Dedicated Servers are coming to Dead by Daylight!
More information: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/33798/dedicated-servers-coming-summer-2019/p1?new=1

memory issues when launching with discord app open

So I've noticed a strange issue when I launch the game with the discord app open in the background of my pc. When its open in the background and I start up dbd through steam or discord my memory usage climbs and climbs and climbs until it reaches 100% when viewed in the task manager. However, when I close the discord app and launch the game this problem is nonexistent and the memory usage stays very stable.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling dbd and even trying the ptb to see if even that made a difference and it did not.

I've even tried to recreate this problem with other games but sadly it only happens with dbd. Anyone have any idea what this is about or how to fix it?

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, build 17134)
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1080 FE DirectX 12 GV-N1080D5X-8GD-B 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X ATX
CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3733 (PC4 29800)
Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake Quad-Core 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80677I77700K
Seagate FireCuda Gaming SSHD 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive ST2000DX002

Tagged:

Comments

• MandyTalkMandyTalk Mod Posts: 1,220

Do you have hardware acceleration switched on for Discord? I had a similar issue, it affected DBD and Subnautica only, none of my other games, once it was switched off I had no more problems and I could finally play Subnautica without huge fps drops!

Also check that your Nvidia drivers are up to date, there was one released in the last couple of days that was supposed to fix a few issues with the previous drivers.

• powerbatspowerbats Member Posts: 4,492

GetVideoDriverDetailsInvalid PrimaryIsNotTheChoosenAdapter

Driver Version: Unknown (internal:Unknown, unified:Unknown)

Those 2 lines stand out in your crash log with the 1st one implying that your video card isn't being used as your chosen default card. It would appear that your onboard graphics get chosen 1st, with your video card chosen 2nd.

The 2nd would imply your video driver is out of date since the latest is 417.22 released on December 3, 2018.

The only other thing I can see is it's using DX11 instead of 12 but not sure that has any bearing on it or is a culprit.

• evilsephd00devilsephd00d Member Posts: 2
    edited December 6

@MandyTalk @powerbats

Hey thanks for taking the time to respond to my issue! I looked into everything you guys suggested.

Turning off hardware acceleration in discord didn't have any effect on the memory issue.

I did a clean install of my nvidia drivers, and that didn't help. I even went into my bios and switched the gpu detection from auto to my actual graphics card and that didn't resolve the issue either. The only thing I didn't try was forcing the game to use dx12 over dx11 because I'm not sure how to do that...

HOWEVER! When I was fiddling around with the settings in discord I found out that if I disabled the discord in game overlay all my issues were resolved. Not sure why that in particular was spiking my memory usage for DBD but it seems to have been the fix.

Thanks again for your time!

• powerbatspowerbats Member Posts: 4,492

@evilsephd00d said:
    @MandyTalk @powerbats

Hey thanks for taking the time to respond to my issue! I looked into everything you guys suggested.

Turning off hardware acceleration in discord didn't have any effect on the memory issue.

I did a clean install of my nvidia drivers, and that didn't help. I even went into my bios and switched the gpu detection from auto to my actual graphics card and that didn't resolve the issue either. The only thing I didn't try was forcing the game to use dx12 over dx11 because I'm not sure how to do that...

HOWEVER! When I was fiddling around with the settings in discord I found out that if I disabled the discord in game overlay all my issues were resolved. Not sure why that in particular was spiking my memory usage for DBD but it seems to have been the fix.

Thanks again for your time!

Well glad to hear it's fixed and I know they posted in I believe the technical support forum FAQ sticky about the overlays causing issues. I used to have that very same issue in Creativerse but it was the Steam overlay being enabled that'd cause cpu usage to skyrocket and fps to drop to almosting nothing.

• MandyTalkMandyTalk Mod Posts: 1,220

Great news, glad you fixed it. Have fun with your games.