Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

The real question is: do we really want a perfect MMR?

124»

Comments

• Ink_EyesInk_Eyes Member Posts: 460

I really wish they had ranked and normal game modes, people who want to play for ''escapes'' and ''win'' can always play ranked and people who play for fun can play normal, a dumb decision for the devs not to do so, kinda frustrating to play solo queue, some people there are so ''chill'' that they disconnect or don't even try to actually escape.

• MoundshroudMoundshroud Member Posts: 4,460

They do have that. As it has been discussed, it is called a Custom Game. :) And people who are so "chill" as you describe are a plague on the game. The ones that disconnect are breaking the rules, and the ones that don't really bother to play are just screwing over their teammates who might actually want to escape. This is why the so called "casual" mode has to be a CUSTOM GAME so that your personal notions of what is desirable isn't being foisted on other people.

• OrionOrion Member Posts: 21,675

People who play for escapes/kills can also play unranked, there's literally nothing keeping them separated except the push of a button. MMR, however, will keep them separate.

• YatolYatol Member Posts: 1,404

Yes I want the MMR system, I having one side stomp the other because of faulty matchmaking is unhealthy, if you don't want to put effort into earning your rank that's fine, stay in brown ranks.

• edgarpoopedgarpoop Member Posts: 5,305
    edited June 2021

Mechanical skill is separate from playstyle intent. For my Nurse for example, I can 4k at 5 gens with a full meta build or literally run only BBQ no add ons, have a decent chill game, and still 4k with everyone having decent BP. Without MMR, a player like myself can queue up and get a decent variety.

With MMR on a killer like Nurse for me, I have only been matched with 3k+ hr squads (over 10k hrs combined). The chill has been completely removed from the game on Nurse for me. That's simply not fun all the time.

What about the players you're killing? Did you ever think about how much fun it was for them to be killed before being able to repair a single gen?

• miketheratguymiketheratguy Member Posts: 2,719

Don't like the randomized matchmaking myself. Not even for myself, but for rank 19 and 20 players who are thrown in my match with red ranks.

The point is, if there IS a ranking system, it should work properly. Otherwise there's no point in having one.

Orion kind of went to the heart of the matter already in his question to you, but I'm going to add my two cents as well. Unless it is a Custom Game, you have no idea what is going through the minds of the people you are playing against. You don't know their intent or their level of skill. What you assume is a "chill" game might be utter misery for them. How is that casual? How is that fun for them? You don't know, and there is no way for you to know.

MMR means you face people appropriate to your level of skill. If you can't measure up to the people it puts you against, your rating will drop until you are facing people appropriate to your level, or at least to the amount of effort you put in. Thus if you choose to play at a lesser level (casual/chill) you will end up, eventually, playing against the people you want. In other words, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. MMR will take care of that for you.

• edgarpoopedgarpoop Member Posts: 5,305

You guys are agreeing with me. Not everyone wants to try hard all the time. By all means, match me against ultra sweats when I feel like playing that way. But some days I just don't feel like going all out. Should I just not load up DbD that day? How is that a solution?

So I lose some games, my MMR goes down, and then I feel like trying my hardest again. Those players won't have fun. I *am* thinking about those players. When I want to sweat, let me queue for that. When I don't want to sweat, let me opt out of it into a separate queue.

• T2KT2K Member Posts: 637

Yeah but still makes no sense. If you have to sweat against those 10k hours survivor teams, mmr works as intented. If you get a good game out of it, you earned your mmr and matchmaking. If its not fun because you dont like to sweat and you play chill, they crush you. Your mmr drops and you will get more relaxing games. Where is that bad?

So btw, if you can have decent chill games while get 4ks, literally without loadout, its not called decent variety, its called bad matchmaking.

And what's stopping you (or someone who's less than well-intentioned) from going into unranked (or equivalent) just to troll the people trying to play casually?

The solution to occasionally playing casually when you usually "try hard" is to accept that you're going to lose. Like OP, you seem to want to play casually, yet still win, which can only happen if you're going up against unskilled opponents.

• TheMadCatTheMadCat Member Posts: 2,118

If we have casual and ranked modes, I think we need different game mode. Because what could prevent sweaty players to go to casual to troll?

I don't know if it's a good exemple, but in Splatoon 2, there are different game modes depending if you go casual or ranked.

I don't know what kind of game modes we could have for both casual and ranked tho. Maybe it'd ask too much work to start with.

Yeah, that is exactly what "I" am saying. If you aren't feeling up to it, don't want to take on that hard challenge, play something else for the day. The fun is in the CHALLENGE. It isn't in the winning, the Blood Points, the Rank. It is in the rollercoaster ride, the outcome in doubt. I don't enjoy any game if it is a blowout. I want to EARN my 4K. If the outcome is evident to me in the first minute, I'm already bored. The challenge is why I play. And if I'm not feeling up to it on a given day, I take a break.

• InsaneCoasterInsaneCoaster Member Posts: 300

In response to your first point; yes, I don't care about dying and I don't mind not escaping every game, but it would be incredibly difficult to have fun and mess around a bit if every single game is challenging.

In response to your second point; I'm not saying I want to play against a poor rank 12 Bubba every other match to bully them to oblivion, but I want there to be some variation in skill. The same goes for playing killer. Sure, I love to have a challenge against a very good team here and there, but if that were every single game, I would not enjoy playing the game at all and would probably play a lot less than I do. Once again, I like challenges and I like comp play, but I don't play DBD to seek high-level play every single game.

• danielmaster87danielmaster87 Member Posts: 6,190

Yes! We want a perfect MMR system! Both sides will not have to sweat to win, because if matches are too hard for you, you get put in lower MMR. That's the whole point. It's not going to specifically affect new players either. They're still figuring out the game, and would probably have lost their first 5-10 matches anyway, so why not have that go towards their MMR placement? The devs have a good thing going with this MMR idea. Don't throw it out because you're scared of change.