer because there's this elaborate agreement around her where both parties have a universal language and cues to initiate, and no matter how many times people go against Piggies that are out for blood, they still try to check to see if the next one has a friend switch on her snoot.

• StarshadwStarshadw Member Posts: 266

Twinsies! I have waaaaaay more fun in matches where it's all about the chases and "tag" than worrying about kills/sacrifices. It's particularly fun for me because I play Plague, so I basically run around vomiting on everyone and whacking them with my censer. LOL

• DabihwowDabihwow Member Posts: 3,409

Good god... thats quite sadistic, I like it hell I love it!

Yep, all this. :)

LOL this too, and I remember that footage. I loved it the first time I saw it. In fact that might actually have been my introduction to the boop. I still don't understand how it became a thing, but I enjoy that it has. I really do think I might just start playing some games that let the survivors win. It's a nice feeling. Though if someone's really asking for it, we'll see what happens. :)

Hey Kate Main, I can't find your invite! Did you send it through Steam or in-game? My blind ass probably just missed it.