Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Can anything be done about hatch campers?

Maybe have the game run a check that sees that the person did literally NOTHING all match but wander around hiding, not doing gens, not cleansing hexes, not doing saves, not doing ANYTHING, only to let the last two or three people die so they could look for and / or camp the hatch?

I didn't used to see this very often but it's happened literally four times today, now twice in a row, and it's really starting to piss me off. If someone is literally contributing nothing to the match, and in fact acting as a deliberate detriment to it, I would be very happy to see this kind of behavior dealt with.

One match it's four of us versus Michael on Crotus Prenn. I start to notice that by the first death it's the same three of us running across each other, healing and saving and trying to do gens. Then it's down to me and one other person plus the mystery player. Then he dies. Then I die. Lo and behold, I spectate and they're just hiding behind trees waiting for the hatch. Thanks Cheryl. Next it's the FIRST time I've seen the Thompson House in weeks, but I can hardly enjoy it because I and two others are the only ones actually moving around and accomplishing anything. It gets down to me, again, and sure enough, after I die I have half a second to spectate before the final person runs from behind a rock or some crap and jumps into the hatch.

Honestly if this becomes a habit I'd be happy to see the hatch eliminated altogether. I'm rapidly becoming fed up with players who are just cowards and screw everyone else the whole game. Why even play?

Comments

• ShapedShaped Member Posts: 5,323

They are punished by emblems.

• MoundshroudMoundshroud Member Posts: 4,460

I suspect part of it is Bill is part of the Rift and there is a specific Rift where someone has to escape by hatch using Left Behind.

• SleepyWilloSleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,130

As bad as hatch is - it solves a bigger problem. Without the hatch the last two survivors would likely do nothing and just hide for the rest of the match...

• miketheratguymiketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

Unless the want to depip. Or are just that stupid type of player that wants a "win" at any cost. The cost in this case being the rest of the team, and even the killer him or herself.

There should be some kind of check and balance system that doesn't allow the hatch to appear unless the last survivor has actually accomplished something in the match. That should be easy enough. I mean sure, there are plenty of times when someone gets out through the hatch after playing the game. You see them running around, you run across them in mutual heals or chases, etc. I've said before that I play stealthy and find it unfair when another player scolds me for "hiding" just because they didn't see me when in fact my score reflects that I participated. Yet when you've got aura perks and see someone just ducking all the time, and slowly moving back and forth between the same general area (unless the killer comes near) and they continue to duck when you or other people nearby need saving, it's obvious that they literally aren't even playing. They're just moving enough to avoid the crows and wait for the hatch.

The one playing as Cheryl pissed me off the most because Michael was going after myself and the other survivor for a good five minutes. She EASILY could have done the one (ONE!) remaining generator and given us all a chance to escape. But no, the selfish coward just sat there on her comfy hatch waiting for us to die. That's so pathetic I hardly have the words.

I don't know about the Bill challenge, both campers were female characters.

Sigh. That's sadly a good point.

Honestly, I try so hard not to take sides in this game. I REALLY do. I hate how much negativity there is in this community. I always try to say "GG" (and to be fair that was the case with at least half a dozen matches in the last hour or two). I've seen killers say it back, if not even first. Yet survivors are the ones who scold other players or mock the killers. And I've been facecamped by killers a few times, yes, but I still defend the practice because that just leaves the other survivors to do gens. A survivor who literally just bails on his or her team, screws everybody else over just because they want the cheap win? It's disgusting. Ruining the game for other players just because you're selfish is such a sleazy way to play.

• HaunterofShadowsHaunterofShadows Member Posts: 3,499

I only look for the hatch when I know were going to die.

I never liked it before when I'd only get it from time to time. It was still insulting - the worst example was when I was on a hook and the other remaining survivor was literally on the floor directly below me, I saw her aura come out of the locker and just strafe back and forth in place until I died - but now that I've gotten it twice in a row I realize just how incredibly cheap it is. Especially the Cheryl that let two teammates (half the crew) be toyed with by Michael for five minutes as she rested comfortably on the other end of the map, knowing full well she could have done ONE generator, the only one we needed, and likely saved us all. Nope, too much work, too much risk. Better to just let everyone else lose and take the win for yourself.

Again, I don't see why there isn't some check that the game does which says "okay, this person has only earned 300 points in this entire match, likely from the "boldness" of hiding behind a different tree when the killer ran by. They've obviously done nothing all game. Not one save, not one heal, not one chase, not one gen, hell - not even one encounter with ANY of the other survivors. No hatch. Seems fair to me.

That I can understand. If I'm one of two people left, and I see that the other person is being chased and is up to their third hooking, I start looking for the hatch. That's just smart. And if I only start looking at that point (which is the only time I do, sometimes not even then) then it shows that I, or whomever else is in the situation, participated until that point. Actually tried to help the other survivors instead of sabotaging them by decreasing their number out of selfish cowardice.

• HaunterofShadowsHaunterofShadows Member Posts: 3,499

yeah 2 dead 2 gens done face camping freddy hooked my teammate. She died so I could get hatch

• glitchboiglitchboi Member Posts: 5,416

The solo queue experience.

• ReinamiReinami Member Posts: 2,439

If it is a bill, its probably because of the rift challenge. Which i agree is dumb but most of the time the challenges require you to not actually play the game.

• 53nation53nation Member Posts: 677

No excuse for her to not finish that last gen. Left behind challenge isn't even an excuse.. she could have just gone right back to hiding once gen popped. Sounds like a wuss.

• AVoiceOfReasonAVoiceOfReason Member Posts: 2,404

If the killer stands on the hatch, slightly towards the front, not only can you not jump in, the killer can still close it. A survivor camping the hatch won't do much if the killer knows where to stand.

• DodgingbearsDodgingbears Member Posts: 252

I have issues when facing new survivors with them hiding, but it is rare I get newer survivors. There are also a plethora of perks that help you track, such as whispers, without hooks or gens being completed. Also be observant, survivors make noise, even moving in the grass ... map knowledge and game sense will help you. I agree it sucks. but its not that big of a deal compared to many other things and it doesnt happen much with experienced players.

Yeah that's the first one that really put me in a bad mood. I didn't notice until halfway through about a 12 minute match that I'd only seen two other people at the same time. When it was down to the other survivor and I being alternately downed, hooked, and rescued by each other, it really did go on for at least 4-5 minutes. Plenty long enough for the person on the other end of the map, who Michael had apparently completely forgotten about or never saw himself, to do the one remaining generator we had left. It was a good back and forth game, and we had a chance. Just one generator. I'm running around, the other player is running around, we're trying to help each other and no doubt wondering what's taking so long, then finally we're both downed and each hooked. As I die first I immediately go to spectate and the idiot is literally just slowly crouching back and forth between various trees and rocks in a ten foot radius until boom, the hatch opens and out she goes.

I don't usually leave rude messages after my matches but this time I couldn't help it. I told them that all they needed to do was ONE generator and we all could have escaped, and that they were a coward and thank you for throwing the game for everyone else.

While I do find that interesting, in this case the survivor was camping the hatch the whole trial, the killer apparently never saw it or was too far away in both instances to catch up. So if the killer is nearby when it opens, THAT would be cool, I would have loved to see that, but nah, they were just hiding all match and then camping the area when they found the hatch.

The Cheryl who screwed the other player and I by not doing one gen was prestiged. That made me even more pissed off. A seasoned player should know better. Or have more integrity.

• Mr_KMr_K Member Posts: 7,704

Are they running Left Behind?

• TheClownIsKingTheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

Just do a gen?

This is what I do upon the rare occurrence of a killer camping Hatch.

Usually popping just one gen is enough to frighten them into closing the Hatch, and getting the game moving again.

• TragicSolitudeTragicSolitude Member Posts: 5,858

It'd be nice if the devs changed the hatch mechanic so that it doesn't spawn at all until either only one survivor is left (in which case it spawns open) or all five gens are done. This would help with hatch campers, and it would fix the problem of multiple survivors escaping with a key without completing all the gens.

I didn't think to look to be honest. They may have been. At least the first one, perhaps. Bill wasn't in the second match if that makes a difference.

Well we were down to just one and Michael had us literally trapped in a corner, he'd go after one of us and then the other whenever one of us got some distance or did an unhook. I mean you're correct, we could have gotten out of there and ran around looking for the last gen, but it was a situation where I (and I can only assume the other good player) figured "there's still that third person off running around, all we have to do is keep the killer busy for a couple of minutes and the exit games will open. They're taking care of it".

That's what's such bullshit about this kind of behavior - when you play as a team, you expect the other people to have your back. I understand that looking out for yourself is a way that someone can choose to play the game, but there's a difference between looking out for yourself and literally just hiding and doing absolutely nothing.

• TheClownIsKingTheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

This is another reason I run Visionary. I don’t trust others to be on gens in those situations.

Same as when killer has a nearly completed gen locked down: “fine, I’ll go and find the furthest one and start on that. If the other survivors manage to finish the other gen, great. But in the meantime I’m making it harder for the killer to keep progress from occurring.”

• bibibib8bibibib8 Member Posts: 844

They already do that most of my match the last 2 survivor hide and wait for the other guy to get caught so the last one can get the hatch

• gibblywibblywoogibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,773

It is pretty disheartening trying to complete the last gen and running the killer only for no gen to ever pop, only to find they camped hatch for the last 4 minutes.

As killer if this happens I try to slug the one actually trying and find the other and give the hatch to the one who actually tried.

• TheStabbiNAngeLTheStabbiNAngeL Member Posts: 1,264
    edited June 2021

There use to be a grabbing mechanic, but I guess trolling is priority number one

• TheStabbiNAngeLTheStabbiNAngeL Member Posts: 1,264

It sucks all the way around, then some killer would stand there and just camp the hatch and grab you everytime.How would they even change the hatch to be actually fair for everyone

• CardgreyCardgrey Member Posts: 1,418

If someone says gg to me I always take it as get gud.

• danielmaster87danielmaster87 Member Posts: 6,521

Then implement a new better endgame mechanic so that doesn't happen.

I initially did as well, that's all I ever knew that acronym to mean. Then someone in the communicty corrected me, and since that time I've traded many "gg"s with people. This was reinforced when I saw "ggwp" and asked a buddy what that means, to which he responded "good game, well played".