Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Why's the Cannibal being punished for the players' actions?

1235»

Comments

• MarigoriaMarigoria Member Posts: 5,966

The only virtue signaling I see is a white guy from the UK telling others to "educate themselves", which is just low effort and ironic.

Speaking up about it on an internet forum for a video game is not really doing much, is it? So it matters to you because you have friends in that video, I'm guessing if it was just random minorities you don't know you wouldn't care? And yes, I believe that a few isolated cases of someone, who might have been harassed by someone wearing a mask with the obvious and stated intent to be racist, is still bad, it's just not a common issue, compared to actual issues this game has, including slurs still being able to be used in end game chat.

A random troll making a dumb comment isn't really relevant when there are people who still spew actual hate speech in end game chat, and even in the lobby when you're queueing as a survivor.

My issue isn't the mask being removed, since I don't even play Bubba and never even unlocked them, my issue is this being the only "solution" they are going to take to try to look like they care about racism. Because lets all be honest here, they do not actually ban people who type slurs in end game chat, like they dont ban people doing the same on their official discord server.

I'm all for trying to end harassment, when it's actually put effort into it.

• ReviloDBDReviloDBD Member Posts: 535

How on earth can someone actually get offended by this? lol.

• MarigoriaMarigoria Member Posts: 5,966

You also have the choice if you want to get stream sniped or not. Just don't put TTV in your name and a twitch link in your bio.

I know you mentioned earlier that it's easy to stream snipe and just find them in the lobby, but in reality, that isn't really true, since MMR is not even functional, so it's not like you're going against the same player over and over again. Unless you are in crossplay off, but then again, that's a decision you can also change by turning it on.

• The_Medicine_ManThe_Medicine_Man Member Posts: 65

For some in the west/US it's enough to be a white guy to be called racist.

• GeneralVGeneralV Member Posts: 7,877

The other option is to ban players who do so, but without confirmation about their intent it's really hard to do so.

"What if the player is simply a toxic player? Facecamping and slapping someone while wearign that mask isnt racist, but the person behind it could be doing it for racist intentions."

So what?

You would either get a racist banned or a toxic player banned. Good riddance it is.

Both are bad for the game.

• LordGlintLordGlint Member Posts: 6,586

Yeah... I dont see this being effective at all. Someone wanting to be abusive in chat will be abusive in chat, no matter what cosmetics are available for them to wear while doing it. The ONLY thing I can see someone would have a legit problem with with these masks themselves is the acquisition method behind them. If the Bubba is trying to get a specific mask and camps the hell out of the Jake in the game to get it... that sucks. As far as the USAGE of the masks afterwards though, I see no problem. Just ban the people thats mouthing off abusive chat no matter WHAT cosmetic they happen to wear.

• xXNurseXxxXNurseXx Member Posts: 261
    edited January 5

i disagree.

the solution is to exclude players with bad behaviour and there are plenty ways to detect them via the ingame chat.

• ImmersedNurseImmersedNurse Member Posts: 3,100

You'd be correct if there wasn't exploits that allows players to join specific lobbies and consistently stream snipe. But unfortauntely these cheats exist so your point is moot.

• Johnny_XManJohnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,089

My thing is, I wonder had those people not used it for racist purposes… if BHVR would have still gotten rid of it.

Because to me it sounds like they are taking away the “tool” but also not addressing the entire tool which is that most players were targeting each individual via Camping and Tunneling them out.

Right now you can still do that (target them) and claim your reasoning post chat. Now these people will still do it, just without the mask.

So if they are going to address the issue, then it should be overall not just taking away the cosmetic part of it.

• WarpheadWarphead Member Posts: 623

My complaint is "6000 shards to anyone who every played Leatherface."

So those of us that made effort back in the day accomplished exactly as much as anyone who loaded up a game once? I can't even get a little bonus for having them all?

Shitty end of the stick, as always.

• YoukoYouko Member Posts: 180

Quoting myself to provide some extra context to what I'm about to say, but....

Removing the mask does nothing to stop those players from targeting POC survivor skins or IRL POC streamers/players. Just as banning a KKK uniform or Confederate flags does nothing to mitigate the behavior of racists outside of DBD. They simply co-opt different symbols, often less identifiable symbols, that let them operate in the open with more plausible deniability. We saw this happen with the Proud Boys adopting the OK hand gesture, Fred Perry polo shirts, black/yellow utilikilts, and tactical vests (credit: Anti Defamation League website). None of these items or symbols on their own are inherently racist, but taken together, they are the new white hooded cloaks for a modern hate group.

It will only be a matter of time after this cosmetic ban that they pick a new symbol coupled with a pattern of behavior, only with it being far less obvious to pick out these bad actors and issue actions against them due, again, to increased plausible deniability. Worse here is that they have also gained notoriety and power over the game and the Devs knowing that their concerted acts have succeeded in removing content of the game and may encourage them to carry out more acts in the future for an intended result.

• VirghoulVirghoul Member Posts: 63

I get so much hate filled slurs in end game chat when I play Trickster it is sad. I don't see how removing a slightly darker colored mask is truly addressing the racism in the game. If that is the true intent some other serious changes need to be made. This feels lazy .

• SakurraSakurra Member Posts: 1,046

I didn't knew bubba could take survivor's face until they said they removed it lol. Can someone please explain me how these players were racist in game (or chat?) using this mask?

• PredatedPredated Member Posts: 2,686

As long as camping and tunneling isnt bannable, you cannot ban the second part. If you do make camping and tunneling bannable, well, good luck banning 99.9% of people who play killer, because sometimes tunneling and camping is necessary sometimes, let alone that its sometimes unavoidable.

Slapping someone on hook could also easily be argued to aggrivate a survivor so they make more mistakes later on in the game. It's not the best argument, but it has merit.