Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Is Wraith Really The New Freddy?

Comments

• GwintyGwinty Member Posts: 837

Most people still do not know what to do against a decent Wraith.

He is not bad anymore and can finaly get some action. Survivors can no longer tbag and flashlight clicker him into oblivion and get triggered by that. But he has a descent ammount of counterplay and is still an M1 killer for the most. People just assume he is still the same old Wraith and try to finish a generator while he is uncloaking next to them.

I played a few rounds Wraith just yesterday and most times people try to do exactly the same stuff they did to him befor his buff. Of course they eat hits if they play that cocky way. They need to adjust a bit and then everything will be fine.

I like going against Wraith as a survivor. Playing him gave me enough informations what he can do and what he can not do to counter him. He can lunge around small loops that would be unsafe anyway. Big deal, you should leave those tiles anyway...

• SnowbawlzzzSnowbawlzzz Member Posts: 1,121
    edited July 2021

People unironically called Wraith the worst killer in the game before Tru3 started pointing out his high-level strategies

Now, almost completely unchanged, people are rabid about how supposedly "broken" he is

This community is guided entirely by speculative what-ifs and youtube videos

• AdelooAdeloo Member Posts: 1,448

Well he was a really weak killer before they buffed him. But honestly know he has little counterplay because he can just spam his bell and catch up then get a massive speedboost upon uncloaking, that is the length of the loop the majority of the time. And that is without any addons.

Basically he has the mobility of Billy and the lethality of Bubba, forcing survivors to predrop pallet to avoid getting hit.

• ALostPuppyALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

My only guess is that while the nerf didn't do much in terms of his strength, it did numbers to his enjoyability factor, which also matters a lot despite people desperately trying to say otherwise. Being slowed down everytime you use your power doesn't exactly sound fun nor does it feel in any way good to use, does it? It's the same thing they did to Billy, Pyramid Head and Nurse: their ability changes didn't change how good they were and instead just made them feel like crap to play.

• nursewannabenursewannabe Member Posts: 1,075
    edited July 2021

What enjoyability? He's literally unchanged. Find me anyone who'd seriously say "oh yes these slowdown add-ons are so fun to use, they totally increase the fun factor of this killer 10wise, a total playstyle changer" because those add-ons are the only thing that had any relevant impact on his change

And the slowdown only applies when you hold your snare, not while you charge it. What Freddy just holds the snare instead of insta placing it?

• MunqaxusMunqaxus Member Posts: 2,752

Exactly. Wraith was fine where he was at before the buff. He was a non-skill killer that was a solid C killer. Now he's up there with Spirit, needing some nerfs. A killer that doesn't require a single brain-cell to use should not be this powerful.

• Rework Tier - Nurse
    • Nerf Tier - Spirit, Wraith, Blight
    • A Tier - Freddy, Billy
  • glitchboiglitchboi Member Posts: 5,416

That's also true. It made Freddy even more boring to play as.

• KwekKwek Member Posts: 66

Can anyone of the peeps flooding wraith topics with comments like "Wraith is fine, survivors just need braincells or something" explain how are you actually supposed to play against him? I don't think that's ever been done, and as a killer main who decided to play survivor for challenges in the last few days, i've been encountering that game design travesty in about third of my games. I've seen 4(4!!!) spirits and more than 30 wraiths. Surely if there was some adequate way to counter him on most maps, there wouldn't be so goddamn many wraith gamers, would there?

Completely removing all the restrictions that his power had was bad, just admit it. His power doesn't even need a stealth component anymore, it's just that good. Compare it to poor ghostface's power, it's laughable how much that guy pays for stealth privilege compared to "but he was always so weak, devs plesse make him one of the worst killers to play against " bingy boy.

• BlueFangBlueFang Member Posts: 1,379
    edited July 2021

The way you beat Wraith is you have to pay attention and don't get complacent you don't have the luxury of the terror radius to tell you he's near so you need to pay attention to what's around you have an exit strategy in mind, keep track of the UI so you know what he's up to and most importantly

Don't panic. What gets people with Wraith is what gets people with Myers and Ghostface he comes out of nowhere and messes up whatever plan you had in mind if you keep cool once he's uncloaked and used up that lunge he's nothing but a normal M1 killer.

Don't rely on the terror radius to do all of the heavy lifting, keep alert, keep focused, pay attention to the killer's strategy. Does he like to block pallets, Does he like to uncloak on a particular side, How long does he keep a chase going before cloaking and bothering someone else, what addons is he using? The thing about wraith is it is easy to tell what addons he has on as they affect his bell noise, movement speed, and breaking animation if you figure that out you've got a way into his mind

Always has been

• gibblywibblywoogibblywibblywoo Member Posts: 3,773

I think a lot of people are getting tired of Hit and Run/Speed boost Wraith which can be pretty annoying. But I don't hate him at all.

Yep, same old "just be alert", also known as just bait it out, and some meaningless general quotes like "pay attention to killer's strategy"(actually had a good laugh with this one, thank you). So I guess we known know the counterplay to spirit - just pay attention to her strategy :D

Good try, but wraith's current state is undefendable, sad but true.

• BlueFangBlueFang Member Posts: 1,379
    edited July 2021

I gave you the mindset I've lived by as well as some counter tips from someone who has played Wraith for a bit since 2018. I didn't go into quite as much detail but I think I did "A pretty good job", If you don't want to listen to my advice and shrug it off, that's you. By going immediately to bad faith "Wow you say pay attention to killer strats, guess you could say the same about Spirit XDXD" something tells me you've already projected quite a bit onto me. (As if keeping track of what a player does so you can mindgame em isn't the core of the game)

He's a killer that bypasses the terror radius and has great ease in getting around the map, but in a chase he's still a standard killer. The lack of TR notification is certainly a bother but overcomeable, the Wraith still has to beat you in a chase and while a surprise uncloak may give him the first hit, its up to both of you if that leads to a down or not. Better a dozen wraiths than a single Deathslinger who ALSO has a small terror radius with the addition of a power that utterly breaks the gameplay loop the game is built on

• baseballfan4877baseballfan4877 Member Posts: 364

man once you find a good team that plays against wraith.. you will realize this. It is painful to go against a good team as wraith

• JimbusCrimbusJimbusCrimbus Member Posts: 1,038

So what happened was, a certain popular survivor streamer started whining that "Wraith is the new freddy" and "he's not wholesome anymore".

So the sheep followed and simply use it as an excuse.

I'm sorry, but if a group of survivors, even solos, is getting chiefed on by a WRAITH of all killers, even with his buffs, they may as well uninstall.

• SeraphorSeraphor Member Posts: 4,521

Not if survivors have flashlights.

There's no counter for that. Can't look away, can't decloak quicker than they can lightburn you, it's like a portable, reusable pallet.

• FreeshamFreesham Member Posts: 261
    edited July 2021

What's wrong with a killer being easy and simple to use? You're saying they're only allowed to be good if you have to get a Ph.D. for them?

• Ink_EyesInk_Eyes Member Posts: 504
    edited July 2021

Wraith is one of those characters that people refuse to believe is good because he was so bad for the longest time, the thing is that he has gotten so many small buffs over the years that he is good now, his biggest buff being the fact that most maps that were reworked were basically turned into dead zones and most pallets are now unsafe. He can basically get to your face, uncloak and with his burst of speed he can get a guaranteed free hit almost every time, his speed burst basically lets him do the same with most pallets and TL walls.

A few years back most maps were vastly populated instead of being dead zones, we had lots of windows and safe pallets that basically made his speed burst useless, with all those reworked into tiny unsafe loops and generators that spawn on dead zones his speed burst now makes a difference.

Post edited by Ink_Eyes on

Calling wraith an m1 killer is wrong. Out of all my wraith games this week i've encountered only one wraith that actually chased without cloaking. He got destroyed. If you base your advices on on a non-existant, almost mythical playstyle, then please don't act all defensive when people call them stupid

• GeneralVGeneralV Member Posts: 7,877

Ok, I hope this isn't the actual reason. Because, if it is, then those are the most dumb complaints I've ever seen.

• AdelooAdeloo Member Posts: 1,448
    edited July 2021

i didn't actually know someone that happen to be a streamer is complaining. I'm just complaining on my own little corner ahah

• PirulukPiruluk Member Posts: 553

Not at all.

Survivors experienced the ultimate balance thats Wraith with all seeing+ silent bell, and after 10 game you are master Wraith while survivor have to put 10k+ hours to be able to loop Wraith

• IMhereRUNIMhereRUN Member Posts: 605

Short answer…No.

He’s weaker than his previous version lol

• SnakeSound222SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

Survivors are always going to whine about a random Killer and it’s Wraith’s turn right now. They’re just refusing to adapt to the new Wraith and hoping he’ll be nerfed. Guess he can’t be anything more than a punching bag.

• PirulukPiruluk Member Posts: 553

Yeah Wraith has insane skill ceiling, thats why he so popular, and players like the difficulty.

He is still a punching bag, 10k+ hour survivors can beat it, I think Wraith need to god level, more buff

• Asssblasster625Asssblasster625 Member Posts: 629

Some people don’t want help, or useful tips and counterplay.some just wanna ######### and moan till it gets changed so that they don’t have to do much of anything.

• meatisadelicacymeatisadelicacy Member Posts: 1,920

How do you play against a killer you can't see most of the time, can't hear, and he's so fast you are going to get hit, period? I think they went too far with his buff but oh well. It's not like they'll admit they made a mistake and do anything that would upset killer mains.

• lemonswaylemonsway Member Posts: 1,038

We're still in the Wraith fake Hype train?