Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions
Reminder for Forum Users, please do not share codes here. This is something that is expressly against the rules of this forum.

Optimal Time To Solve The Puzzle Box

jaredlxxiiijaredlxxiii Member Posts: 624
edited September 2021 in General Discussions

I have noticed survivors solving it shortly after a match begins. That doesn't seem like the best time to do so and they should wait a bit. I am curious what others thinks is an optimal time to do it.

Post edited by jaredlxxiii on

Comments

• AneurysmAneurysm Member Posts: 5,112

While actually solving it (not just picking it up) then when he's hooking someone else if you don't want to be interrupted, in a safe zone if you do. That's my early impression anyway.

• ClowningClowning Member Posts: 886

Right as the first Survivor is wounded, so that Killer is forced to drop the chase, thus denying the down, especially if you suspect the teammate might be a potato.

Later in the game? When Pinhead is carrying a Survivor, or when he's hanging around unfinished generators and you're far away from them in a relatively safe area.

• OldHunterLightOldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,000

I do it exactly how I play against hag, when someone is injured or when someone is being carried to a hook.

Idk if it's optimal.

• SeraphorSeraphor Member Posts: 4,285

That's optimal if you don't want to get chased yourself. But Clowning makes a good point about doing it when he's chasing an injured survivor, as it might prevent them getting downed.

• Nos37Nos37 Member Posts: 2,713
    edited September 2021

A good reason to pick up the lament early is when you see it has spawned next to a generator. The killer patrols gens at the start. They will come across it and there will be a very early chain hunt. Not good to leave it.

• OldHunterLightOldHunterLight Member Posts: 3,000

I don't mind being chased in fact that is what I prefer, I myself hate doing gens and only play survivor for the chase interaction.

And yes, I put that as well before I said "being carried to a hook"

• TWiXTTWiXT Member Posts: 1,898
    edited September 2021

Optimal time to do it is about 5 seconds before the chain hunt comes for you. The reason being that it takes 90 seconds for a chain hunt to initiate, and 45 seconds for the box to respawn after a survivor solves it. That means that if you solve it either right before the chain hunt, or as soon as it begins, you are keeping the pressure off the team for 85 seconds + 45 + 90, or 3 mins 40 seconds, whereas if you solve it right when you pick it up and the chain hunt progress has only had 10 seconds, you're only keeping the pressure of the team for 10 + 45 + 90 seconds, or 2 mins 25 seconds instead... that's a difference of 1 min 15 seconds, so if you collect the box early, wait until the chain hunt it about to begin to maximize how much time you can give your team before the next chain hunt.

Keep in mind though, If pinhead Picks up the box from the ground, the box will respawn in 10 seconds, but if he takes it by downing/grabbing a survivor, then the respawn increases to 30 seconds! Basically, it's actually better just to let him pick it up than take it from you since its the difference between suffering a chain hunt for 10+ seconds or 30+ seconds, so whatever you do, If you have the box, don't let him down you with it, or if he chases you to it's location, don't pick it up! This is actually why I'm not in the "Franklin's Demise is great on Pinhead" camp, because if you knock it out of a survivors hands and pick it up, you're gonna end up with a pathetically short Chain hunt Window... it's much better to down/grab them to take it, so exposing perks are the better option.

Other than maximizing the amount of time you grant your team between potential chain hunts, There's also the question of "When is he least likely to Teleport to me?" and that is pretty simple: If he's chasing an injured teammate, or picking up a downed one. If he's carrying someone to the hook, the chances of him Teleporting to you are greatly minimalized, not impossible, but it's definitely a safer time to do it. If he's chasing an injured survivor while you are healthy and solving the box, chances are he won't ditch his chase to come after you, and you'll get to solve it without issue, on the other hand, if your injured ally is really kiting him around, or you're injured and he's just tired of the chase, then he's likely to take the opportunity to come after you instead.

Another great time to Solve it and risk him coming after you is if you find yourselves in a 3 gen situation. All you need to do is run to the opposite side of the map and start solving it, and if he's stupid enough to teleport to you leaving the gens defenseless, then you've helped your team a lot, if not then you'll solve it in peace, and your team won't have to worry about another chain hunt causing any problems with the 3 gen situation.

Finally, never try to solve it if you're exposed, close to him, or injured. To him that's just free opportunity to either get an easy down or take the box from you, so be mindful.

Pinhead isn't all that menacing of a threat right now, but even if they buff him in some way, this advice about timing when you solve the box is probably going to stay true... unless they completely change the Lament configurations core mechanics, which is unlikely tbh.

Post edited by TWiXT on
  • Lochnload_exeLochnload_exe Member Posts: 1,255

This actually screws the survivors over more than anything. I am usually heading for the survivors anyways, and so if they go for it early, it means I can stop them early and begin chain hunt immediately

• FeelsBadManFeelsBadMan Member Posts: 494

The teammates I keep getting would answer the question with "never"- Honestly, I am constantly the only one picking it up...