Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Would killers use a perk that blocks totems at the start of the trial?

Similar to corrupt, it could block totems for 120 seconds, or a different time based on testing. My question is if people would actually use a perk slot for this, or if it’s a dumb idea?

Comments

• AdelooAdeloo Member Posts: 1,398

Would it block all totems or only Hex totems ?

All totems : you are forcing survivor into working on gens.

Hex totems : you are forcing survivor into working on gens

I don't think this would be productive to run, as you usually want survivors to spend the smallest amount of time on gen rather than forcing them to do it because they don't have their secondary objective available ^^

• WexlerWendigoWexlerWendigo Member Posts: 1,867

Not sure, think either would be fine. People work on gens anyway, there’s no reason to do secondary objectives unless ruin or devour is up.

• Alice_pbgAlice_pbg Member Posts: 5,066

No.

The good hex perks take a while to become useful. By that time they will be cleansed

• AdelooAdeloo Member Posts: 1,398

hum i don't know then. I don't think it's worth either case. Hex totems are hit or miss. You either get lucky and it doesn't get cleanse at all or it get found instantly. that's why they are usually really powerful ^^

• JPLongstreetJPLongstreet Member Posts: 2,909
    edited August 2021

Why not tie it into Corrupt? How about one less gen protected but all totems locked for the duration?

• TacitusKilgoreTacitusKilgore Member Posts: 1,381

a better perk would be reverse corrupt for hexes. Makes them look like dull totems for 120 seconds or something before lighting them.

• ShinobuSKShinobuSK Member Posts: 4,361

I wouldnt. Its a waste of perk slot. Corrupt would be still better.

Theres already too much focus on totems lately with perks and upcoming boon totem, instead of just fixing totem spawns for years now

• BabuDweetBabuDweet Member Posts: 553

I think it should be basekit for killers if I'm honest. Blocking the hex totems at least for 30 seconds or something like that.

Just my opinion though.

• The_C12H15NO2The_C12H15NO2 Member Posts: 297

I would only b/c the RNG of totem spawns is bad. the perk should cover all totems & make all totems appear to be dull for the time frame.

• xenotimebongxenotimebong Member Posts: 2,803

It would be an interesting perk in terms of how it would affect survivor behaviour. It would be funny to run it with no hexes to try and make survivors think you have NOED or a hidden Devour. Or if you ran Haunted, running it to encourage them to cleanse those totems later in the match.

I don’t know whether it would be used a lot or not, though. It would probably just always be paired with Ruin and never run otherwise.

• Yung_SlugYung_Slug Member Posts: 2,237

I played Ruin + Undying for the first time in months and lost both totems within 20 seconds of the match starting. So... maybe. But only on some killers, on Myers I'm liking the Corrupt + Lethal Pursuer combo.

• FancyMrBFancyMrB Member Posts: 1,228

Not a dumb idea! The pitfall is as killers we want survivor's touching totems so gens don't pop off too quickly.

Alternatively what do you think of a perk that add 3-4 more totems in a trial? Keeps survivors more busy that way?

That, or kind of like your idea but instead of blocking totems it makes Hex totems look like dull totems for the first 120 sec of the match? ^^ A sneaky totem perk for killers!

• WexlerWendigoWexlerWendigo Member Posts: 1,867
  • CarthCarth Member Posts: 691
    edited August 2021

No. Between feeling like an early game perk(lethal/corrupt). An info perk. A chase perk, A regression perk, and usually one other wildcard perk I feel like it would be way too much reliance on a single perk. By this I mean, I hate the idea of something like (new perk) + Undying + ruin. That's 3/4 perks with 2 dedicated solely to protecting the one. We don't need more reliance on making ruin permeant, which lets be honest. That's what this really boils down to. Ruin is the clear outlier of 'best hex perk' in terms of raw numbers & efficiency and we keep trying to make it last longer and longer and be guaranteed.

This is my core problem with hex totems in general. The spawn system is so bad and uncontrollable and band aid fixing it by adding perks like undying/retribution/etc isn't really fun or engaging gameplay you are just praying it helps that one really good perk stay around. I think the entire hex system should be scrapped and re-designed into something that can still keep the totem mechanic and flavor but isn't so binary of 'it carried' or 'it got cleansed in 2 seconds of the game starting'.

• FancyMrBFancyMrB Member Posts: 1,228

Agreed ^^ I am sure some other things would need tweaking too!

• Huge_BushHuge_Bush Member Posts: 3,475

I'd rather they just make sure totems aren't out in the open or right across a gen. I get that they're high reward/high risk, but there should be a modicum of effort on the survivors part.