The 3.2.0 update is now live on PC and consoles. For more information, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87832/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

High ping for no known reason

Basically, this is my network connection. The ping in particular is on point.
But unfortunately, the game doesn't recognize me as being in Brazil.

In Brazilian rooms, I have a really high ping, even though my IP is from Brazil, and in EVERY other game besides DBD (for example, League of Legends, Rainbow Six Siege, Maplestory 2), I play with 4~22 ping.

I can't type in portuguese, the client doesn't understand some characters, like "ã õ ç", and it puts a ? in place of the character I intended to use.

Is there any way to change my location in the game? My download server is from São Paulo, Brazil on the steam app, and I can't find any option about this in the in game files.

I want to play the game again, but with pings high like these, it's impossible.

Tagged:

Comments

• RozenliedRozenlied Member Posts: 22

Just for clarity reasons, I play in English because I hate portuguese.

• Slay___Slay___ Member Posts: 246

The ping is time between you and the host measured in milliseconds.

The test website probably uses 1-10 Gbps connection and is located inside Brazil so your ping shows up as 5 ms there.

The game matchmaking system tries to find players close to your location and online rank slowly expanding the search wider, the longer you wait the higher the ping will be.

Also this game (for now, to be changed in summer 2019) uses peer-to-peer connections between killer and survivors, which requires at least ~5 Mbps upload and download speed from both killer and survivor. The game examples you listed above all use a dedicated server with ~10 Mbps-1 Gbps connection speeds which are higher than average consumers might have so you will have lower ping in games using dedicated servers.

The matchmaking system for this game is being improved constantly until the dedicated servers go online.
    For more information about that see these;
    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/36658/tech-efforts-unreal-engine-optimization-dedicated-servers#latest
    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/33798/dedicated-servers-coming-summer-2019#latest

You cannot change "countries" for this game and the game language itself doesn't matter.
    Since the 2.4.0 update you can no longer use specialized characters in the chat, at the moment only A-Z, a-z and some basic symbols work and I am guessing this will be fixed with the next patch.

How long do you have to wait until find a lobby?
    Are all lobbies 300+ ping or do you find low ping lobbies during day time (~14:00-20:00 your local time)?

@Slay___ said:
    The ping is time between you and the host measured in milliseconds.

The test website probably uses 1-10 Gbps connection and is located inside Brazil so your ping shows up as 5 ms there.

The game matchmaking system tries to find players close to your location and online rank slowly expanding the search wider, the longer you wait the higher the ping will be.

Also this game (for now, to be changed in summer 2019) uses peer-to-peer connections between killer and survivors, which requires at least ~5 Mbps upload and download speed from both killer and survivor. The game examples you listed above all use a dedicated server with ~10 Mbps-1 Gbps connection speeds which are higher than average consumers might have so you will have lower ping in games using dedicated servers.

The matchmaking system for this game is being improved constantly until the dedicated servers go online.
    For more information about that see these;
    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/36658/tech-efforts-unreal-engine-optimization-dedicated-servers#latest
    https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/33798/dedicated-servers-coming-summer-2019#latest

You cannot change "countries" for this game and the game language itself doesn't matter.
    Since the 2.4.0 update you can no longer use specialized characters in the chat, at the moment only A-Z, a-z and some basic symbols work and I am guessing this will be fixed with the next patch.

How long do you have to wait until find a lobby?
    Are all lobbies 300+ ping or do you find low ping lobbies during day time (~14:00-20:00 your local time)?

Hey, thank you for replying.

1- I actually play most games with 4~25 ping, so I think the test doesn't lie, but it only shows the best result possible. I used to play with a 80mbps connection earlier this year, but I upgraded it to a 200mbps one and that's where it all went south.
    2- Survivor lobbies are really fast to find. Takes less than 15 seconds. Killer lobbies are [BAD WORD] to me. I don't find ANY survivor even if I wait more than 30 minutes
    3- All lobbies 300+ ping, I only found a good lobby (150 ping) once and it was two months ago. And just this once, even in day time.

Btw, I'm using wifi, so the internet speed doesn't fully come through. But the problem still persists when I play in my pc using a wired connection.

• se05239se05239 Member Posts: 3,302

It seems you get connected to killers in your area that's using McDonalds Wifi internet for their games.

• Slay___Slay___ Member Posts: 246
    edited December 2018

Have you checked from what country the killers are from that you get connected to?
    You can do that from the Steam overlay by clicking view players after you have loaded into the map and after you have played the game.

Since it works just fine on killer side to find survivors I don't really know how to improve just one side of search.

You could try allowing these ports to your Windows firewall or 3rd party firewall if you use one and to modem/router whichever you use, https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

You can also try performing factory reset on your router/modem in case the NAT tables are full, this is a common issue on Counter-Strike series games which can result in finding 0 lobbies even if you search all day long.

And lastly for Windows you can try performing these commands on cmd.exe;

• ipconfig /release
    • ipconfig /flushdns
    • ipconfig /renew

@se05239 said:
    It seems you get connected to killers in your area that's using McDonalds Wifi internet for their games.

Actually, my internet speed is way higher than the average here.
    Yep, they are all from South America, including Brazil, but the thing I don't understand is that even brazilian ones have 300+ ping. I got one from Chile with 1100+ ping ayyyyyy

Also, about the ports, I already tried doing that, and it didn't change anything.
    Also, tried messing around with the cmd, including the commands you recommended, but nothing changed.

Thank you, anyway, I think I will just abandon the game until the dedicated servers are launched...

• se05239se05239 Member Posts: 3,302

@Rozenlied said:

@se05239 said:

Dead by Daylight currently relies on a Peer-to-Peer connection system, meaning that the host act as the "server".
    The killer is always the host in Dead by Daylight and since you end up with extremely high ping as survivors, that means your host (the killer) got a pretty awful internet. You might have a good internet but your neighbors and their neighbors, are using potato routers on wifi connection to play DbD.

• sims1o7sims1o7 Member Posts: 2

How did you get that screenshot of your network information? Is that a program? Because I have no idea what my ping is..

• KhaineGBKhaineGB Member, Mod Posts: 250

That'd be speedtest.net

• sims1o7sims1o7 Member Posts: 2

Thank you even thought I know my internet is shitty lol