Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions
We will shortly be deploying a hotfix to the PTB to potentially address the Save Game Errors that some players were facing. Please update your PTB build when the update is available and let us know of any issues. Thank you.

Would it hurt if Killers could see hook states per person too?

Comments

• You could keep a running tally and jot them down. It does help and it does contribute to gameplay because you are using all of your senses available along with your memory to help you develop a strategy or strengthen your abilities as a player. Helps you rely less on visual stimulus and strengthens your mind...

• RainehDazeRainehDaze Member Posts: 1,293

By that logic playing whilst having tennis balls shot in the face every ten seconds would also improve gameplay, but I'm not going to be rushing for a pitching machine.

That's a real stretch of "contributing to gameplay" or developing a strategy. <_>

• AurelleAurelle Member Posts: 2,403

Yes. That would promote camping and tunnelling which is already frequent enough in game as it is.

edited December 2021

At what point in camping and tunnelling do you benefit from a counter telling you who you've hooked? It's the one person you're following the entire time. Especially with camping.

Sure, in the event that you have identical people and they've been unhooked and healed and you lost track, it MIGHT be used to find that one person again by hitting everyone until the right one dings. But that's a very specific situation for tunnelling only AND relies on sheer single-minded desire to not down anybody else.

By this logic, seeing hookstates of hooked survivors is promoting camping. And bleed out timers are promoting slugging. Even though all of those would keep happening without change even if the entire UI was deleted.

• ShinobuSKShinobuSK Member Posts: 4,076

I am doing it all the time in solo. Kinda sad that I expect the same from teammates but usually they just keep doing that gen while watching me getting rekt on HUD

• MarigoriaMarigoria Member Posts: 4,622

Yeap. If I havent been hooked yet and someone is on their last hook and being chased I try my best to take a hit. Bond has been amazing to help me notice situations like that, but as amazing as showing me useless people as well.

• GodDamn_AngelaGodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,211

I see no reason why Killer's need this information. It wouldn't help, or hurt, anything. 🤷

As an aside: Killers who decide to camp and and/or tunnel already know who they hooked. Either they are on the hook already or they are the most recent survivor unhooked. It's not like a tunneler isn't like "I don't know who I just hooked" when they'd be chasing them already.

• SonzaishinaiSonzaishinai Member Posts: 6,218

I have a really hard time remembering this information, especially when i played a lot of games in a row as they tend to blur together in my mind.

Having this QoL would help a lot for me tbh.

If i want a chill game i can go for 8 hooks before killing someone without worrying if the base skin meg 1 was on dead hook or base skin meg 2 was.

Also would allow me to put someone on death hook early and then leave them be untill the game starts going to hard in the survivors favour.

Will it make the biggest difference in the world? No it wouldn't. But it would be a nice QoL change for something that works exactly the same for both sides and only one got a QoL change for

• tippy2k2tippy2k2 Member Posts: 3,319
    edited December 2021

I've always had my own internal rule of "multiple BPS equals no one dies". I still play normally, I just don't death hook.

99% of the time, this is no issue as I'm going in knowing I need to remember who was and wasn't hooked twice but if the game has hit 10-15 minute mark and it's been a while...

It absolutely sucks for me as a killer when I accidentally kill someone there (and it's good for my BP, I can't imagine what that poor survivor thinks seeing me let everyone go EXCEPT for them). If a killer is going to camp/tunnel, they have to remember one person's state and go after them only. Having a UI isn't going to make them somehow better at camping or tunneling.

I suppose ultimately it's not the biggest deal in the world but as a killer who tries to play "fairly", it sucks when I inadvertently take someone out asap because I'm expected to remember everything I've done in the match.

Post edited by tippy2k2 on
  • fogdonkeyfogdonkey Member Posts: 1,428

I always track the hook states on a piece of paper when playing killer.

• AvilgusAvilgus Member Posts: 1,207

No, it's like seeing the health bar of your opponent on any game.

Seeing the hook stage as survivor can be crucial on some case, body-blocking, risking a sabotage play, trading hooks.

• LabracLabrac Applicant Posts: 1,285

Nope. Never understood the argument that it would encourage tunneling. If I want to tunnel someone I just need to keep tab of that single person hook states, but if I want to play "fair" and spread the hooks sometimes it's incredibly hard, especially when there's two or more of the same survivors.

• ColonGlockColonGlock Member Posts: 900

All I care about are my BBQ stacks and that info is already displayed. Everything after that is gravy.

Look at the hud when you hook to see which person it was.

• VampwireVampwire Member Posts: 492

I don't think it would change much really. Most experienced killers know to keep a mental note on whos been hooked and how many times. So with this in mind, it doesn't make anything better or worse. It would make it slightly more convenient to tunnel. But it wouldn't be the sole reason for it either. And for any other aspect of the game it'd probably just be nice to have a reminder in case you forget.

• Mister_xDMister_xD Member Posts: 7,313

all this would realistically do is help newer Killer players by telling them who has been hooked how many times so they have an easier time deciding who to go for based on that information.

one crucial thing everyone who thinks this would "encourage tunneling" seems to forget is, that us Killers do have brains. We are able to remember who is on death hook and who isnt, so a change like this would quite literally change nothing for experienced players.

I don't think that's a matter of being an experienced Killer, so much as just having good memory. Maybe getting really attentive to skins/names in the lobby is sort-of-a-skill but that's not really a game-limited one.

And you still see streamers who play this all the time and are talking about who they've hooked lose track occasionally. So, neither experience nor making it easier is going to avoid slipups every now and then.

• KaitsjaKaitsja Member Posts: 708

There's no downside to killers being able to see the number of hooks each survivor has had. It's such an odd decision to hide that information from killers under the pretense that it could encourage tunneling.

If a killer wants to tunnel, they're going to do so regardless of what they see on their HUD.

• MrPenguinMrPenguin Member Posts: 1,519

The number of times I killed someone by accident because I didn't know they were on death hook while streamers are up...

Feels extra bad when it happens to be the one who brought in the streamers.

There's a lot going on in a match for killer, there's not the downtime like survivors get. Sometimes the hook states get lost in the chaos.

Its not going to promote tunneling or camping at all, it only helps the people who are trying not to do those things not do them. I see only benefits for both sides here.

• SluzzySluzzy Member Posts: 2,828

That would be horrendous.

See, if the biggest troll on the forum says it's a bad thing then it can't be that bad of a thing

• SluzzySluzzy Member Posts: 2,828

Tunneling is already rampant. That would be like pouring gasoline on a wild fire. Mystery is a good thing here

So how does knowing hookstates lead to tunnelling? It's pretty hard to make mistakes if trying to do that. You just need to follow one person.

And if you get the wrong one oh well you still got someone. New target or back to finding the old? Either works.

• SvarturSteinnSvarturSteinn Member Posts: 58

I'm not even sure where I feel about this because it can be used and abused in different ways.

I'll admit I can sometimes lose track of who I most recently hooked because I switch around who I'm hitting because I find it more fun to spread out my pressure and actively look for those chases. (Robbie ❤️) but on that same coin I can see how knowing how close someone is to being knocked out of a match would result in "Tunneling" because I caught them out of position and as we all know according to the survivors rulebook you're not supposed to hook the same person more than once. 😏

• ClownHornClownHorn Member Posts: 8

I really wish I could see hook states, because I'm trying not to tunnel. I can't always remember who it was I hooked last. I'd also like to know if the survivor I'm about to hook is on death hook. There is the little hook meter but it's so unhelpful that I didn't even know it was there until recently.

I don't think it will encourage more tunneling, because anyone who is tunneling is going to do it anyway. It's really really easy to tunnel already, and you don't need to see hook states to do it.

Please give the definition of tunneling.

And then explain how this would ptromote that in the slightest

• TheSubstituteTheSubstitute Member Posts: 697

Killers that are hard tunneling and camping don't magically forget who they were just camping. Showing the hook states would be a nice QoL change for killers that don't camp or tunnel. As other killers have stated on this thread, I also don't want to take out a survivor too early from the game and, if there is a BPS in play, I don't want to kill any survivors period. Showing the hook states would give me info that I might have missed, such as a survivor not being rescued until second stage from one hook, and help me stop accidentally killing a survivor.

I have been camped and hard tunneled when playing survivor. It completely sucks but if the killer is totally ignoring the wounded unhooker or any other survivors trying to block or take protection hits while the tunneling killer just single mindedly chases me showing hook states won't make a difference.

• Not sure why tennis balls would relate to memory processing and management... because one correlates with growth where the other does not