Home Dead by Daylight Forums Technical Issues

Unstable FPS, game stutters a LOT

LounLoun Member Posts: 20
edited January 4 in Technical Issues

Hi.

So, for context, DBD has never actually ran "correctly" on my PC. FPS drops have always been a thing ever since I started playing in 2018. My PC is also the same.

But it's gotten considerably worse with the Resident Evil Chapter update. The game stutters a lot and FPS drops are super common, and I'm unable to determine if it's a CPU, GPU, RAM, or whatever problem.

It doesn't seem like it's any of that. Is there any solution to fix the FPS drops and stutters ?

My specs :

CPU : i7-4770 3.40 GHz 4 cores

GPU : Nvidia GTX 760 2 GB

RAM : 8 Gb DDR3

STORAGE : 128 GB SSD + 1 Tb HDD (DBD is installed on the HDD)

I'm playing the game with -dx12 launch command, because I think it fixed some of the stutters ? Not really sure, it might just be my imagination.

My HDD is quite old and slow by now, so it might be the cause of the stutters.

Thanks in advance.

Edit : I forgot to precise, I'm playing the game on Low settings, and I edited the GameUserSettings.ini file to lower the resolution to 55%. The game looks quite blurry but it's the only way I've found to reduce GPU usage.

Comments

• KhaineGBKhaineGB Member, Mod Posts: 10,096

Do you have room on the SSD? If so, try moving the game there.

• LounLoun Member Posts: 20

Unfortunately, my SSD is only 128 GB and Windows and a couple of other softwares are taking up most of the available storage, so I unfortunately do not have enough room on the SSD.

Mmmkay, grab CrystalDiskMark (free program) and run that to test your HDD speed. It's entirely possible it might just be too slow for a smooth experience due to age.

edited January 6

Here are the results :

Edit : Here, if you want the .txt version :

Update : A friend of mine gave me an HDD, which is far from being as old as mine. I moved DBD to it, it seems like stutters are slightly less frequent, but they're still a thing.

I've noticed that I will always get a 2 seconds freeze whenever someone uses a Flashbang, or the Killer gets Blast Mine'd. It's worse than a stutter, but those perks aren't super common in my games so I guess I'm fine with them freezing the game for a few seconds.

I feel like this game is simply not great to play on HDD ? I feel like I'm experiencing the same problems as PS4/XOne players. I might have to buy an SSD for this game, at some point.

I'm a dumbass. I meant CrystalDiskMark, not CrystalDiskInfo. -_- On the good side, your HDD is in good condition.

But yeah, I think the large asset files, even when compressed, are causing problems for HDD's. You could also try incresing your windows paging file, but I wouldn't do that until you get a bigger SSD being honest.

Okay then. I'll try to get a new SSD as soon as possible. Thanks for your help !