Home Feedback Feedback and Suggestions

Remove safety pip

One good way to fix the ranking system would be to remove the safety.
It is almost impossible to get deranked by a couple of bad matches.
Which actually should happen.
If you perform bad at the current rank, you should get deranked,to your own good.
You -or me- don't belong at that rank and constantly having bad matches and ranking up anyway is not "fun".
Right now losing a pip is really rare, while gaining a single pip is pretty common. So basically anybody can rank up as long as he plays enough matches.
If the removal of a safety pip blocks someone from ranking up, he should stay lower anyway.
I myself would still rank up, but I would get slowed down and could enjoy the game longer, because I would stay away from the toxic high ranks longer.

Comments

  • tt_ivi_99tt_ivi_99 Member Posts: 1,268
    Wolf74 said:

    One good way to fix the ranking system would be to remove the safety.
    It is almost impossible to get deranked by a couple of bad matches.
    Which actually should happen.
    If you perform bad at the current rank, you should get deranked,to your own good.
    You -or me- don't belong at that rank and constantly having bad matches and ranking up anyway is not "fun".
    Right now losing a pip is really rare, while gaining a single pip is pretty common. So basically anybody can rank up as long as he plays enough matches.
    If the removal of a safety pip blocks someone from ranking up, he should stay lower anyway.
    I myself would still rank up, but I would get slowed down and could enjoy the game longer, because I would stay away from the toxic high ranks longer.

    Really like the idea, I've been facing both survivors and killers who are just terrible but there they are, at rank 1. Farming also helps but without the save pip they would get back to the rank they really belong to. It would make matches way more enjoyable since you'd allways be playing with people of the same skill lvl.
  • Keene_KillsKeene_Kills Member Posts: 649
    edited December 2018

    110% behind this idea. I enjoy spreading out and playing different characters, killer and survivor. Hard to start playing a new one fresh with just a mediocre load of perks right now when you're higher ranked. Even if you sucked during the match, you still usually safety pip and it's an actual chore to derank to where you should be playing with that character. Different on survivor, as it's all the same besides the perks you've opened... especially so on killer where you have to learn the new mechanics and their core differences. Even if you've saved up a full BP load to drop and open more perks on a new character, you still have to get used to playing them and that's one helluva' frustrating experience with sweaty folks swarming you like fruit flies.

  • The_CrusaderThe_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688
    Lol no?

    Getting camped out of the game and being forced to de-pip. Maybe if you manage to evvade a bit and go at least 1 gen first you might safety pip.

    For killer i would agree. You can donlittle more than sneeze as killer and still safety pip.

    I tjhnk the whole scoring system needs an overhaul. Point for unhooking need to go as this just has survivors all competing for those points and so you get rushed unhooks. Just have points for healing and taking hits for other people.
  • Wolf74Wolf74 Member Posts: 2,959

    Yes, as you can imagine I am looking at this issue from the perspective of a killer main, but if you play survivor and depip so often that it stops you from ranking up, just because the killer finds you first and camps you right out of the game, you should start rethinking your playstyle.

  • tt_ivi_99tt_ivi_99 Member Posts: 1,268
    Lol no?

    Getting camped out of the game and being forced to de-pip. Maybe if you manage to evvade a bit and go at least 1 gen first you might safety pip.

    For killer i would agree. You can donlittle more than sneeze as killer and still safety pip.

    I tjhnk the whole scoring system needs an overhaul. Point for unhooking need to go as this just has survivors all competing for those points and so you get rushed unhooks. Just have points for healing and taking hits for other people.
    I dont know abou you man, but I'm facing and playing with bad players a lot, and Im rank 1 on both killer and survivors. 

    As survivor: Teammates are just terrible, wasting pallets, unhooking when they shouldnt, giving free hits, not protecting after unhooks, etc.

    As killer: Facing these kind of survivors is just not fun. I've gotten used to play against high lvl survivors and I enjoy playing against them because they are a real challenge. If I get bad survivors the match just ends in 5 min, there is no fun in that.

    Getting people on they rank they deserve is pretty good idea if you ask me.

  • OrionOrion Member Posts: 11,721
    edited December 2018

    A good ranking system shouldn't try to compensate for the odd rounds when you get unlucky. If you're meant to be at a higher rank, your overall winrate will determine your rank; not any one round where you got unlucky.
    Inversely, if the ranking system overcompensates for unlucky rounds, people with a low skill level will end up at a high rank. The safety/black pip is a good example of this.
    I wholeheartedly agree with this idea.

  • WaharaWahara Member Posts: 215
    edited December 2018

    You could just refine the scoring system to be more accurate, like say, creating extra emblem bars that assess other areas of skill.

    The only reason I don't like the idea of removing the safety pip is that while it's true if your meant to be in a high rank, you'll get to a high rank, you can come across a lot of [BAD WORD] matches in a row. As survivor I've depipped from rank 1 to rank 4 and then back to rank 1 again. There's too much variance in RNG, how close you spawn to the killer, how quickly ruin is found, etc.

    I don't want to be punished with a depip when I know I played well.

  • Mister_xDMister_xD Member Posts: 4,094

    but how am i supposed to play legion on rank 1 without instantly depipping then? :c

  • OrionOrion Member Posts: 11,721
    edited December 2018

    @Wahara said:
    You could just refine the scoring system to be more accurate, like say, creating extra emblem bars that assess other areas of skill.

    The only reason I don't like the idea of removing the safety pip is that while it's true if your meant to be in a high rank, you'll get to a high rank, you can come across a lot of [BAD WORD] matches in a row. As survivor I've depipped from rank 1 to rank 4 and then back to rank 1 again. There's too much variance in RNG, how close you spawn to the killer, how quickly ruin is found, etc.

    I don't want to be punished with a depip when I know I played well.

    Your skill should outweigh RNG's influence in all but the most extreme of cases. If you're relying on RNG going your way, then you're not as skilled as you think.

  • WaharaWahara Member Posts: 215
    edited December 2018

    Didn't I just grant you that that your skill would carry you to high rank irrespective of RNG?

    "All but the most extreme" like, if you consider 1 in every 10 matches (easy) the most extreme of cases.

    There's also the fact to consider that you may not necessarily be playing badly, but the opponent you're going up against is simply superior. I don't think it's fair that I should depip if I'm still playing well and making decent plays but my opponent is simply a caliber above me.

    In my opinion, a depip should be given if you're playing like [BAD WORD], not simply because you lost. I think that was the entire concept behind safety pips to begin with, and it's a good one. You seem to main killer based on your posts. Do you think you should depip against a team of DS?

  • OrionOrion Member Posts: 11,721

    @Wahara said:
    Didn't I just grant you that that your skill would carry you to high rank irrespective of RNG?

    "All but the most extreme" like, if you consider 1 in every 10 matches (easy) the most extreme of cases.

    There's also the fact to consider that you may not necessarily be playing badly, but the opponent you're going up against is simply superior. I don't think it's fair that I should depip if I'm still playing well and making decent plays but my opponent is simply a caliber above me.

    In my opinion, a depip should be given if you're playing like [BAD WORD], not simply because you lost. I think that was the entire concept behind safety pips to begin with, and it's a good one.

    So you're claiming that in 10% of all trials, you get screwed by RNG. That means that in 90%, the result depends on your skill. 10% is an acceptable margin of error.
    Yes, it sucks to get deranked because of bad RNG, but no more so than the loss itself. You cannot account for bad RNG in a ranking system.

    Assuming the rank system works well, if your opponent is superior, then you're simply overranked. It is wholly fair that you should derank if you're faced with someone who's better than you, because it means your current rank is too high compared to your skill level.

  • WaharaWahara Member Posts: 215

    It works well-ish. I guess if you want to remove the safety pip than fine, but before we could even consider that, you would have to refine the ranking system to be a much more approximate determination of skill. Because as it stands, and as I've mentioned in previous posts, people that are good at the game and people that are God like at the game are both in the same spot, rank one, and that's a problem.

    If the ranking system was accurate enough to determine that your loss was simply because you were over ranked, then yes, away with the safety pip. At the moment the ranking system is good at putting you in a rough ball park of skill but that's it. You can expect rank 1's to generally be decent, but if I have my ass handed to me by 5k plus hour P3 nurse, depipping isn't an indication I was over ranked. It's an indication that the ranking system needs an extra something to account for the greats.

  • papaiursopapaiurso Member Posts: 112

    Hmm... I kinda like the idea.

  • Wolf74Wolf74 Member Posts: 2,959

    @Wahara said:
    Because as it stands, and as I've mentioned in previous posts, people that are good at the game and people that are God like at the game are both in the same spot, rank one, and that's a problem.

    That's the point.
    "God player" won't be affected anyway, because they will pip anyway and never needed the safety pip to begin with.
    But it would spread out the player a little better and more according to their real performance.

  • conthegodoffireconthegodoffire Member Posts: 16

    I like the idea of getting rid of it.

Sign In or Register to comment.