Developer Update | January 2022 - Part 2
Welcome back! Hopefully your New Year’s resolution was to read more, because here comes part 2 of this developer update. In case you missed it, you can catch up on part 1 here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/302821
Now, without further ado, let’s get this show on the road.
Before we dive into the fun stuff, we want to address a serious topic.
For those who may not know, The Cannibal can unlock the faces of the four original Survivors by sacrificing them 25 times.
Members of the community have shared their experiences with people targeting and harassing them while using some of these masks. These reports were disheartening to hear, and we absolutely condemn this behaviour. We are not comfortable having these masks in the game when they are used as a tool to spread hate. To that end, we will be removing The Cannibal’s unlockable faces in this upcoming Mid-Chapter.
Anyone who has ever played The Cannibal by the release of the Mid-Chapter update will be awarded 6,000 Iridescent Shards to compensate for their removal.
We will not tolerate hateful activity and will continue to take every step necessary to protect the community.
Grade Rewards Revisited
A few months back, ranks became grades and we introduced rewards based on how far you manage to climb each month. Currently, the rewards range up to 250,000 Bloodpoints.
We’ve been tracking grade resets in the months since to see not only how far everyone manages to get in a month, but also how many matches it took to get there. The current reward for your efforts doesn’t seem very fitting, so we will be increasing the grade rewards starting with the January 13th season, with the new rewards first going out on February 13th.
We’re in the process of finalizing the exact rewards, but we’ll keep you posted once they are decided. (Rest assured, they will indeed be higher than before.)
In our last Mid-Chapter, we made some tweaks to a bunch of different add-ons. We were thrilled to see such a positive reaction, so we’ve decided to make it a tradition. We hope to make add-on tweaks like these a more regular part of our updates in the future.
Please keep in mind that just because you don’t see a particular add-on on the list below doesn’t mean it’s not on our radar. We’ll rapid fire through the add-ons we’ll be adjusting this time:
- Adrenaline Vial: Reduced the rush turn rate penalty to 55%
- Carburetor Tuning Guide: Reduced movement speed penalty to 2% (was 4%)
- Depth Gauge Rake: Reduced movement speed penalty to 2% (was 4%)
- Iridescent Flesh: Lowered the maximum tantrum duration to 5 seconds (was 8)
- Long Guide Bar: Increased time before tantrum by 2 seconds (was 1)
- Solvent Jug: Increased duration of Invigoration by 2 seconds (was 1)
- Robin Feather: Decreases cooldown by 40% (was 30%)
- Flask of Bleach: Increases Hindered effect by 4% (was 5%)
- Redhead’s Pinkie Finger: Reduces bottle count by 2
- Amanda’s Letter: Reduces available RBTs by 2 (was 3)
- Last Will: Increases time to charge Ambush attacks by 33% (was 66%)
- Iridescent Pendant: Increased Exposed duration to 45 seconds (was 30)
- Baby Teeth: Increased Blindness duration to 30 seconds (was 15)
- Madeleine's Scarf: Increases Victor’s movement speed by 0.3m/s (was 0.4m/s)
- Toy Sword: Decreases Pounce charge time by 0.2 seconds (was 0.25)
- Stale Biscuit: Decreases Pounce cooldown by 0.4 seconds (was 0.5)
- Iridescent Umbrella Badge: Increased duration of Exposed effect to 60 seconds (was 30)
- Shattered S.T.A.R.S Badge: Increases zombie movement speed by 150% for 60 seconds (was 100% for 60 seconds)
- Marvin’s Blood: Increases mutation rate by 25% (was 33%)
- Mikhail’s Eye: Increases zombie movement speed by 35% (was 50%)
- Wooden Fox: Increased Undetectable duration to 30 seconds (was 15)
- Iridescent Family Crest: Increased range to 24m (was 12m)
It wouldn’t be a dev update without a list of perks being changed. Here’s what’s in store for this Mid-Chapter.
The effects of wiggling have been increase to 50/75/100%, and the aura blocking range for nearby hooks has been increased to a nice round 16m. Additionally, Boil Over now has a new effect: If the Killer drops from a height while carrying you, you’ll instantly get a 25% wiggle progress bonus.
With all the things that can read your auras these days, those tokens can disappear sooner than you’d like. So we’re upping the number of tokens that you start with to 4.
Remember Me can have a lot of potential, but the basic attack condition could make it an unpopular choice on some Killers. So it’s gone: Remember Me will now get a token whenever the Obsession loses a health state.
On that note, it seems only fitting to revisit Wake Up. We’ve increased the gate opening speed bonus to 15/20/25%. This should make the perk more impactful when it comes into play and offer some counterplay in the event that Remember Me catches on.
Simply put, the conditions for Gearhead are too strict for the payoff, so we’re giving it a small rework. Any time a Survivor loses a health state, Gearhead activates. The next time a Survivor hits a great skill check while repairing, their aura will be revealed for 6/8/10 seconds. Gearhead then deactivates. These changes will make the perk more appealing on Killers that rely more heavily on special attacks and make it activate far more often while also providing more detailed information.
This one released with pretty safe values so it wouldn’t get out of hand, but we’re now comfortable with reducing the activation conditions. Power Struggle will now activate once 25/20/15% wiggle progress has been reached. This should make it a little easier to pull off with some planning.
Another small tweak: The aura reading duration has been increased to 6/8/10 seconds.
Coup de Grace
This one’s a bit of a rollercoaster: It was originally toned down because it was too strong, but then that made it a little too weak. We’re bumping the lunge increase up to 70/75/80% (also shortening the gap between different tiers of the perk, woo!)
Furtive Chase has found its way into some niche builds and can be a lot of fun to experiment with. However, losing all your tokens when the Obsession is killed leaves you without a perk for the rest of the match. So, we’re getting rid of the restriction: You’ll no longer lose your tokens if the Obsession dies.
Dead Man’s Switch
The Obsession condition of this perk makes it very inconsistent to use, and also severely limits the number of times it can activate in a match. So it’s gone! Now, Dead Man’s Switch will activate whenever any Survivor is hooked.
And on that note, you’re all geared up for tomorrow’s Player Test Build (and subsequent Mid-Chapter)! Be sure to let us know how we did, we’ll be keeping an eye out for your thoughts.
The Dead by Daylight team