Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

The Sad Truth Of Playing Killer.

2»

Comments

• FellowKillerMainFellowKillerMain Member Posts: 816

So, what does one do when they've spent money on something when it was enjoyable, and the game takes a turn to an unenjoyable state, regardless of how you play? Do you just stop playing and say "Oh well, they suckered me, that's my fault." then quit the game? Or complain to let the developers know what's going on?

• SweetTerrorSweetTerror Member Posts: 2,520

Killer is not the power role, and hasn't been for quite some time. The sad truth is, is that playing killer is far more nerve-wracking which is ridiculous. As such I've learned to accept that when I play killer, I have to face the fact that I'm lucky if I get one kill. There is no perk nor power that can counter a well-coordinated SWF.

• StarLostStarLost Member Posts: 6,739

Bingo.

I support this game because I really, really like it. It's still very frustrating to be a killer main, and only part of that is the mechanics of the game.

There seems to be an attitude towards the killer role from both developers and survivor players that is different to the attitude towards survivor players. Nerfs are doled out more rapidly, and often inexplicably in the name of 'this is unfun to play against', despite this being true of nearly every meta survivor perk and addon.

Not to mention the daily 'we should be allowed to DC if we aren't having fun' thread, inevitably written by a survivor player.

I don't mind this. I try to think of killer as more being a facilitator of fun games for the survivors.

That said, a big part of what makes me bitter is the attitude of survivors in-game.

If they spent a few days playing killer, they'd be a lot more grateful to killers who don't play for the 4k every game, rather than teabagging and flashing killers all the way to the gate and gloating at them in postgame.

Yes, this is the internet and as such, probably needs a jumbo enema. It still does wear on me over time.

• FellowKillerMainFellowKillerMain Member Posts: 816

I agree. Culturally, most of society is in a time of "appreciating everyone's experience" and the developers push this sentiment in the lore they write for the game, and the charms they add supporting marginalized groups. But, when it comes to their own game and the killer role, neglecting and marginalizing that experience is totally acceptable - gauging by their actions lately.

What bothers me so much, is not so much the imbalances, but the fact that I've given so much of my time and money to this game and I feel like they're shitting all over me and my experience. Which, for a business, and as a consumer, doesn't make much sense.

The toxicity can definitely wear you down. Nothing worse than getting stomped by a toxic team. It's easy to tell someone to just ignore it, but another thing entirely when you're inundated with it time and again.

edited November 2021

Yeah.

I mean, this is basically my last 4 games.

Game #1: Obnoxious Pinhead game. Full SWF, 3 with flashlights and one toolbox (all switched to last second). Haddonfield offering+further hooks offering. Clearly smurfed their MMR down, there is no way I should be playing against 3000 hour players with my sub 300. Teabagging and clicky macros from the start. One got cocky and I hooked, which led to me being able to pressure and get my chain hunts+Plaything+Retribution combo going. They got into lockers until the AFK crows started, then they all DCed.

Game #2: Good Hag game on Ormond. I get 2 kills, but it was close. GG's all round in postgame.

Game #3: Pinhead game on DDS. Survivor runs up to me almost from the start, teabags. I down them, hook them and they suicide on hook. I decide to be a nice guy and give the others a chance to farm, deliberately letting them get a few gens deep and not 3 hooking anyone, usually letting them have a chance to heal. Game still takes ages because they don't bother looking for the box once the chain hunt starts. I get yelled at in postgame for 'not ending' and they threaten to report me for holding the game hostage. Urgh.

Game #4: Demo game on Haddonfield. Survivors get 3 gens done super fast, I manage to hook someone and that person rage DCs. I wind up with a nicely defensible 4gen (for Haddonfield), with portals in excellent positions and end up with a 4k fairly fast. I get yelled at in postgame for being sweaty and not 'giving them a chance when they had a DC'.

You just can't win.

• TWiXTTWiXT Member Posts: 1,965
    edited November 2021

Here ya go OP:

3 - The Killers role is to kill, the Survivors is to survive... Both by any means necessary. This is the Hearts-blood Core reality of how this game is played! No matter how a killer or survivor(s) win the match, it's all part of the games design, and no one should waste any time or energy complaining about it as long as they've gained their victory using the legal mechanics, or tactics the game provides/allows them to achieve it!

In other words ALL IS FAIR when it comes to playing the role you've chosen (unless cheating/hacking, but we'll get into that further down the list in rule 7). If there's anything you feel is unfair about either side:

1. Reflect upon your own side, and what tactics and builds you/your team are using to achieve your goal.
    2. Compare it to what your opponent(s) used to achieve theirs.
    3. If possible, strive to experience the other side FIRST before you post any complaints on the forums about your experience against your opposition.
    4. Ask yourself if there is something inherently broken in the games mechanics that needs to be addressed before you resort to posting your complaint (e.g. Encountering perks, items, add-ons, mechanics, or abilities that absolutely provide too much of an advantage to your opposition, and are un-counterable by anything you do. If there is a counter to these things, either discovered by yourself or researched, save your complaint and learn/employ said counter the next time you face it, if not... then by all means let the devs know by posting your complaint).

Always remember, if your opponent won a match/trial while using the legal mechanics the game provides, it's not really their fault for taking advantage of it, is it? In other words, if you have a complaint you're just itching to express on the forums, you should first ensure that you're Legitimately Hating the game, not the player. As anything else will be seen as nothing more than a post filled with "banal whining" by the majority of the community.

TL;DR: If its a legal mechanic, feel free to use it, after all... if your opponent(s) aren't going to hold back on any of their builds or tactics, then why should you? If you want to complain about it, be sure you check your own builds and tactics you/your team used, As well as strive to experience the other role first, and only complain if there is a legitimate problem with the game's mechanics instead of mindlessly venting about how you got outplayed.

This is an excerpt from my "List of Unbiased rules" that I've been working on for about 2 years, and update to repost when we're expecting a surge of new players, just as a courtesy reminder that no one should follow any Biased rules posted by one side or the other, and just have fun with the game. It's a LONG read, but if interested you can read more here:

These are the only rules I play by, and they haven't let me down yet.

Honestly I just want a bot mode like what DBD mobile has. These days I'll take playing over real players any day. The less I have to contend with toxicity the better. At least with bots I can facilitate how hard or easy they will be.

• Dino7281Dino7281 Member Posts: 3,294

I agree about SWF. It would be just super dumb to punish SWF for playing with friends... Just buff soloQ.

I definetly hate this type of balancing. I prefer balancing around top players, not noobs. Truth is Wraith was never top tier killer, mainly because he is not good at tunneling nor camping, he needs to use hit&run, which got nerfed hard with CoH. I can agree with addon nerf, but basekit nerf made him bad again. It just super bad when you whiff around loops and you know it's because if that nerf.

I'm fine with them balancing around top level play, ala SC2.

I'm fine with them balancing around low level play.

What I'm not fine with is inconsistency.

Either Wraith needs his nerf reverted, or killers with low kill rates at lower levels of play need to be made easier. Otherwise BHVR are just basically saying 'we don't really care about low level killer players'.

• shyguyyshyguyy Member Posts: 297

Yes, quit the game. Literally the best thing you could do at this point. If there was literally anything on the market remotely similar to DBD half the player base would be gone overnight.

• BadLooperQBadLooperQ Member Posts: 277

Nice read OP. Now, can we have hit validation on windows pretty please? 🙃

What do you mean?

Windows are hinky sometimes, but they are as hinky for survivors as they are for killers.

Honestly, if I had a wishlist it would be:

• Don't nerf Pinhead. If you are going to nerf his 'hunt' addons, make his 'faster turning' addon baseline to make hooks a bit less janky.
    • Fix the Twins bug that makes Victor immovable.
    • Increase the Exhaustion timer on Dead Hard.
    • Fix the visual bug on DH (false hits) and it's ability to break certain killer powers.
    • Make boons easier for the killer to locate and prevent their effect projecting through floors.
    • Revert Wraith nerf. He's garbage tier now.
    • If you won't let Deathslinger quickscope, increase his movement speed.
    • Reduce Pig's terror radius to 24
    • Make Deerstalker baseline on all killers (it's not that I'm trying to slug you, I just can't find you because you crawled off to Narnia).
    • Make the BBQ BP gain baseline on all killers, make the WGLF BP gain baseline on all survivors.
  • dbd_devdbd_dev Member Posts: 1

Relatively new player but love the game as both survivor and killer. Play more survivor. Lately (past few days) Wraith is demolishing every squad I play with (not SWF). Did he change at all very recently? I like the role of trying to save other survivors but against him recently we don't get 2 gens done and 2 people are dead already. I don't think in over 10 matches I've seen any escapes yet against him and it seems he is coming up every other match. Guess I'll have to play him soon to see if it feels any different.

Anyway, I play no matter how the killer plays to the end but have to say not that fun when the match is over and nothing has been accomplished outside of hiding and unhooking survivors until they get the 3rd hook.

As a survivor I always thank the killer who lets up when it is obvious he has the upper hand early on. I see people saying teabagging and I assume that is the crouch action? As a survivor I do that as a thank you, like a bow.

Nice to see other player's thoughts on this. Have fun. Good game.

A few things to consider:

• Wraith is a very tough killer to deal with as a new player. Once you've got a feel for him, he's one of the easiest killers to deal with. Play him for a dozen games or so and you'll figure his tricks out fairly fast.
    • Haha, please, do not 'thank' people with crouching. They'll assume that you are taunting them and will do their level best to kill you.
    • Try to select a handful of good perks to start with - Kindred, Dead Hard, Inner Strength and Spinechill are very good, very strong perks for solo que.
    • Good luck and enjoy your stay!