We are aware of a current issue going around affecting most forum users. Affected users received this message upon log in: "You need to reset your password. This is most likely because an administrator recently changed your account information. Click here to reset your password."

We are currently investigating this incident.
The November 2019 Developer Update is now available: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/103996/
Chapter 14 Teaser:
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

DBD Killer Timeline

VolantConch1719VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 403
edited November 7 in Lore

Since I have nothing better to do, I decided to put together a timeline for when each Killer's story took place. This took, honestly not that much time, but some of it is obviously questionable. And since a lot of these stories could have taken place during a large time period, obviously some Killers are in the wrong spot, but this is the best I could do.

Obviously, Adiris the Plague is the oldest Killer in the game. Babylon existed during 2300-539 BC. Using the knowledge that all the other priests got sick, I interpret that as towards the end of Babylon's reign. But since every time I look up Babylonian plagues, I instead get an album from a band called Iced Earth or the Ten Plagues of Egypt from Exodus, I'm just going to leave it at that. Either way, she is infected (likely through that toe she chopped off, exposing herself to the plague) and exiled herself. I will say this though, since it confuses me. WHY DID THE ENTITY TAKE ADIRIS??? NEVER ONCE DOES SHE KILL SOMEONE!!! Either way, she was desperate and prayed to her gods, and got the Entity instead.

Anna the Huntress comes from WWI. During the last paragraph of her backstory, it is mentioned that German soldiers are "on the march to attack the collapsing Russian Empire." Notice it says RUSSIAN rather than SOVIET. The German invasion of Russia occurred in 1914 (although I am currently unable to find that information now. Stupid Google search not liking me). She was taken by the Entity after the war ended, in 1918.

Sally the Nurse appears to either be around the time of WWI or WWII, judging by her outfit. If she is from WWI (EDIT: March 6: Which I believe to be the case due to her base outfit saying it is from the early 1920's, not mid), it would make her the third oldest Killer. But if she is from WWII, then Kenneth/Jeffrey begins before her. But his is a bit complicated, and will span a few other Killers' backstories.

Either way, since two decades pass during Sally's backstory, and I don't think they would change the Nurse dress code simply because of money restrictions, her story seems to end around (based on her being from WWI) the 1930's (EDIT March 19: which her base cosmetic description seems to infer) or (based on her being from WWII) the 1950's-1960's. She kills everyone in the asylum and presumably crashes the ambulance, killing everyone in it, before getting the Entity treatment

As I said, Kenneth's backstory takes place over a long time. We actually have an exact year for it's beginning. "Kenneth Chase was born in 1932 by a difficult labour, which his mother wouldn't survive." Doesn't get any more crystal clear. The last year mentioned is 1954, which also coincides with when I believe Evan the Trapper's backstory to occur.

Given that Evan and his father very clearly don't allow a union, they are either relatively new or really picking up speed. And given their extreme measures, I would believe unions to be nearing their peak in all honesty (also, since unions were around since 1881, they can't be a new thing, since Anna's story occurs well after that, and remember, she is the second. Obviously, Evan blows people up, and the Entity gets him.

While all of this is going on, the Cold War is in full swing and the CIA is likely getting Soviet spies. And who was hired by the CIA for interrogation? Herman Carter. The Doctor. Mr. Lag Attack himself (seriously, my computer is amazing but I lag every time against and as him). Presumably, he was hired around 1967, as that was when the Institute became a front for the CIA (thanks again Rattman). More on this in a bit.

Kenneth, now going by the name of Jeffrey, goes on for another decade, bringing us to the 1960's once again. I honestly can't tell how much time passes, but eventually, he rides his carriage into the Entity's realm. I'd say this takes place around the 1970's, but again, there are no real markers to tell us.

We pick back up for a brief moment for Herman for the 1970's, as the Institute thrived, and Project Awakening began. But there isn't too much else to tell for a little bit.

I'm just going to put Lisa the Hag here, in the 1970's, but she is one of the really annoying ones. There are NO markers to tell us when her story takes place (except for a few things about her home being from the 1800's, like the lightbulbs and paddleboats, but she wasn't before Anna), but I'm placing her here since, from what I can tell, the 1970's brought a resurgence of witch culture, which Lisa has plenty of. Even her WIP name was the Witch. But again, her story could have taken place at any time.

Hillbilly and Rin the Spirit are in the same boat. I would place Hillbilly sometime between the 1970's and 1980's, which is when the Poulan 306a was in production. Why is this important. Well... once again, there are no significant markers for Hillbilly, but I would assume he and Leatherface use the same chainsaw. (EDIT March 19, they VERY clearly don't use the same chainsaw. Just compare them for yourself at the store. I did however, while looking through things, noticed that the Coldwind Farm says "After the horrific events of 1972, the building fell into disrepair and eventual ruin." on the Thompson House map. So, that might be the best time to put him.) If someone can actually tell me what model of chainsaw Hillbilly (who is UNNAMED officially, but the wiki calls him Max Jr. [Edit - as DocOctober brought up, he is named Max Thompson Jr. in an official artbook, although his lore makes no mention of it for some reason) uses, then do so. I'm not a chainsaw expert.

Rin is the MOST complicated. Her story has no years, no significant events to talk about, and none of her add-ons help. I thought that her baseball cap would be something, but sport caps were invented in 1849, which is WAY before Anna. Then something caught my eye. "That evening, Rin came home from work. She'd stayed late to entertain customers that lingered at the restaurant. As she parked her bike in the shed, she heard her mother's scream the house."

As she parked her bike (I have no clue how to increase the font size here, so bolding will do). What's the relevance of this? Bikes weren't introduced to Japan until 1971! I can't place her exactly, but I can tell her story takes place after this. We will have to deal with this.
Of course, that was no help. As GamingZebra pointed out, the Japanese military used bikes in their invasion of China in WWII. So Rin is a serious issue that needs addressing. She is probably pretty modern, as PigNRun says, since she was working at a young age and her father was a salary person, but we might have to wait for something more concrete with her (got it, as I'll explain below).

If you count the licensed Killers as canon (which I do), then Leatherface arrived in 1974. My evidence is plain and simple. Texas Chainsaw Massacre was released in this year. Although, I have personally never seen the movie, so this could be different and I would have no idea.

Same goes for Michael Myers. Halloween was released in 1978, but I can actually find the timeline there. The movie starts in 1963, then 15 years later, Michael goes on his killing spree. 1963 + 15 equals 1978, so that adds up. But I am not putting Freddy here, because, like it or not, the in game Freddy is from the remake.

EDIT (January 17): The Léry's Memorial Institute was condemned in 1983, allowing us to take a break from liscensed killers and finishing off Herman Carter. After his experiments become torture to find mind control, he murders everyone and the Entity finds him.

~~Also in 1983 (winter, probably after Doctor was taken), we have the Demogorgon... I think. I've never seen Stranger Things, don't have Netflix, so everything I know about it is from the wiki for Stranger Things. Now, from what I can tell, the main Demogorgon that was seen was in Season One, taking place in 1983, with the ones in Season Two not being full grown, and only being seen in the final scene of Season Three. Seems pretty self explanatory.
Then I read the items. We have things from Season One (Barb's Glasses) and Season Two (Mew's Guts). This throws everything out of order. On top of this, the map is a mish-mash of everything AND some original stuff, and the Survivors are wearing their Season One outfits by default, but their quotes are from all over the place. And the lore is VERY vague about everything to do with Chapter 13 (and I hate this kind of lazy storytelling). Even the way the Demogorgon was taken is not in its backstory, but rather hidden away IN ITS POWER!!! And it was just a hole that opened up and swallowed it. Nothing about how the Entity controls it, or how the Demogorgon reacted. Nope. Just a hole in the ground and boom, we have a Demogorgon.
Through all of this, I have lost my mind several times over, and still can't confidently place it. So why 1983? It makes sense. This is the Demogorgon that we saw in the first season (well, everyone but me it seems). I mean, sure. This could just be some RANDOM Demogorgon that the Entity RANDOMLY decided to grab... but that's just boring. And it matches with the design of Nancy and Steve being from Season One (and say what you will about them being older than 16 and 17, even in Season Three, they are 18 and 19, still below the normal age. You say they are from Season Three, you break the "No teenagers" rule, and you will have a hard time explaining it away. Avoiding bad PR is good, but you can't expect everyone to believe it forever). This IS the ORIGINAL Demogorgon. It's the only thing that makes sense. And yes, I read that the original got blown up or something... but be honest. Do you REALLY want a boring, RANDOM Demogorgon over the original one that we had?~~
(EDIT: October 15) So. We have a problem. As Mikeadatrix pointed out, the Demogorgon we have uses the Season 3 model, seen at the very end. Because I have never seen the show, I assumed they were pretty much the same model from the first season, but it turns out they are not. From a logical standpoint, and the one I now believe to be most likely, this makes this the Season 3 Demogorgon. It makes sense. The items, quotes, map, everything. It works with this being the Season 3 Demogorgon. from a story standpoint, however, it's... disappointing. And it just doesn't feel right. It makes sense, but it doesn't, if that makes any sense. I guess it's better than a RANDOM Demogorgon, but not by much. So, 1985 is my current final answer.

Next up, we have Philip the Wraith. I put him in the 1990's as this was when the Russian mob appears to have been the most active. Why am I talking about the Russian mob? Philip's boss is named Azarov. Azarov is a Russian surname. He disposes of people using a car crusher. To me, that seems like a VERY mob-like way to get rid of someone. On a side note, why DID the Entity take Philip. Is it the same as Rin, where the Entity picked up on his anger or something?

For all the hell that Chapter 12 was, from Danny Johnson's initial powerlessness to not having a map or Survivor, there is one thing that they did pretty well. The lore. Told in the style of a newspaper, we get to somewhat know who Danny/Jed Olsen/Ghost Face really is. And they give us a pretty much exact date. The newspaper is a week old, published on June 18, 1993 (can we just appreciate how this is also his release date? Again, for the hell that it has been, BHVR has seriously impressed me as well). So he was taken roughly around June 25, 1993. Thanks for making my job easier here.

The Legion would be in the same boat as Rin, maybe even worse, if it wasn't for Susie. Normally, I wouldn't consider cosmetics to be canon, but the devs seem to have out of their way to give us a year with Susie that I'll consider her two cosmetics canon. Her sweater on both of them give us the year 1996 (also shown in their photo that takes you to Ormond). They kill the janitor and get grabbed by the Entity (unfortunately, as I've figured out in the past, they are NOT grabbed with Jeff, which is a wasted opportunity and a half).

EDIT: As of January 15, I have actually found something for Rin. It is far simpler than I had originally believed, which is probably why I missed it in all honesty. The university she goes to, Takamatsu, wasn't established until 1996. Meaning this is the EARLIEST year she can be from, and I'd wager that she's probably later than that. But that's as far as I can go with her.

The final two are easy. Amanda's story includes her death from Saw III. "She failed the test and took a bullet as a consequence. Bleeding out on the tiled floor, darkness engulfed Amanda's vision, accompanied by a sound like creaking wood." With Saw III being released in 2006, it feels to me like that is when her story takes place.

And once again, Freddy Krueger is from the 2010 remake of A Nightmare on Elm Street, likely because they couldn't get the rights to Robert Englund's character, so they settled with Jackie Earle Haley instead (I know people are going to hate me for this, but I like this version of Freddy a little bit more, just without the sexual predator part. Englund's version got a bit too comical, and I like the burn effects).

TL;DR
Plague (Roughly 539BC)
Huntress (1918)
Nurse (1930s/1950s-60s)
Trapper (1954)
Clown (1970s)
Hillbilly (1972)
Leatherface (1974)
Michael (1978)
Doctor (1983)
Demogorgon (1985)
Wraith (1990s)
Ghost Face (1993)
Legion (1996)
Spirit (Post 1996)
Pig (2006)
Freddy (2010)
(Hag has no clear time markers, so I left her out of the TL;DR)

That took way too long to type. If there are any glaring issues, please tell me. I'll see what I can do to fix them.

Post edited by VolantConch1719 on

Comments

• DocOctoberDocOctober Member Posts: 2,230

Just want to throw this in: Max Jr. is Billy's official name, not just "what the Wiki came up with". It was revealed in the Artbook, which the Trivia section clearly states.

• VolantConch1719VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 403
    edited December 2018

@DocOctober said:
    Just want to throw this in: Max Jr. is Billy's official name, not just "what the Wiki came up with". It was revealed in the Artbook, which the Trivia section clearly states.

Yeah, I worded that terribly. I just find it odd that an official book gives him a name, but the lore doesn't. I usually do refer to him as Max, but this was based on lore, not many outside sources. I'll fix it though

Fixed

• GamingZebra88GamingZebra88 Member Posts: 28
    Uhhhh... You do realise that the Japanese army used bicycles to travel around when invading China in the 30s... Right? And I'd say the spirit is a bit older since Japanese people are less about honour nowadays. And the legion could be very modern. The clown really does throw a spanner in the work but I think you've done a good job placing him. A lot of killers stories are ambiguous about time other than a select few. So the next killer is the furthest back in time by a long shot apparently... Either it's a medieval knight gone mad or it could be a cowboy or a pirate. Thoughts?

@GamingZebra88 said:
    Uhhhh... You do realise that the Japanese army used bicycles to travel around when invading China in the 30s... Right? And I'd say the spirit is a bit older since Japanese people are less about honour nowadays. And the legion could be very modern. The clown really does throw a spanner in the work but I think you've done a good job placing him. A lot of killers stories are ambiguous about time other than a select few. So the next killer is the furthest back in time by a long shot apparently... Either it's a medieval knight gone mad or it could be a cowboy or a pirate. Thoughts?

I did not know that about the Japanese army. That really messes up where Rin is. Probably modern yes, but that's all.

As I said with Legion, I normally don't consider skins canon, but I got that year from Susie. Don't know how long she had it though.

As for the next killer, I'm hoping for some type of Victorian era killer. A pirate would be cool though.

Actually, victorian era is close to Anna. So that wouldn't work.

• PigNRunPigNRun Member Posts: 2,024
    edited January 1
    No, Rin is definitely one of the "newer" killers in the timeline. She has an add-on called "Muddy Sports Day Cap". Sports Day started happening in the 60s in Japan, so she was alive at least after the 80s.

Also, working at a youngish age on a restaurant, her father working on a factory as an accountant or administrative position, those are fairly modern concepts.
  • Shad03Shad03 Member Posts: 3,728

I do like this, and I feel you did a "pretty good job so far", I will have to disagree with you not counting the Legions cosmetics (I refer to Susie and Joe. I assume you count Julie as canon, if not I will fight you >_>). The Devs had went out of their way to include all (disregarding that you have to buy the last two members who are worth more then the dlc combined) four teens as The Legion. Also the cosmetics change the voice (Frank and Julie being the only two with different voices), while this doesn't impact the game as much, it shows that cosmetics for the most part with the Legion is actually canon.

That is legitimately the only problem I have with this post. Otherwise keep up the good work ^^

I'd like to believe Jeff was also grabbed with The Legion but that's just me

• XxAtomicAlfiexXXxAtomicAlfiexX Member Posts: 395
    edited January 4

the trapper is from the 19th century (1800-1900) i think.

• PigNRunPigNRun Member Posts: 2,024

Something about Legion, its actually really clear where their spot is in the timeline outside cosmetics. Look at the Ormond realm offering (Damaged Photo). It shows the four Legion members and is inscribed with the date it was taken "Aug. 28th, '96". So, they were definitely around in 1996. Doesnt mean they were grabbed by the Entity at that exact date (maybe a few years later), but their spot is mostly clear.

@XxAtomicAlfiexX said:

That would make him the oldest Killer, which we know is not the case.

There is a vast monster of a man with a hideous grin torn across the mask that keeps stalking my every move. Similar to a hunter, he tracks us, priming devastating traps amongst the greenery. Extreme vigilance and a light step is essential in avoiding the blood-curdling clench of a bear trap or the clutches of what I've taken to calling "The Miserable Smiling Killer". I have but many times managed to get caught in one of these traps. I have nothing but a fear for the feeling of blunt trap spikes grinding against my bones or for the heavy and deliberate footsteps which always inevitably reveal a plastered, sadistic grin. With the traps and the Trapper, it has so far been a constant battle between looking up and looking down. „
    ~ Benedict Baker's Journal, Nov. 1896 on The Trapper

proof for my point from earlier.

@DocOctober said:

@XxAtomicAlfiexX said:

there is a new comment off of me that was typed yesterday but i just posted which is my proof he is the oldest killer.

@XxAtomicAlfiexX said:
    There is a vast monster of a man with a hideous grin torn across the mask that keeps stalking my every move. Similar to a hunter, he tracks us, priming devastating traps amongst the greenery. Extreme vigilance and a light step is essential in avoiding the blood-curdling clench of a bear trap or the clutches of what I've taken to calling "The Miserable Smiling Killer". I have but many times managed to get caught in one of these traps. I have nothing but a fear for the feeling of blunt trap spikes grinding against my bones or for the heavy and deliberate footsteps which always inevitably reveal a plastered, sadistic grin. With the traps and the Trapper, it has so far been a constant battle between looking up and looking down. „

Time is something that is either non-existent or have little meaning. Benedict is from around that timeline, but since time is wobbly this means the Trapper could have went into the Entity's realm earlier then Benedict despite being from the future. Confirmed by Devs with some of the killers and survivors.

edited January 4

@Shad03 said:

@XxAtomicAlfiexX said:

Time is something that is either non-existent or have little meaning. Benedict is from around that timeline, but since time is wobbly this means the Trapper could have went into the Entity's realm earlier then Benedict despite being from the future. Confirmed by Devs with some of the killers and survivors.

that makes little sense to me. we know the events at macmilan estate happen 1st because of benidict's journal so why would the entity take anyone else 1st.

can anybody tell me where it is said the the huntress happens 1st? if its something from a stream or something the devs said then i probably haven't seen it.

@XxAtomicAlfiexX said:

@Shad03 said:

@XxAtomicAlfiexX said:

that makes little sense to me. we know the events at macmilan estate happen 1st because of benidict's journal so why would the entity take anyone else 1st.

The Huntress exists. In your logic that means Benedict would have to go back in time (or forward) to write something about her. Time doesn't really matter in a place like the universe of DbD.

I will throw you a bone and say that maybe the Entity could have taken Evan first, and then go back in time (forward for you) to get Anna.

@Shad03 said:

@XxAtomicAlfiexX said:

@Shad03 said:

@XxAtomicAlfiexX said:

The Huntress exists. In your logic that means Benedict would have to go back in time (or forward) to write something about her. Time doesn't really matter in a place like the universe of DbD.

I will throw you a bone and say that maybe the Entity could have taken Evan first, and then go back in time (forward for you) to get Anna.

the most i have read is from benidicts journal and that makes it seem like the evan came first but i must be missing a few things.

@XxAtomicAlfiexX said:

@Shad03 said:

@XxAtomicAlfiexX said:

@Shad03 said:

@XxAtomicAlfiexX said:

the most i have read is from benidicts journal and that makes it seem like the evan came first but i must be missing a few things.

The point of the matter is that Evan came from a latter point in the timeline. Hell, Benedict shouldn't even KNOW what a chainsaw is. Given what time he himself came from. And from what it looks like, the Hillbilly is using the more modern (190xish) chainsaw. Something that wasn't around in the 1800s.

Again, Evan could have ended up there first Lore wise, but he is not the oldest, and other killers could have been there but the Devs could just have made Evan. The OP, as far as I'm aware, was only doing killer timelines (their periods in time before they were taken) not who was the first killer in the realm.

@Shad03 said:

@XxAtomicAlfiexX said:

@Shad03 said:

@XxAtomicAlfiexX said:

i have just gone and re-read his journal pages but the 1st one says he started his search in 1956 but his page on trapper it says its from 1896. in the entitys realm i doubt there is any way of knowing the time let alone knowing you've gone back in time. wtf is up with that im so confused.

@XxAtomicAlfiexX said:

@Shad03 said:

@XxAtomicAlfiexX said:

@Shad03 said:

@XxAtomicAlfiexX said:

i have just gone and re-read his journal pages but the 1st one says he started his search in 1956 but his page on trapper it says its from 1896. in the entitys realm i doubt there is any way of knowing the time let alone knowing you've gone back in time. wtf is up with that im so confused.

I realized that this conversation does not matter here. As this is not about who the first Killer is, it's about when their stories happened. It has been confirmed in a Dev stream that The Huntress is the oldest (Time Wise) then the others, which means the MacMillan events occurred later.

@Shad03 said:

@XxAtomicAlfiexX said:

@Shad03 said:

@XxAtomicAlfiexX said:

@Shad03 said:

@XxAtomicAlfiexX said:

I realized that this conversation does not matter here. As this is not about who the first Killer is, it's about when their stories happened. It has been confirmed in a Dev stream that The Huntress is the oldest (Time Wise) then the others, which means the MacMillan events occurred later.

ok if the devs confirmed it then there is no point in arguing. this would probably place evans story in the late 1920s or the early 1930s which was what i originally thought before i read benidicts journal.

@DocOctober said:

@XxAtomicAlfiexX said:

there is a new comment off of me that was typed yesterday but i just posted which is my proof he is the oldest killer.

The Journal is wrong. It's 1956 when Benedict enters the Realm of the Entity. 1856 is the wrong date. The devs have stated it as a typo long ago.

@Shad03, In regards to the Legion, yes, I consider Julie canon. I just don't consider the SKIN they gave to us for Joey to be canon. He is canon himself, just not that skin.
    And about Jeff being taken with the Legion, I would love that to be true, but that leaves a very large plot hole of Jeff's story taking place over a much longer period of time than Legion. I've discussed this in a more in depth discussion that was buried somewhere a little while ago.

@VolantConch1719 said:
    @Shad03, In regards to the Legion, yes, I consider Julie canon. I just don't consider the SKIN they gave to us for Joey to be canon. He is canon himself, just not that skin.
    And about Jeff being taken with the Legion, I would love that to be true, but that leaves a very large plot hole of Jeff's story taking place over a much longer period of time than Legion. I've discussed this in a more in depth discussion that was buried somewhere a little while ago.

Aw. Well thanks for letting me know. Personally the only thing I don't like about Joe's skin are those pants. Entity please take me away from them. I'll be sure to look for your post, should be easy enough.

• VolfawottVolfawott Member Posts: 1,978

Why not consider Joey's outfit cannon

@Aari_Piggy66 said:
    VolantConch1719 said:

@VolantConch1719 I did some looking, Joey's outfit is actually his canon look. If you look at the teaser poster (the first[?] picture of Legion) you can see Joey very faintly with the clothed mask that he wears in his outfit in the store. So his outfit is canon, unfortunately.

@Aari_Piggy66 It shouldn't be canon. But I understand why OP does not consider the skin canon.

• VolfawottVolfawott Member Posts: 1,978
    Shad03 said:

@Aari_Piggy66 said:
    VolantConch1719 said:

@VolantConch1719 I did some looking, Joey's outfit is actually his canon look. If you look at the teaser poster (the first[?] picture of Legion) you can see Joey very faintly with the clothed mask that he wears in his outfit in the store. So his outfit is canon, unfortunately.

@Aari_Piggy66 It shouldn't be canon. But I understand why OP does not consider the skin canon.

Every legion member is meant to have their own look along the theme of hoodie and mask.
    The only reason Frank and Julie have matching outfits is because they're dating.

@Aari_Piggy66 I know that, and Frankly, I don't mind that. Just... I don't like Joey's pants.

@Shad03 said:

@Aari_Piggy66 said:
    VolantConch1719 said:

I see now. Very faint, but existent in the Legion selection and teaser picture pictures. Okay then.

So it is canon. Looks like I have a slight bit of editing to do.

• colerationcoleration Member Posts: 3

Hey, came to say you're probably dead on about Leatherface in '74, not just because that's when the movie comes out, but the Vietnam war ended in 1975, and in the first movie from '74, Leatherface's brother Chop-top was in vietnam, but he wasn't made cannon till the second film, unlike his identical twin Nubbins who dies at the end of the first, and who is also mentioned by quote in game, so it's safe to assume, since Nubbins was quoted but not Chop-top Leatherface was taken in '74 before his other brother managed to return from war.