Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

slugging, why does it make people mad?

ZachcjjjZachcjjj Member Posts: 452

and no im not talking about someone bleeding you out for 4 minutes im talking about a 2 or 3 slug because people were grouped up because realistically if you didnt get slugged by a plague oni or nurse its just unironically skill issue like the solution to slugging is just spread out it is so easy to counter slugging but if you let the killer do it, it is free pressure especially for someone like me who doesnt run slowdown i slug all the time for pressure

Comments

• SimfelizSimfeliz Member Posts: 2,016

It doesn't make me mad, It's just went someone sluggs me when there are 3 or 4 of us still alive and goes to chase someone else (especially if they are healthy) I'm just thinking "Let's just get this over with. Hook me". Yawn fest. But yeah, if you want to play like that I'm not going to complain about it or tell you that you are in the wrong. Do what works for you.

• prion11prion11 Member Posts: 211

people complain about short slugging by killers that easily keep people injured?

• rvzrvzrvzrvzrvzrvz Member Posts: 380

They're complaining about the knock out perk I guess ? It's kinda broken in solo queue you can't find ur mates

• nebneb Member Posts: 370

Slug to bleed out? Understandable why they're mad (unless they force it with boil over and rpd library or some crap like that).

Slug because im trying to get a 4k? Stupid. What, it's "sweaty" for me to slug to get a 4k, but you slam gens like your entire life depends on it and do the same with pallets? Nothing wrong with it, but don't judge me for "sweating" when you're sweating your bum off yourself.

• RyuhiRyuhi Member Posts: 1,937

Being bothered by slugging is half "laying on the floor doing nothing is boring and obnoxious" and half "LET. ME. WIN." The scenario generally dictates how much it leans into one side or the other. There's times where the killer hates having to slug (like 2-3 survivors hovering around a pallet that someone is downed under) but they do it anyway because they pretty much have to. Other times people use it to be asshats, and im sure there's plenty of middleground between the two.

• TragicSolitudeTragicSolitude Member Posts: 5,868
    edited June 14

I play killer, so I know slugging is necessary, but as a survivor it's not fun being slugged. At all. It's boring, survivors can't do anything while slugged, they can't make points. They're no longer playing a game, they're just waiting to be allowed to start playing again, whether that means being picked up by a teammate or killed so they can move on to the next match. If I could make BP in some way while slugged, I wouldn't mind so much. Instead, I get my fun by putting the controller down and getting birds. Birds are funny.

I'm not knocking killers for slugging, here. I'm knocking BHVR because this very common part of gameplay is in no way engaging.

• StarLostStarLost Member Posts: 6,293

Eh...like with most things, it depends.

From the killer's end - sometimes, it makes tactical sense.

From the survivor's end, tactical slugging and BM slugging can be different to distinguish, and it's never fun.

• Johnny_XManJohnny_XMan Member Posts: 5,864

You mean the non-existant book that was created by baby killer mains who complain about DH all the time. Yeah I'll pick up a copy.

• FilthyLegionMainFilthyLegionMain Member Posts: 861

Just the former for me. That's why I've been enjoying Video Horror Society. When you're down on the ground, you can still do stuff to help yourself and others.

edited June 14

Are you saying you've never been in a situation where a killer slugged because there were other survivors obviously nearby? Majority of times I ever see it anymore is to avoid a blind/stun/sabo/etc. Hook sabo especially since once you drop you're probably not going to be able to pick em back up to reach anything. Honestly hook denial in general is probably one of the leading causes of slugging, aside from stuff like IF on Nurse/Billy/Oni/etc.

• StarLostStarLost Member Posts: 6,293

The only times slugging really starts grinding my grapes is a Knockout Hag or Ghostface type who is just there to be a bastard.

• mistar_zmistar_z Member Posts: 815
    edited June 14

yeah sounds like it goes against the survivor rulebook ..

but honestly, its probably because you have to admit that you as a survivor made a bad call or ######### up massively to have multiple people slugged at once. there only 3-4 killers in the whole roster of 25 something killer that can down more than 2 survivors at once without them being able to recover in time.

for some killers like the twins, its actually impossible not to slug on them as the game is hellbent on punishing them from being able to hook a survivor after getting a successful down, so the game strong arms them into leaving the survivor on the ground a lot of the time.

the only form of slugging that I find irritating is slugging for the 4k, which can often turn a simple 8 minute match into a 20 minute long slog as the killer downs one person and chases another one repeating it 20 times until they both go down and the killer can hook them all. so in games like that you really should just let each other bleedout better to wait 4 minutes than to have to play for an extra 15 minutes where all three of you know that you've lost at that point..

• GloamGloam Member Posts: 539

Getting slugged in the middle of that game? Don't really care I don't mind chilling for a bit until I get picked up.

Getting slugged for 3 minutes because you wanna maybe 4k and the game basically already over is just wasting my time.

• WitchubtetWitchubtet Member Posts: 210

If I was dealing with some annoying survivors I slug them. If you’re just gonna hide next to a god loop the moment I see you then when I finally catch you I’ll leave you to crawl while I down your pallet buddies.

• dugmandugman Member Posts: 7,832

Except if you’re hooked you’re also not doing anything other than being on the hook. At least if you’re slugged you can move around, and if you’re slugged long enough survivors can instantly revive you by tapping on you. I would think survivors would rather be in a position of being slugged than being hooked.

• VampwireVampwire Member Posts: 532

Most people dont want to sit on the ground for 4 minutes. Its why you see people use things like unbreakable+soulgard. It's boring and you basically cant do anything but move around at a snail pace. It's not a hard thing to grasp. Imagine if survivors could make you stand in place for 4 whole minutes. You wouldn't like it.

Just have a little consideration for others. Is getting the 4k so important you have to keep someone in the game for longer than they should be? Plus where's the fun in it without the risk of hatch? There's no tension for it.

• SepexSepex Member Posts: 1,308

I'd rather crawl around on the ground then be on hook. Doesn't make me mad I'm grateful.

No. Now I'm starting to wonder why you're jumping to conclusions. If they down me and there's no other survivors in the area and they just let me bleed then yeah, I'll be annoyed since there's nothing to do but just HOLD M1 TO RECOVER. Also to @Vampwire's latest comment on this thread: You had me with you until the very end. No one can afford to consider the other's feelings since there's no guarantee they'll do the same. Best you can do is apologize, be kindhearted and hope for the best.

• TragicSolitudeTragicSolitude Member Posts: 5,868
    edited June 14

A while back I actually wrote a whole post about how survivors spend a lot of time in a position of not being able to do anything and how it's bad game design. Whether they're slugged, hooked, or dead and waiting for their friends to finish the match, survivors can possibly spend a very, very large percentage of their time playing this game not actually playing/participating.

But OP was specifically asking about slugging, so I stuck to talking about being slugged. On that topic, in solo queue, survivors will leave teammates on the ground for a very long time. I notice this as both a solo survivor and killer. I can spend two or three minutes on the ground being a tap away from revived despite there being three upright survivors, and I'm talking about when the killer is not camping my bleeding body.

edited June 14

Because I get annoyed by the scenarios where the killer has to slug me just as much as the ones where they do it to be a jerk. The difference is that I get annoyed at the teammates who would rather force a stalemate to prevent a hook than doing gens during the time the killer has to waste getting said hook.

• HectorBrandoHectorBrando Member Posts: 2,671

Because it deprives players of agency, being slugged has very little if any gameplay, you crawl around and wait until someone comes and picks you up, either another Survivor or the Killer and thats it, how delightely engaging...

Why do people hate camping, tunneling, being mass stuned, bodyblocked, slugged etc? Because it deprives them of control over their character, they dont get to play, only to wait until wathever is the other side doing is over so they can resume playing.

• Maelstrom808Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 141

I've had 3 slugged on the ground multiple times thanks to the altruism squad mobbing me on my way to hook someone. Usually I end up hooking two and getting the one that hit the ground first up by letting them wiggle off if they haven't gotten up by a 4th teammate by then. Then I just go kick some pallets or gens while they reset themselves and hopefully think about the validity of their original plan.

Oh then yeah, we are on completely different pages. I understand that a killer may have to in order to gain pressure. I'm just irked by the BM sort of slugging. I do think more could be added to that in order to make games interesting like having a whole minigame in itself such as: succeed random overcharge skill checks while recovering to increase crawling your speed and give a small bonus to your recovery progress.

• TheArbiterTheArbiter Member Posts: 1,322

People don't like it because there is no gameplay when you are bleeding out which is understandable. In most scenarios the killer slugs to apply pressure which makes sense. In some scenarios however the killer intentionally slugs everyone and makes them wait the full 4 minutes to bleed out which is annoying

• SlowpeachSlowpeach Member Posts: 429

Also hooking is the killers objective and you die on a hook much more quickly then you do being slugged.

There are a lot of issues with the design of this game that are stuck together like a web. For example you might slug because you know you can't make it to the hook, whether it's sabotaged or something else. In the case of sabotage you might drop a survivor who is nearly able to escape the wiggle. Picking them up at that point is foolish, yet say you down and hook the others. If you want the guaranteed 4k, you have to bleed them out, that's not fun for either side and one of many reasons I simply don't take the game seriously. I'll just pick the guy up and let them go unless they were really a jerk and asked to be slugged.

• MrCalac123MrCalac123 Member Posts: 1,130

It's boring

No shame in doing it, but sometimes you bleed out for 4 minutes and it sucks

• dugmandugman Member Posts: 7,832

I definitely agree with you about survivors having too much downtime, it’s one reason I never play survivor.

• danielmaster87danielmaster87 Member Posts: 6,536

They claim that they "can't even play the game" but I'm sure that a recovery from the ground in most of those matches and getting away is possible, assuming the killer isn't just staring at them on the ground or their teammates refusing to pick them up.