Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Does this constitute as targeted harassment?

Basically this nurse hard tunneled first the dwight and then me out of the game and when I asked them why, they answered with "the dwight cuz he is gay". The dwight had "gay" in thier name and wore the gay charm.

Comments

• HaunterofShadowsHaunterofShadows Member Posts: 3,459

yes

• SMitchell8SMitchell8 Member Posts: 2,307

Depends on if he meant Dwight the made up character on a computer game or the human player actually using Dwight.

• TAGTAG Member Posts: 11,901
    edited August 2021

The Dwight comment may have merit as far as harassment. The DS comment not really.

• bibibib8bibibib8 Member Posts: 844

Honestly i think this guy is teying to see how much time for him the get a ban i think he could play 15 game a day say that all the time and he wont get ban for that. I have no trust in the dev or mod or i dont know who check those log XD

• About8GenjisAbout8Genjis Member Posts: 84

I actually do understand that they have tunneled me after I ds'ed them. They have already taken the stun so might as well keep focusing me since that stun danger is now gone, but them tunneling dwight first cause "dwight gay" is... well...

• OrionOrion Member Posts: 21,675

Yes, it is. I hope you reported them.

• SonicOfflineSonicOffline Member Posts: 875

Openly gay male, here. No, that's not targeted harassment. That word has multiple meanings, and one of them is synonymous with "annoying."

• TwitchyMikeTwitchyMike Member Posts: 759
    edited August 2021

Not to take away form your post but it's a Pride Charm* Not Gay charm. Some people may take offense to it being called that.

But to answer your question it could be reported but beyond that not much else you can do. I mean I hope that player hits his head on a door though tonight for saying that.

Oh it's my pleasure 😃. I identify in this group so I understand. It's not super offensive but I know there are those out there who would be offended and rightfully so. Yes it is annoying indeed because It's usually just people who are misinformed or don't understand or care to understand. I don't think @About8Genjis meant any harm wording it this way but it is incorrect to say so.

• BioXBioX Member Posts: 1,378
    edited August 2021

I dont really understand why so many here seem to think that this is harrasment and something you can report them for.....

I mean sure saying in the chat that you dislike someone because they are "gay" making it seem like being gay is a bad thing, that is not allowed, but tunneling is perfectly allowed, the devs have said so many times.

How can you claim harassments or targeting when they do something that is just gameplay in the dev's eyes.

I mean at this point you are basically saying that playing the game any way you want is fine unless you have a reason for it that you admit to.....which is just weird.

edited August 2021

yeah but "targeting" just meant tunneling which is allowed and seen as normal gameplay

Imagine playing against 2 Claudettes and Tapp and Adam and then saying in the end chat you say you....played the game and fullfilled your role because...they were black...

And then getting banned for just playing the game.

its just such a weird thing when you do the exact same thing you otherwise would do except you admit/claim its for a reason, then suddenly you get banned.

Motive matters. Always has. It's the difference between a so-called "crime of passion" and premeditated murder, for instance. It's the difference between a hate crime and a crime whose victim happened to be a minority.

This isn't weird, it's the way it works in the vast majority of countries on Earth (including yours, I'd bet).

I mean... There's nothing wrong with tunneling. And it seem like there's some missing parts of the conversation but that is besides the point. The point is the killer admitted he tunneled the Dwight because he is gay is down right offensive. This is not a conversation about tunneling its a conversation about offensive word usage to justify their tunneling.

ermm not really, murder is murder because it is premeditated, a crime of passion is something that happens in the heat of the moment and emotions run to high, those are just different things.

I get that motives matter but the outcome of games is not something you can really show, the only proof is just (like I said) them claiming it is for a reason, even though without that reason the game could/would have ended just the same way.

Tunneling and camping is completely fine....unless you say its for a certain reason, that is just a tad weird to me, its all the same thing, the outcome would have been totally fine were it not for that bit of extra information.

I can tunnel whoever I want and let everyone else live who dont meet my criteria and it would be totally fine unless I happen to disclose my motives....

• VioletCrimesVioletCrimes Member Posts: 870

The difference would be if the killer said "I tunneled Claudette because she's black". Deliberately being a dick and a bigot is what gets you the ban.

Fun fact: if you constantly tunnel and camp the same survivor over and over (i.e.: target them), that is also bannable.

Another fun fact: the vast majority of homophobes and other such hateful individuals are too hopped up on their hate to not go full Plague in the end-game chat and explicitly say why they did it.

If you're worried about getting banned because you killed this or that character, don't be. This has been discussed at length.

Motives do matter. Especially if this murder was in court it could constitute as a hate crime as opposed to man slaughter or other various reasons. I think this discussion got derailed lol xD. Long story short what the killer said was offensive and his account should be suspended or how ever BHVR see fit for punishment. No one is saying he is wrong for tunneling he was wrong to say what he said in justifying his reasons behind it.

edited August 2021

what if they said it was because Dwight is homosexual? or because he was wearing a yellow sweater? or because he was running a certain perk? its all the same action and its all fine and allowed.....except when you say its for a certain reason....

Well listen, I agree with you but im looking at this from the devs perspective, they claim tunneling and camping is fine and allowed and part of the game, their words so you cannot say that a killer is "being a dick" for doing that as its just part of the gameplay.

And yeah they are atleast acting like they are a bigot but again, my point is that it just led to normal gameplay.

What if the killer let the dwight go as the only one "because he was gay"?

What if the killer specifically did not use their powers and only used m1 on the dwight "because he was gay"

What if the killer specifically ONLY used their power on the dwight "because he was gay"

What if the killer always did a little spin before hitting the dwight "because he was gay"

Do you see the problem here? non of these things would be even worth mentioning, its because WE see tunneling and camping as unfun or unfair but its the DEVS that said its perfectly fine and allowed and part of the gameplay.......so I ask again, what can you really report that player for? mentioning that they think dwight is homosexual?

edited August 2021

If he said because he was homosexual that's just as bad... I think you're missing the point of this discussion BioX What are you not understanding? It doesn't matter that he was tunneled or let go. The context and wording behind his reason was offensive and unwarranted. No one is saying tunneling is bad in this discussion. The face that the killer supported his reason for tunneling the way he did is the problem and the point of the discussion.

• VioletCrimesVioletCrimes Member Posts: 870
    edited August 2021

I think you're missing the part where the killer admitted that Dwight DESERVED to be hard tunneled because he's gay. Doing a little spin doesn't hurt the game. Only letting Dwight go because they think he's gay is favoritism, which killers do all the time (many killers admit to often letting certain characters go). Only focusing on one character because you're a bigot and have a trait you don't like (in this case, being gay) is where the harassment part comes in.

The devs already said this is bannable, so I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by claiming otherwise.

• UnifallUnifall Member Posts: 749

I think its only if its done multiple times and admitted it. But I could be wrong.

This discussion has been closed.