Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions
Reminder for Forum Users, please do not share codes here. This is something that is expressly against the rules of this forum.

Daily DBD Question #7

Kira4EvrKira4Evr Member Posts: 1,887

As we all know, The Spirit's primary way of tracking while using Yamaoka's Haunting is by listening to the different sounds that appear in the environment like Grass, footsteps, breathing, etc. Since her power pretty much makes all Tracking Perks useless since she can't see Auras or Blood.

This can make Spirit reasonably hard to pick up(or I'm just bad) since the Stridor nerf made Iron Will very strong against her. And it's a very common perk.

So the question is:

What if Spirit gained the ability to see Auras while phasing. It would make her power to synergise with more perks, but would that make her too strong or oppressive?

I especially want to hear @TheGannMan's answer... 😲

Comments

• DoritoHeadDoritoHead Member Posts: 3,334
    1. No, that’s broken.
    2. Gann and Spirit are done. Over. Cancelled.
  • Mister_xDMister_xD Member Posts: 7,525

The whole point of her power is predicting where the other side is going.

She should definitely not see auras while phasing, that would be busted.

• CaulDrohnCaulDrohn Member Posts: 1,025

Pls elaborate:

Do you mean for her to get auras with her base kit? Then HELL NO!

But if you mean she should be able to see auras given by perks even in phase, II would say why not? You could equip I'm All Ears with her phase nicely. Or if we say auras are too strong, we could think about her getting killer instinct in place of auras whenever she is phasing.

• Kira4EvrKira4Evr Member Posts: 1,887

Yea definitely not basekit. More like, being able to see Auras from perks like BBQ while in her power

• sizzlingmario4sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 2,944

No. That would be completely busted.

Let me remind you that op spoke about auras from perks, not as basekit. You do not have direct control over perk auras, since that usually requires the survivors to do certain actions (vaulting for I'm All Ears, Finishing gens for bitter murmur, healing for Nurses, cleansing for retribution). Undying might be troublesome, since the survs only have to be in range, but thats always the first hex gone. And for perk auras under your control, like BBQ, they typically activate when not in phase. So giving auras in phase does not change much for such perks.

So, could you elaborate why you think auras from perks would by such a big issue? Esp. considering that Nurse gets all that auras, too, and she can blink through objects, right onto your aura. Spirit can't do that in phase, is even hindered by windows and thrown down pallets.

• sizzlingmario4sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 2,944

I know they meant perks. That's still a big fat no from me.

The whole point of spirit's power is that neither side can see exactly where the other is, they can only rely on audio cues and things like blades of grass moving. Allowing the spirit to see the auras of survivors during phase would completely remove almost all counterplay survivors have.

If anything, Nurse SHOULDN'T be able to see auras while blinking.

• VeinslayVeinslay Member Posts: 1,118

I can't wait until the Iron Will change. I'm hoping it will make Spirit viable again.

• GentlemanFridgeGentlemanFridge Member Posts: 2,593

The wording seemed to suggest it as seeing all survivors aura when phasing. I.e., literal wallhacks just for holding M2. I’m sure you’ll agree that’s broken.

As for what they actually meant, I’m not sure. As someone else said, it goes against the idea of spirit stripping herself of information in favour of speed and invisibility. Moreover, when considering perks like Sadako’s scourge hook perk I forget the name of, it would still be literal wallhacks + speed.

I don’t think she needs it, I’ll put it that way.

But still there are just a handful of ways to get an aura mid chase, and then not even very often (looking at the I'm all ears cooldown). It might be giving you a surprise down from now or then, but that's far from being consistant. Watching the environment / hear for grunts or steps will always be more reliable.

I didn't think about Sadoko's Scourge Hook Perk, that might be a bit troublesome yeah.

Nurse not seeing auras while blinking would be nice ^^,

• TheGannManTheGannMan Member Posts: 9,369

So how is it fair an invisible killer with a big cooldown-less lunge can see exactly where the survivor is while in her power. That wouldn’t be fun for anyone.

• Mister_xDMister_xD Member Posts: 7,525

That is still way too good.

It would mean that Perks such as I'm All Ears would instantly become meta and anytime they triggered it'd basically be an undodgeable hit.

Maybe we could find a middleground by saying auras outside of a, let's say, 32m range of her current location, but even then I'm unsure how to feel about it.

• cheetocultleadercheetocultleader Member Posts: 1,194

I agree with the others it's too strong, but the crow perk (forget the name, alerts you when a crow is scared off) is pretty darn good on her.

• BranBran Member Posts: 1,470
    edited June 6

It'd be a good way to bring the kill back into killers. So it's fine

It's not that she would have aura vision all the time, but only when a perk triggers. And how many perks are there that would help reliably in a chase? I can only think off I'm all ears, since that triggers in a chase typically. But that can be somewhat countered by slow vaulting, which is already a tool used against phasing spirits. Sadakos Scourge hook might also be triggering in a chase more often, but thats not guaranteed.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not super invested into this idea, I don't really want to see this happen as well. But I see it as an interesting proposal, to think about what such a change would bring to the game. And all that the rejectors have brought forwards is an unspecific no, not really engaging in a discussion, what problematic combinations such a change would enable. That's a bit sad for me.

I doubt that it I'm all ears would be meta, and even so, don't we all want some shake up from the usual stacked regression perks? I also don't buy the undodgeable aspect, esp. if you know the spirit might have it and can plan for that. Sure it would help get some hits, but I'm all ears still has that lengthy 40 second cooldown. The more experienced the spirit player is, the less impactful that perk would be, imo.

• amazing_graceamazing_grace Member Posts: 655

I think the problem that most people have with it and are rejecting it outright without explanation because it kind of feels cheap to not be able to counter play the killer. That's one of the main issues people had with spirit before was that she felt like she didn't have a good counter to her power. You were almost always guaranteed to have to make a 50/50 which didn't feel like a good mechanic. Giving her the ability to make an aura focused build where she is almost guaranteed the down in chase no matter what doesn't feel good from the survivor side. The survivor can't mind game or do anything to prevent the damage or down because they can't see the killer and the killer knows exactly where they are.

Another issue that might arise from her being able to see auras is just the Mother Daughter Ring add on. It's tough enough to play against this add on at times, but add in aura reading during chase, it could just make it more overpowered at getting the damage state.

Do you know why Dried Cherry Blossom is unfun? It’s because it shows exactly where the survivor is with no counterplay. Imagine putting I’m All Ears and a 176% movement speed invisible killer with no turn restrictions can see exactly where the survivors is. I’ve played Spirit a ton, and I know this idea won’t work in the slightest.

Dried Chery Blossom has no cooldown and works without the survivors input, so no counterplay. It can trigger everywhere, in loops or off loops, and pretty much guarantees a hit.

I'm all ears has a lengthy cooldown, is triggered by survivors fast vaulting (so activation can be prevented/prolonged), so consequently can only trigger at a vault spot. If it's a rather long loop, chances are you cannot reach the survivor at the other side if they don't mess up / guess right. So the aura might help alot, but it's not as guaranteed as hit as with the addon, imo.

So I conclude, the addon is stronger.

But let me ask another, related thing: Why do you feel specifically that I'm all ears aura during phase would be busted, when we also have no aura restriction for nurse? Nurse can utitlize the info even better than Spirit. But still we see no Nurse + I'm all ears epidemic. Is it bc of the imbalance, that a surv cannot see spirit, but Spirit could see the survivor? Or is it the combination you described, knowing the location of a surv while being really fast and having an inc. lunge, without you being seen by the surv (at least the last aspect wouldn't be the case for a nurse playing the same)?

I don’t think cooldown has anything to do with it. I’m looking at scenarios where Spirit can pinpoint a survivor with no thought whatsoever. Part of what makes her fun (or was fun) and what makes her skill cap high is the ability to predict and track survivors based off sound and game sense. I don’t think having a cooldown to perks like I’m All Ears is a good enough excuse to remove that feature.

No one said that tracking by sound should be removed as acompensation for phase auras. But I think I understand where you are coming from.