Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

What's The Point of a Ranking System That Does Nothing?

It looks cool, sure, but it's completely meaningless when it comes down to matchmaking. If the ranking system is meaningless and has no bearing on the MMR, then why even use it? What is it showing? I'm a little confused honestly, because I thought the higher your rank the more skilled player you were, but apparently that's not true?

Comments

• cantelopecantelope Applicant Posts: 343

Every 13th your rank awards you bp before being reset. Thats its purpose.

• bm33bm33 Member Posts: 5,989

They wanted people to use it as "bragging rights" that you play DBD alot but not as "bragging rights" that you have more skill than someone else. 😂

• MurgleïsMurgleïs Member Posts: 266

It gives you BP, nothing else. You don’t get to see your mmr, and you don’t get any reward for being high mmr (assuming you are, cause you don’t know…).

• dugmandugman Member Posts: 5,958

To clarify, I think the original post is asking more about why we see opponent’s grades. Your own grade is relevant because of the bloodpoint award each month, but opponent’s grades are irrelevant and could be removed from the endgame screen. (In fact one of the devs commented last month asking for feedback on whether they should remove opponent’s grades so it’s definitely something they’re working on or considering.)

• PizzasaucePizzasauce Member Posts: 940

Oh, yeah. Forgot about that.

Well, kind of, yeah. I wanted to talk about this in my other thread about a match I got where it was a bronze up against 4 iridescent. I'm aware grades and mmr have nothing to do with eachother, but if they mean nothing, then what's the point of having them there? Because 4 iri vs. 1 bronze looks like it would be a severe beat down, despite the matchmaking, if the grades were actually based on skill. It's just pointless and I'm salty.

• dugmandugman Member Posts: 5,958

Opponent’s grades aren’t totally nothing, grades reflect recent playtime and more playtime is correlated with higher skill. It’s just not as strong a link as some people think.

• PizzasaucePizzasauce Member Posts: 940
    edited January 2

That makes sense.

Well then, what I was first trying to say in my other thread seems to be partially right, when you're matched against higher graded players aka higher skilled players, somethings not right, or as I put it, is amusing.

• Tr1nityTr1nity Member Posts: 4,859

Well, than there is no point

• TheMadCatTheMadCat Member Posts: 1,913

There was a SBMM test where the ranks were hidden, so players won't be like "I was against a Red rank while I'm Brown". But I think people still complained about it.

I wouldn't mind not seeing the grades.

• GuyFawxGuyFawx Member Posts: 1,786

When we had ranks before as a killer you couldnt get to rank 1 without playing BNS at least now their is a little more variety in the pipeline. As for rank = skill thats unfortunately very subjective and not something you can always track on a player. People seem to forget that the sbmm system is susposed to get better over time as more data is calculated but we just dont know enough so its all guess work.